to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

CVG Classics: Neo Geo CD, 3DO and PC Engine - The 32-bit war

Your comments on our articles.

Issue 154, September 1994: "Star Wars special!"

It's that time of the week again, when we all gather around our PC monitors and remember when it was acceptable for CVG to murder trees for its news stories.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby danhalen74 » 10 Aug 2012, 16:52

i had that issue, i remember the cover...... i feel old. thanks cvg..... ;-)
danhalen74 48

Xbox Live: danhalen74

Re: CVG Classics: Neo Geo CD, 3DO and PC Engine - The 32-bit

Postby razors edge » 10 Aug 2012, 17:26

Leaving last week's CVG Classics in its grubby 16-bit past

Aye, now what is that I spy splashed across the front cover?
razors edge 42

Postby toaplan » 10 Aug 2012, 17:39

It was definitely a good idea to wait some more months until the launch of the PS (and the Saturn, if you were a Sega fan). Still, I did get me a 3DO and a Neo Geo CD and had a lot of fun playing them, even though they couldn't compete with something like the PS1.

However, the CDi and the PC-FX had nothing going for them and are among the worst consoles ever. The PC-FX especially caused a lot of eye-rolling and head-scratching - coming from NEC, the makers of the rather cool PC Engine. It was very underpowered, never released outside Japan, ended up selling only 100K units and had a software library consisting mainly of dating sims.

Computer gaming totally dominated in Europe in the 80s, so it's understandable that there were still skeptics, when console gaming started to become mainstream thanks to the Megadrive and SNES. I was a huge Amiga fan, but began to move away from it, as games on the MD and SNES had better graphics and more responsive playability. But when the 486 processor was released and the FPS genre hit the big time with Doom, computer gaming staged a comeback - as a viable option alongside console gaming.

It's been a long, winding road to get here, but nowadays you can get games with that responsive console-quality playability on the PC, as excellent versions of arcadey games like SF4 and Sonic Generations support the X360 Windows gamepad :)
toaplan 74

Postby The_Hun1 » 10 Aug 2012, 18:40

i wish i still had a working amiga 500+or the 1200 (not the pisshy 600), it was an amazing gaming machine, many many many hours were spent wasting away playing cannon fodder, speedball 2, mega lo mania, lemmings, goblins 3, flashback, another world, chaos engine, xenon 2, zool, sensible soccer 1.1, monkey island 1 and 2, stunt car racer, lotus turbo challenge 1, 2 and 3, xj220, robocop, dizzy games, chuck rock, james pond, and james pond robocod 2, also worms, and not forgetting champ man Italia 92/93 and champ man 92/93 and 93/94.

Still remember seeing a cd-i and thinking what a load of pish in school, lets get back to multiplayer doom on the apple power pc's or battletanks with it's wireframe graphics, then going home to play the house 486 intel pc which ran at 25Mhz and could play rebel assault, got tie fighter vs x-wing for it aswell, these were the days of gaming before i had any responsibility in life.

Now where did i park my deloren again..........
Freedom is more than idea, it's a way of life and if you don't agree then move to a country that dosn't have it!!!!
The_Hun1 66

Postby beemoh » 10 Aug 2012, 19:12

>As always, If there's anything in particular not featured here that you'd like to see featured in future CVG Classic updates, please do let us know in the comments.

A list of reviews (with or without scores) would be good.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby Osiris25 » 10 Aug 2012, 19:39

Wow 1994! I remember that excitement about 32/64bit era and the 3D graphics and how games were going to look and play like real life! Of course it didn't quite work out that way but it was one of video games biggest shifts and a massive change from 2D limited tech games to full blown 3D worlds with massive stories, voice acting and CGI cut scenes. Gaming literally changed overnight and I don't think any other era has seen as bigger change to the industry as that. Sadly my Amiga 2000 was beginning to pack in and my SNES library was limited by the high cost of carts. If people complain now at £40 for a game I can't imagine how they would of coped with the £60-70 a game, which is probably equal to £100 a game in today's money.
Ahh good times :D :D :D
Osiris25 47

Postby Agent75 » 10 Aug 2012, 20:07

After seeing Road Rash and Need for Speed, I always wanted a 3DO, but I think at launch it was something like £500 then it died. Nearly ended up with a Neo Geo CD. I think at the time, you could only buy them by mail order. As for the PC Engine, can't say I was ever temped. I got sucked into the Mega Drive and SNES, I was even daft enough to buy a Mega CD and Mega Drive 32X. Mad that the 32bit war started well before the PlayStation and Saturn. Not fogetting the Commodore Amiga CD32, Jaguar and the FM Towns Marty. Also the Nintendo 64 was there with the 32bit era, even though it was a 64bit console.
Agent75 48

Postby alan666 » 10 Aug 2012, 21:47

danhalen74 wrote:i had that issue, i remember the cover...... i feel old. thanks cvg..... ;-)

me to, but those were great days in gaming.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Noobsaibot » 10 Aug 2012, 21:47

I'm liking this retrospective look at issues of the first video game magazine ever. Would really like them to be made available by PDF....
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 67

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Postby starsail » 10 Aug 2012, 23:32

ha I remember my first CVG purchase, there were reviews of Virtua Fighter on the Saturn and Ridge Racer on the Playstation. They also featured segments on Hideo's pre PS1 MGS game Snatcher (there was an image of a headless corpse lol). There was also a preview of Toshinden. I had that mag for about ten years before it went missing during a house move but it was awesome, thats even before the mag came down in price to £1.50 which for its price was also immense :)
starsail 46

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 11 Aug 2012, 00:44

Yeah sorry to be the downer here but this feature is not really that good, i thought we were going to get the full retro experience not 8 screenshots and some heavily edited text.

Theres no reason you cannot show the whole magazine, you do own the rights, you should have the entire mag in scanned form, if not ask the right forum members and we can help you out.

This could be a really cool feature if you got someone on your staff who knew what he/she was doing and actually cared about the retro aspect.

I expect nothing to change here and for the amount of comments to go down week by week on this which is a huge shame because as i have said many times before this could be a real highlight of the week.

Back on topic, i loved this version of the mag, it was probably the best time for the publication content wise as so much was about to happen in the industry, 1994 itself was rubbish though, the 32 bit era of cdi,3do etc were the absolute darkest times of the games industry only the last gen software from the sega megadrive and the snes kept the market going.

I also liked how thick each issue was back then, so much stuff packed inside, next weeks issue which i can predict as being from the 1995-1997 era was also a good version of the mag even though that was the era where we had that awfull louise and parappa the rappa cover.

Please please please go back to the drawing board and re-address what you are doing with this feature, something as important as 20+ years of games mags are not justified by a half arsed one page briefing once a week.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Laughlyn » 11 Aug 2012, 12:58

Have to agree with megatrons_fury.
Having a scanned version of the mag would be much much better. i'm actually gutted i sold all my old cvg, total, sega saturn magazine and GO! magazines at a carboot several years ago. I still have a vast collection of my official nintendo magazines (including the very first issue) i often thought about scanning n compiling all of them and posting them online, a daunting task since there is almost 20yrs worth of magazines lol
Laughlyn 55

Postby Dimlo » 11 Aug 2012, 15:03

Yeah sorry to be the downer here but this feature is not really that good, i thought we were going to get the full retro experience not 8 screenshots and some heavily edited text.

Theres no reason you cannot show the whole magazine, you do own the rights, you should have the entire mag in scanned form, if not ask the right forum members and we can help you out.

+1
Dimlo 54

Postby slatters » 11 Aug 2012, 16:02

Dimlo wrote:

+1

+2
slatters 46

Postby Barry316 » 11 Aug 2012, 16:27

And so the usual feature entitlement moaning begins.

The last two weeks it was "Wawaweewa thanks for the trip down memory lane CVG, this is great keep it up!"

Now it's "I hate it. Do more. I'll still complain if it's not to my exact specifications. If you make it bigger and spread it across multiple pages i'll also complain."
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Next