to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OnLive hit with layoffs, set for closure today - report

Your comments on our articles.

Update: Entire staff laid off, report citing 'affected employee' claims

Reports have emerged that cloud gaming firm OnLive has laid off all its staff and "will no longer exist" by the end of today.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ted1138 » 17 Aug 2012, 21:19

Shame...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby zinaptik » 17 Aug 2012, 21:22

your slow CVG

Brian Jaquet has reached out to several outlets and confirmed OnLive would not be shutting down. However, he neither confirmed nor denied whether OnLive's employee's had been laid off.
zinaptik 47

Re: OnLive hit with layoffs, set for closure today - report

Postby illage2 » 17 Aug 2012, 21:34

Not surprised to be honest. At least the service is still running but we must also take into account that if there is no staff then there will be no one to fix stuff should it go wrong. I have an Onlive account but I've never actually used it glad I didn't now.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Stryker89 » 17 Aug 2012, 21:42

They might have denied the closure rumours, but there's no doubt that their future hangs in the balance. Onlive just hasn't taken off at all.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby RustySpoon80 » 17 Aug 2012, 21:42

I've just got my fibre optic broadband enabled and was going to give it another go on my Xperia Play.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby Riffxxx » 17 Aug 2012, 21:55

Silly idea anyway :roll:
Riffxxx 35

Postby Windowlicker79 » 17 Aug 2012, 21:57

RustySpoon80 wrote:I've just got my fibre optic broadband enabled and was going to give it another go on my Xperia Play.

I've tried it. Its clunky at best. It only really works over wifi. It barely works over even the best 3g/HSDPA connections and will destroy your data allowance incredibly quickly, so the only option really is to play it at home over wifi which is pretty pointless if you have a proper games console.
Also the Xperia Play's analogue things aren't really up to the job.

In other disappointing Xperia Play news, Sony has announced the cancellation of plans for updating firmware to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 due to too many problems during testing :-(
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 17 Aug 2012, 22:00

When so many awesome games can be owned so cheaply second hand why would people pay a monthly rental to play games in sub par resolution.

Onlive was a fantastic core idea badly implemented, its legacy will be that both Sony and Microsoft will adopt the streaming tech into maybe current and definately future consoles.

I suppose all i can say is thanks for trying, for playing your part in the history of the industry and good luck to all in finding future employment.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby TechnoWolf » 17 Aug 2012, 22:32

Understandable considering the little advertisement done. The only time I remember onlive exists is when I see an article about it...Now I wonder if the masses even know of onlive?
TechnoWolf 61

Postby timewarp1 » 17 Aug 2012, 22:35

And PSN got hacked the other day...
timewarp1 46

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 17 Aug 2012, 22:35

If this is true and I don't normally do this but sorry :lol: :lol: I know this is terrible for the people who lost their jobs but this is a great win for gamers. All that propaganda about how Onlive will kill off home consoles and that its the future! The business model sucks huge ass! Only idiots purchased (glorified rental) games from there!

I know someone will take over but this is a nice middle finger to those that said were claiming death of PC's and consoles! 8)

The whole business model was s**t for gamers, the whole idea of being able to game only when your internet is on is ridiculous and unreliable. On top of that the service is poor with low youtube quality video and high latency on a 50MB connection and 20ms ping.

Ofc course this all depends on if this is even true, no doubt they've barely made any money at all seeing as there's a poor selection of games and no game websites have been covering any news for onlive. CVG did their huge paid for campaign on here sucking off Onlive bosses cocks about why Onlive is the best thing since slice bread, but failed to mention anything at all negative :?
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Aug 2012, 22:55

It's the future!
dwhlufc 76

Postby johnafirth » 17 Aug 2012, 23:02

dwhlufc wrote:It's the future!

Yup. A few years in the future.
johnafirth 21

Postby Malmo » 17 Aug 2012, 23:10

They just took on too much too soon. It's never been a perfectly operation service (latency issues, low quality graphic/physics settings), they needed a better business plan to begin with, such as getting it available on tablets, phones and with a compatible controller straight away. You almost need something already established like xbox live and/or psn to grow into what onlive wanted to be. Just starting out exclusively with something no one really knows very much about was very unlikely to work, and the investment must have been extremely expensive.
It was all very well early on boasting about reaching 1 million members, but when it's heavily publicized getting a million members off the internet isn't hard for anything when it's free. How many were actually paying customers was debatable, and i'm assuming it wasn't very many.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby JBoo » 17 Aug 2012, 23:40

@timewarp1 "And PSN got hacked the other day..."

Er NO it didn't! LoL:D

It was another CR*P false 'Kotaku' story(what a pile of sh*t that site is) Just like 99% of online gaming sites just full of sh*t.
JBoo 31

Next