to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OnLive survives death with new company established

Your comments on our articles.

Majority of previous workforce no longer at the company; all services expected to resume without disruption

Embattled cloud gaming firm OnLive has reformed as a new business with the promise that no services will be disrupted.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

OnLive survives death with new company established

Postby richomack360 » 20 Aug 2012, 13:12

B-b-b-b-but people said streaming etc was the future....

Surely they can't be wrong and the bubble already bursting ? Like the pay-to-win bubble is near bursting...
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: OnLive survives death with new company established

Postby martinawatson » 20 Aug 2012, 14:04

richomack360 wrote:B-b-b-b-but people said streaming etc was the future....

Surely they can't be wrong and the bubble already bursting ? Like the pay-to-win bubble is near bursting...

B-bb-b-b-b-bb- streaming actually definitly is the future , without question, surely you didnt think it was going to be all smooth sailing did u :lol:
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby richomack360 » 20 Aug 2012, 14:07

martinawatson wrote:
richomack360 wrote:B-b-b-b-but people said streaming etc was the future....

B-bb-b-b-b-bb- streaming actually definitly is the future , without question, surely you didnt think it was going to be all smooth sailing did u :lol:

From what the Director of this company was saying - yes. in reality, no.

Streaming will ONLY be the future if the UK's infrastructure remains in the dark ages.

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby mogwatch » 20 Aug 2012, 14:14

The problem with this is that when it does go bust, all the people who bought the box, will be left with nothing. Its not like a Dreamcast, SNES etc where people can still play their games to this day, it a throw away disposable console, once its finished its life span, that's it, no more games.
mogwatch 17

Postby Padua » 20 Aug 2012, 14:39

richomack360 wrote:Streaming will ONLY be the future if the UK's infrastructure remains in the dark ages.

Dude - that is exactly whystreaming is the [b]future[/b ] :|

I wouldn't blame streaming - more bad management.
Even I, as an Onlive fan can't believe their horrendous running costs!

richomack360 wrote:The problem with this is that when it does go bust, all the people who bought the box, will be left with nothing. Its not like a Dreamcast, SNES etc where people can still play their games to this day, it a throw away disposable console, once its finished its life span, that's it, no more games.

I loved my original XBox. When I got my Wii and PS3 it stayed in the box. Don't play Game boy either. I have no clue whatever happened to my N64 (!)

I don't believe the majority of people actually care about looking backward - although I can understand collectors doing so.
When I get a next-gen console I doubt I'd use my PS3 as much more than a blu-ray player - unless it has one built in...
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Toasted_PSP » 20 Aug 2012, 15:50

Padua wrote:
richomack360 wrote:The problem with this is that when it does go bust, all the people who bought the box, will be left with nothing. Its not like a Dreamcast, SNES etc where people can still play their games to this day, it a throw away disposable console, once its finished its life span, that's it, no more games.

I loved my original XBox. When I got my Wii and PS3 it stayed in the box. Don't play Game boy either. I have no clue whatever happened to my N64 (!)

But OnLive is a current generation system. Its not like moving on from Xbox to the new generation with PS3, its more like Sony going out of business and you losing all your current games which you would then have to buy again on 360 to play or possible even continue playing to get the end of the story should the company go bust while your in the middle of a game.

This is the major under lying issue with Cloud and DD gaming if you are required to buy the games. The whole business model is flawed at the moment. People who buy lots of games and keep collections wont buy games from the cloud because of the chance the company goes bust and you lose your collection while the people who trade regularly wont want to purchase games from the Cloud because they cannot trade them when they have finished. Cloud is ideal as a rental service but not as a purchasing service.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby richomack360 » 20 Aug 2012, 15:59

Padua wrote:Dude - that is exactly whystreaming is the future :|

I wouldn't blame streaming - more bad management.
Even I, as an Onlive fan can't believe their horrendous running costs!

Dude ? it's Sir.

I would never trust, what essentially is, a rental company - its just not good business sense to lease something like near disposable media like computer games. I would rather buy the product, which i can enjoy at any point, at any time and not at the mercy of poor business practices and internet connections.

Stupid idea. Brilliant if the tech was right, but it's not - and won't be for a very long time.

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby alan666 » 20 Aug 2012, 19:56

Debt free, so how much was written off & lost ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027