CVG Classics: 'GameCube reveal kicks sand in Sony's face!'

Your comments on our articles.

Issue 227, October 2000: "Awesome! Driver 2"

Welcome to this week's trip down Tree Murder Lane, where nobody cares who publishes what game, dub step doesn't exist yet and absolutely nobody can call us lazy sods in the comments.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CVG Classics: 'GameCube reveal kicks sand in Sony's face!'

Postby BeansOnToast » 17 Aug 2012, 16:59

Yes, the Nintendo Game Boy Advance. People were peeved at the time that Game Boy still wasn't backlit.
BeansOnToast 30

Re: CVG Classics: 'GameCube reveal kicks sand in Sony's face

Postby JeffersonRP96 » 17 Aug 2012, 17:09

Mmmmmm... Jaffa Cakes...

That awkward moment where your sarcasm is so advanced that people actually think you're stupid...
JeffersonRP96 44

Xbox Live: JeffersonRP96
PSN ID: JeffersonRP96
Steam: JeffersonRP96

Postby El Mag » 17 Aug 2012, 17:27

It might have looked silly and threw my decor right off but the GameCube has been one of my best consoles yet.

So much so that I've still got Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and the Resident Evil remake in my collection. Despite getting rid of the console years ago.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby illage2 » 17 Aug 2012, 17:48

El Mag wrote:It might have looked silly and threw my decor right off but the GameCube has been one of my best consoles yet.

So much so that I've still got Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and the Resident Evil remake in my collection. Despite getting rid of the console years ago.

You can play em on the Wii :D
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby charliecheswick » 17 Aug 2012, 19:10

Ah,the memories. I remember being wowed by the GC wood creature tech demo shown in C&VG ( i think ),can't believe it was over eleven years ago. Still have Wind Waker,Resi 4 and Rogue Squadron 2 in one of my gaming shoeboxes.
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby me4pd » 17 Aug 2012, 20:09

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh....... Gamecube. The only console I have ever bought at midnight. RS II on the new widescreen TV at 2 in the morning, trying to find that happy medium between cinema loud and don't-wake-people-up-quiet.

Said the GAME assistant:
"Do you want RF or component leads?"
PHREEEEOOOOOOOWWWW!

Then the Great Gaming Crash where all my games were nicked. Only 3 games were left: Harvest Moon, the remake of RE aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddddddd:

wait for it

Crazy taxi.
me4pd 48

Postby jm3811 » 18 Aug 2012, 08:25

"the Great Gaming Crash where all my games were nicked"... that must hurt :(
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby me4pd » 18 Aug 2012, 10:55

Thanks man. Only GameCube games and not from other consoles but when you lose your Marios and zeldas and f-zeros......
me4pd 48

Postby Balladeer » 18 Aug 2012, 15:06

Funnily enough, the GC's the only home console I've managed not to lose. Lost my first 64 in a break-in and my second Wii (after the first one died a death on New Year's Eve 2006) by leaving it on a train. Came back two minutes later, but which time of course it was too late.

What did you end up re-buying? Wind Waker, right? You can't not re-buy Wind Waker! (Although that bloody stealth section...)
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby beemoh » 19 Aug 2012, 22:40

>We listen.

They do. Nice one, guys!
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby Jingee » 20 Aug 2012, 12:08

Ahhhhh Driver 2. I remember my mate showed me GTA III, and I was instantly hooked. Unfortunately, I had to wait 2 months to get it, and so had to play Driver 2 and pretend it was GTA. I still have nightmares of those 2 months.
Jingee 51

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 20 Aug 2012, 18:09

Gamecube was, and still is awesome. I still play mine today, I've been replaying Wind Waker. I remember waiting for Twilight Princess for years, I was devastated when I found out they had delayed the game again, so it could be a launch title for the Wii. At least they still released it on Gamecube, but it sucked having to wait so long when I had no intention of buying a Wii at launch.
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Postby runadumb » 21 Aug 2012, 09:30

The Gamecube was my best console buy as I got it during the firesale. What. A. Bargain.

My nephew has it now though. Luckily Dolphin means that isn't a problem. :wink:

I will finish Windwaker one day, I swear!

Hey CVG, any chance you could put those old mags up on ye old internet for free? My memories of CVG are it ruining Resident Evil 2 by telling me EVERYTHING during the preview and it going to pants with the 5 star reviews haha. I can't remember much before that even though I was reading it.
runadumb 62

Postby DoomGuy84 » 21 Aug 2012, 10:04

I recently bought Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike for the GC and the graphics on that game would not look out of place on a 360. Great little console, it had the same feel as an N64 but a lot more powerful. Its such a shame Rare went to Microsoft otherwise we would have seen proper Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fur Day sequels on it.
DoomGuy84 31

Postby me4pd » 23 Aug 2012, 10:16

Balladeer wrote:Funnily enough, the GC's the only home console I've managed not to lose. Lost my first 64 in a break-in and my second Wii (after the first one died a death on New Year's Eve 2006) by leaving it on a train. Came back two minutes later, but which time of course it was too late.

What did you end up re-buying? Wind Waker, right? You can't not re-buy Wind Waker! (Although that bloody stealth section...)

The hell are you talking about? The stealth bit was ace! You just didn't Ilike it because you found it too tough huh?
I've been trying to re-buy ww as it happens but I'm a cheapskate because I won't bid over a certain amount on eBay and I've got a buddy who lends it to me every so often. I'm considering holding out to see if a wii u vc for gc titles appears. Although I'm then leaving myself open to abuse by nintendos price-setting lunatics...
me4pd 48

Next