to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Interview: The next Patrice Desilets

Your comments on our articles.

Assassin's Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson explains how he wants to reshape Ubisoft's star IP

So how stressed is the man who has stepped into the shoes of Assassin's Creed's spiritual father, Patrice Desilets? How does it feel to spearhead production on what is likely the most expensive and important individual game project in Ubisoft's garlanded history?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby brocklaser » 17 Aug 2012, 10:50

Could you tell us more about Assassin's Creed 3 on Wii U?
Well, the cool thing is that Assassin's Creed 3 is the same game across all consoles. It's all the same game. No one has the cut-down version, no one has the elite edition. Wii U is visually the same as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and we're adding a little bit on the tablet controller.

Although apparently the PS3 version has an extra 90 minutes... so how is that the EXACT same game....?
brocklaser 3
New user

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 17 Aug 2012, 10:54

Well thats all but confirmed that this is going to blow. I had my worries and i still hope i'm wrong but, If the head creative director has no interest in Historical stories when hes making a game that all bout history, then how is it going to be anything but shite.

Also Nintendo get away wiht bringing out the same characters year after year because the games are decidedly diferent. they're series's in themselves and as such its really several different franchises that star the same characters. Not one Series thats being trotted out every year like assassins creed has become. The problem that i see with AC as an annual series is that it has a single narrative and its one with a finite lifespan.

They have less than three hundred years of left untill we get into the present day and desmond has already found the apple and the day that the templars were gooing to take over is pretty much here.

How far are they intending to spread that story. It can only go so far before it falls flat.

And Japanese games get away with having batshit stories because thats part of their culture, go and watch some japanese films, read some manga or watch some anime. You can't fight perseeved racisim by being just as bigeoted you just look like a dick.

Bayonetta is praised for having one of the best fighting systems ever and you litterally end the game by kicking god in the nuts! If thats not awesome i don't know what is.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Re: Interview: The next Patrice Desilets

Postby Dralight » 17 Aug 2012, 11:36

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Well thats all but confirmed that this is going to blow. I had my worries and i still hope i'm wrong but, If the head creative director has no interest in Historical stories when hes making a game that all bout history, then how is it going to be anything but shite.

They have less than three hundred years of left untill we get into the present day and desmond has already found the apple and the day that the templars were gooing to take over is pretty much here.

How far are they intending to spread that story. It can only go so far before it falls flat.

What he means by that is they don't want to create a story focusing on either side of the war, instead it's about the ongoing Templars vs Assassins struggle (as it always has been.) It was stated the American Revolution is basically the backdrop for the game, not the main focus of the story.

And about Desmond, it's been stated that ACIII is the end of his story, it was always planned to end in this game so I don't think they'll stretch it out anymore. Also how close they are to the present day doesn't matter either, since they said they could always go further back in history rather than having to move forward and, well... running out of history to use.
Dralight 1
New user

Postby muffkin » 17 Aug 2012, 18:25

how can you say there is a bias in favor of the stories in japanese games? Other M and Final Fantasy XIII have been called out for having downright terrible writing, and critics barely mentioned how ME3 bastardized the franchise.
muffkin 1
New user

Postby innuendo » 18 Aug 2012, 05:45

He seems to be confusing campy story for "brilliant" gameplay in Bayonetta at least.
I also recall critics generally praising Gears' story.
innuendo 2
New user

Postby beemoh » 18 Aug 2012, 19:17

>Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

Here's the thing: Bayonetta's story was never conceived as anything other than a silly, fanservicey character and a handful of even fancervicier jokes. Bayo hit that target and rightfully received praise for it. Gears 3 writer Karen Traviss, on this very website, made a big show of the fact that she was writing the story for Gears 3, acted like the entire games biz was broken because every single game wasn't some great literary masterpiece and generally blew her own trumpet about how great the story was going to be (all a bit like what you're doing here, Mr. Hutchinson) ...and it was a bit disappointing, and the game was rightfully called out for it.

(It doesn't help that it's trendy at the moment to pick on story and gameplay like that seen in Gears, but that's an aside)

It boils down to expectation, and how it's managed. Oh, and that games are for gameplay first, not story.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59