to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo "refuses to acknowledge" blood minerals issue

Your comments on our articles.

Advocacy group points finger at Nintendo

Nintendo is the worst offender when it comes to tracing the use of "conflict minerals" in its products, according to a report by advocacy group Enough Project.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby liquidtmd » 17 Aug 2012, 06:27

'Articles you may also like - Manic Miner'

Is this showing for everyone else or is it just my phone browser with a gallows sense of humour this morning?
liquidtmd 10

Postby SavageEvil » 17 Aug 2012, 06:31

Someone explain to me what the point of this is? We have Apple and other America companies who wilfully move operations overseas to find cheap labor(Foxconn) so exactly what is this crap? What's with the rose tinted glasses when it's not your favorite company? There will always be a market for cheap labor until the entire world in on the same level. It's not right but things will happen when no one is looking and those who see tend to overlook if enough money is passed their way. It's how man is, he wants to have more than the other guy over there...competitive all the time even to the point of oppressing others. What you think the countries somehow magically built into empires on their own blood sweat and tears...
SavageEvil 51

Re: Nintendo

Postby flyfletch » 17 Aug 2012, 07:17

SavageEvil wrote:Someone explain to me what the point of this is? We have Apple and other America companies who wilfully move operations overseas to find cheap labor(Foxconn) so exactly what is this crap? What's with the rose tinted glasses when it's not your favorite company? There will always be a market for cheap labor until the entire world in on the same level. It's not right but things will happen when no one is looking and those who see tend to overlook if enough money is passed their way. It's how man is, he wants to have more than the other guy over there...competitive all the time even to the point of oppressing others. What you think the countries somehow magically built into empires on their own blood sweat and tears...

Much as i agree with what you said, it doesnt mean it should be ignored. I have read articles on Nintendo before, about how they use chemicals in the production their consoles that other companies have banned outright, and they have been rated low before by environmental groups for years.

Now im no tree hugger, but if this sort of bad press was grabbed upon and a media frenzy was to come of it, it would spell very bad news for the company that likes to call itself family friendly. A lot of parents will not like the though of buying a console for their child that may have the death or slave labour of another child linked to it...

Nintendo need to sort that out before it blows up in their face, especially if our gutter press get the hold of the story and run with it.
flyfletch 71

Postby rhyfel » 17 Aug 2012, 07:51

why pick on nintendo? we all know apple are the worst culprits for this type of exploitation human and mineral.
rhyfel 37

Postby Balladeer » 17 Aug 2012, 08:06

I am a bit of a treehugger and I find this really upsetting. Thing is, Nintendo just refuses to release any information. That probably means they have something to hide, though, and frankly I'd be happy if the "gutter press" did pick this up and run with it. Best way to make Nintendo change.

rhyfel wrote:why pick on nintendo? we all know apple are the worst culprits for this type of exploitation human and mineral.

Based on what exactly?
Last edited by Balladeer on 17 Aug 2012, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TOKEN » 17 Aug 2012, 08:06

Ever heard the saying'The world is run with ignorance'what do people expect we live live in a global social class pyramid and i bet its nice at the top. :roll:
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby CurriedCat » 17 Aug 2012, 08:52

SavageEvil wrote:Someone explain to me what the point of this is? We have Apple and other America companies who wilfully move operations overseas to find cheap labor(Foxconn) so exactly what is this crap? What's with the rose tinted glasses when it's not your favorite company? There will always be a market for cheap labor until the entire world in on the same level. It's not right but things will happen when no one is looking and those who see tend to overlook if enough money is passed their way. It's how man is, he wants to have more than the other guy over there...competitive all the time even to the point of oppressing others. What you think the countries somehow magically built into empires on their own blood sweat and tears...

Slight difference between cheap labour and forcing people to work under the threat of death.

The point is that Nintendo are pretending nothing is happening and by doing so they are encouraging this to go on and are actively feeding this despicable trade.

So if you don't mind someone being killed/living a life in hell so you can play Mario then so be it, it's just that others do care about other humans.
CurriedCat 51

Postby Black Mantis » 17 Aug 2012, 09:23

Nintendo need to sort this out quickly. Most people will ignore it and continue to buy their products, but I definitely won't be and I hope many others will adopt that stance.
Black Mantis 67

Postby KippDynamite » 17 Aug 2012, 10:06

I know sometimes we take this sort of thing lightly on sites like this, but can you imagine being forced to work literally at gunpoint? Man, that is so horrible. Nintendo - and, frankly, most electronic producers - really should be on board with making this type of thing end.
KippDynamite 49

PSN ID: KippDynamite

Postby BOYD1981 » 17 Aug 2012, 10:21

CurriedCat wrote:Slight difference between cheap labour and forcing people to work under the threat of death.

And why do you think people agree to cheap labour in the first place? The alternative is no job, no money, no home, no food.

And where do you think the people pointing the guns got them from in the first place?

Yeh it's horrible that living things have to suffer so we can get cheaper goods, but at the end of the day the majority of us just don't care and the minority that do are doing nothing to help.
BOYD1981 47

Postby Black Mantis » 17 Aug 2012, 10:27

BOYD1981 wrote:
CurriedCat wrote:Slight difference between cheap labour and forcing people to work under the threat of death.

And why do you think people agree to cheap labour in the first place? The alternative is no job, no money, no home, no food.

And where do you think the people pointing the guns got them from in the first place?

Yeh it's horrible that living things have to suffer so we can get cheaper goods, but at the end of the day the majority of us just don't care and the minority that do are doing nothing to help.

If the minority are doing nothing to help, how on earth are you now aware of this issue? Just go on Youtube and search for Blood Minerals.
Black Mantis 67

Re: Thank Intel, HP and Apple; spank Nintendo

Postby jonhutson » 17 Aug 2012, 11:40

@JonHutson: Thank @Intel, @HP & #Apple for leading on #conflictminerals, ask Nintendo why it's last: @EnoughProject http://bit.ly/fHYeeg #Congo
jonhutson 1
New user

Postby nb_nmare2 » 17 Aug 2012, 12:45

Cheap labor and forced labor are two entirely different things.

Also, "cheap labor" often isn't quite as bad as certain people make out, as what these people generally fail to consider is that the average wage and average costs of goods tend to be much lower in affected countries. While a British person's food budget for a week might be £50 or £60, for a Chinese person it's only going to be a tiny fraction of that.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby sh4dow83 » 17 Aug 2012, 18:05

BOYD1981 wrote:and the minority that do are doing nothing to help.

Really? What do you think that organization that created this report is? A subject-less entity that let the report simply appear? Does that mean human rights organizations are... god?! o_O

Seriously though... Amnesty International, World Food Programme and many, many other organizations consisting of many people are helping a lot. Unfortunately, the majority of people constantly screws others so badly constantly (such as when the US government decided to reduce the already VERY measly funding for the just mentioned program while increasing their military budget by a LOT more...) that this minority simply can't fix it on their own.
sh4dow83 43

Postby sh4dow83 » 17 Aug 2012, 18:07

One more reason not to purchase anything from Nintendo. BUT... to positively highlight Microsoft, Apple, etc. - yes, one should of course mention it. But one should also point out the s**t THEY have done/supported. Because people who aren't that well informed may read this and think "Oh well, see... I just knew Apple is an awesome company".
sh4dow83 43

Next