to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Assassin's Creed 3: Hands-on with faster paced multiplayer

Your comments on our articles.

4-on-4 Domination mode played and rated

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood proved that it was possible to build an exciting free-for-all multiplayer game around the concept of stealth. As you may recall, it threw you in the middle a bustling city and asked you to assassinate a designated player, with little more to go on than a portrait of their mush and a rough guide to their current location.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Assassin's Creed 3: Hands-on with faster paced multiplayer

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 17 Aug 2012, 15:01

I can't wait, it looks awesome. I've always enjoyed AC multiplayer when I play with the right people, unfortunately there's a lot of roof runners and kill stealers. There's some videos of it being played on youtube. It looks a lot like Brotherhood/Revelation's multiplayer, which is a good thing. I was worried they'd noobify it to appeal to the CoD crowd.
Mortal Mad Matt 47

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Re: Assassin's Creed 3: Hands-on with faster paced multiplay

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Aug 2012, 15:17

Mortal Mad Matt wrote:I can't wait, it looks awesome. I've always enjoyed AC multiplayer when I play with the right people, unfortunately there's a lot of roof runners and kill stealers. There's some videos of it being played on youtube. It looks a lot like Brotherhood/Revelation's multiplayer, which is a good thing. I was worried they'd noobify it to appeal to the CoD crowd.

I really enjoyed it too, was a bit more unique than most online games and there was some decent strategy, but you're right, too many people just sprinting everywhere made it annoying in some games. Also became quite hard to get a game later on, seemed a bit sad when call of duty 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were played more than the last AC multiplayer.

Looking forward to this though
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby jm3811 » 17 Aug 2012, 15:29

Japanese games are better.
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 17 Aug 2012, 15:31

If you can get in a match where everyone is playing it the way it's supposed to be played, then it's really fun. It's really tense trying to figure out who is a player among all the NPCs. In a bad match you have people sprinting all over the place, with no interest in blending in.

I don't think it's just the lack of people playing the game, that makes it hard to find a match. The matchmaking seems really bad. Me and my mate can never find a match if we search together, one person has to search then the other joins once they're in a match. We don't have this problem in any other games so I doubt it's anything to do with our connection.
Mortal Mad Matt 47

Postby XFinalFateX » 17 Aug 2012, 19:01

Mortal Mad Matt wrote:I can't wait, it looks awesome. I've always enjoyed AC multiplayer when I play with the right people, unfortunately there's a lot of roof runners and kill stealers. There's some videos of it being played on youtube. It looks a lot like Brotherhood/Revelation's multiplayer, which is a good thing. I was worried they'd noobify it to appeal to the CoD crowd.

There are many fixes to roofing and kill stealing, I don't understand why the measures haven't been taken yet.
XFinalFateX 18

PSN ID: XFinal_FateX

Postby budge » 17 Aug 2012, 19:14

jm3811 wrote:Japanese games are better.

:D
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 17 Aug 2012, 21:47

XFinalFateX wrote:

There are many fixes to roofing and kill stealing, I don't understand why the measures haven't been taken yet.

The worst thing is when you manage to incognito poison someone, only for another player to sprint up and stab them. :? What kind of fixes do you mean? I don't have a problem with people running on rooftops, when they've been spotted and they're desperately trying to escape. It's just annoying when people spend the whole game on the rooftops.
Mortal Mad Matt 47

Postby jm3811 » 18 Aug 2012, 07:47

budge wrote:
jm3811 wrote:Japanese games are better.

:D

I see you are following... ;)
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby bamozzy » 18 Aug 2012, 10:39

Personally I don't play Assassins Creed games for the MP. I really liked the first and loved the second but I struggled to get into Brotherhood (I haven't completed it because of this) and never got Revelations because of this. I tried the MP on Brotherhood and wasn't overly impressed. It certainly wasn't appealing enough for me to warrant playing it when there are so many other MP games I prefer. So many things just didn't appeal to me about Revelations - the tower defense type bits, the extra Desmond stuff and the MP too.

Certain aspects about Assassins Creed 3 do look interesting and I am considering purchasing this - however the MP is not one of these aspects. If I do buy this I may give it a try but Assassins Creed has always been about the Single player story and that is by far the main reason for buying this. I hope it has more in common with Assassins Creed 2 as for me that was the best the series has offered. I must say I was more interested in 3 when I saw the first trailer however certain other aspects has put me off a bit and this has moved down my list of games wanted.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby WHITEyy118 » 19 Aug 2012, 19:42

In the right company, it's legitimately one of the finest and most psychologically pulsating multiplayer games of this generation. Sadly, you are unlikely to find the right company on Xbox Live or PSN. An endless succession of jump-happy, roof-running game-ruining idiots suggests there is still a lot of resistance amongst mainstream gamers to play online at anything less than full pelt.

This. On paper the whole idea of AC MP is just amazing, and I'm sure when UBI came up with it they got really excited and thought they were on to a winner. However nowadays, as mentioned above, certain gamers live life at full pelt and cannot be patient. So the MP hasn't lived up to it's full potential, which is a shame.

Now I remember Splinter Cell: Double Agent (also by UBI) about 5-6 years back which was about stealth and most of the time games were thrilling. There is many possible reasons behind why that was but the 2 major points I would say are because of how gamers have changed but also the way the game was set out. Basically 1 team was the underdogs and stealth was the only way to succeed while the opposition had weapons and, on paper, had the upper hand. Now AC doesn't have such differences which is why IMO AC's MP lacks. Gamemode dependent, all players are on an even playing field and while playing stealthy has its advantages there is no reason not to run about, other than reduced kill bonuses. I'm not saying full auto guns is the answer and remove the ability to climb (it's AC for god sake) but, individual game modes aside, there should be more differences between teams, perks and abilities etc. However it is a big ask as games nowadays are all based on fairness and balancing, which also explains why most MP games become a bore so quickly.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 20 Aug 2012, 15:35

WHITEyy118 wrote:Gamemode dependent, all players are on an even playing field and while playing stealthy has its advantages there is no reason not to run about, other than reduced kill bonuses.

The kill bonuses are significantly reduced though, which is why I don't understand all the idiots running all over the place. You will usually only get 100 points for sprinting up to someone and stabbing them, whereas you can get over 1000 for the right incognito focus kill.
Mortal Mad Matt 47

Postby WHITEyy118 » 20 Aug 2012, 16:12

Mortal Mad Matt wrote:
WHITEyy118 wrote:Gamemode dependent, all players are on an even playing field and while playing stealthy has its advantages there is no reason not to run about, other than reduced kill bonuses.

The kill bonuses are significantly reduced though, which is why I don't understand all the idiots running all over the place. You will usually only get 100 points for sprinting up to someone and stabbing them, whereas you can get over 1000 for the right incognito focus kill.

I do understand and that's how I used to play. It was so hilarious just having your target run at you only for you to stop them in their tracks and earn masses of points. But again, as the article says, certain games the majority of places would run about like headless chickens which meant more players had to run after them for a kill (a vicious circle).

The simple fact is the casuals (true casuals) look to play games the easiest way possible and running allows them to do that. And the downside is that game nowadays are designed to appeal to the casuals and games are almost 'dumed down'. To be totally honest unless it games like CTF (artifact), where running and evading is the main focus, climbing/running should be penalised. Sure you need to evade targets trying to assassinate you in deathmatch but that's why you have abilities. Those abilities should then cancel the contract there and then and NOT initiate a chase sequence. That's my opinion anyway.
WHITEyy118 39