to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OnLive has over 1.5 million active users

Your comments on our articles.

Number "growing rapidly" and expected to continue to do so under new company

OnLive has more than 2.5 million subscribers, with an active base of over 1.5 million, according to the embattled cloud gaming firm.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

OnLive has over 1.5 million active users

Postby WraithBringer » 20 Aug 2012, 14:40

Sony have sold more Vitas... jesus. :/

Not that I have anything against Vita, I own one myself. But if the console struggling the most on the market has a bigger install base, how does OnLive intend on being a big player?
WraithBringer 30

Re: OnLive has over 1.5 million active users

Postby B_G_G » 20 Aug 2012, 15:41

WraithBringer wrote:Sony have sold more Vitas... jesus. :/

Not that I have anything against Vita, I own one myself. But if the console struggling the most on the market has a bigger install base, how does OnLive intend on being a big player?

Its actually worse than that. A lot worse.

The number of people actually actively using OnLive concurrently (at the same time) is about 1,600. That number includes people playing for free. Which will be a very high % I would imagine.

For comparisons sake, 1,609 people played Tropico 4 on Steam concurrently today.

There is no maths that makes Onlive sustainable in its current business model.
B_G_G 51

Postby Leders » 20 Aug 2012, 16:11

I played onlive a couple of times, when I got Space Marine for £1... thought, this is ok, not too laggy, would be good if my laptop was not capable of anything great, but sadly for onlive, my laptop is, and as its a laptop, I sometimes go where I dont want to be found, and has no decent internet connection. This is why I will stick with Steam (granted its offline mode chooses its times to go wrong) and having my stuff locally.

As news on the Ouya has been quiet recently, I wonder if that will increase its concurrant active user base? I know many are going crazy for it (i'm still not conviced there is any need for it).

I applaud the Idea, but the buisness sense behind the scene's is like at my work, it appears no thought went into it other than, buy buy buy, worry about the consequences later. I feel for the staff that got the boot.
Leders 43

Postby richomack360 » 20 Aug 2012, 16:12

Before I take this report seriously I need to clarify a few points:

Define active – what is the frequency of user activity that makes them active ? Once a month? Once a week ? – train companies define an arrival being on time with a 7minute window either side of the expected time.

2.5 million subscribers, with 1 million “active” – that’s only about 40% of people taking an interest – how many of the other 1.5 million non active subscribers are just paying monthly because they cannot be bothered to cancel the subscription ?

What is the user retention of the service ?

Worrying paragraph alert:

“Over the weekend OnLive CEO Steve Perlman blamed huge server running costs for pushing the company into the red, saying: "If you've got 8,000 servers and 1,600 [concurrent] users, how could we ever get to cash flow positive, right?

There you have it …this “CEO” has blamed the servers for costing too much – did he not realise how much they would cost to use/ run before launching the service ?? and 1,600 concurrent users…compare that to the “1million active” users into a percentage – that’s grim, real grim.

Then to say “how could we ever get to cash flow positive” – that is worrying, he sounds like a man out of his depth. Time to move on and let someone take over who knows how much it costs to run a server

What is Onlive's plan to increas user uptake / retention and to turn the 1.5 million "inactive" accounts into "active" accounts ? All they have done is shift the responsibility of debt and not much else.....shocking

Duncan Bannatyne says “im out”
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby JeffersonRP96 » 20 Aug 2012, 16:27

The only good thing I see about OnLive is the controller looks quite nice. Can anyone verify the comfiness of said controller?
That awkward moment where your sarcasm is so advanced that people actually think you're stupid...
JeffersonRP96 42

Xbox Live: JeffersonRP96
PSN ID: JeffersonRP96
Steam: JeffersonRP96

Postby stealth » 20 Aug 2012, 19:30

thats nothing
stealth 47