LIKE: Ganon

Your comments on our articles.

We pay tribute to Nintendo's darkest icon

Welcome to LIKE, our new semi-regular series where we praise the wonderful oddities, small miracles and flashes of genius that, in their own specific ways, have enriched videogame history.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

LIKE: Ganon

Postby squitsysam » 09 Aug 2012, 13:57

I just made an account on CVG purely to comment on this article. I thought it was superb! Ganon and Ganondorf are absolute tanks. Thanks for a great read!
squitsysam 2
New user

Re: LIKE: Ganon

Postby Zaphod_B » 09 Aug 2012, 14:45

This was a superbly written piece, well done!
"Never eat more that 2 Pan-Galatic Gargle Blasters unless you are a 30-ton Mega Elephant with Broncal Phemonia"
Zaphod_B 43

Postby born2play » 09 Aug 2012, 15:40

Ganon = best boss ever

All hail Ganon 8)
Whoring trophies since 2008
born2play 32

Xbox Live: born2play82
PSN ID: born2play07

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 09 Aug 2012, 16:07

Ocarina of Time = Best game ever made. I remember being terrified when running up the stairs to Ganondorf's castle, the music was so awesome. I've completed that game many times and loved it every time.

Ganon/dorf is definitely my favourite game villain. I loved the duel with him at the end of Wind Waker, and it's surprisingly brutal end. I loved the fight against him on Hyrule Field on Twilight Princess.

You've got me in the mood for Zelda now. :D
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Postby Jingee » 09 Aug 2012, 17:19

Truly someone we gingers can look up to.
Jingee 51

Postby TheMopFromMars » 09 Aug 2012, 17:41

I've never heard of him and I consider myself a ninty fan :?
TheMopFromMars 45

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 09 Aug 2012, 18:06

TheMopFromMars wrote:I've never heard of him and I consider myself a ninty fan :?

You're not a Nintendo fan if you've never heard of Ganon. :P
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Postby me4pd » 09 Aug 2012, 18:33

TheMopFromMars wrote:I've never heard of him and I consider myself a ninty fan :?

Colour me speechless...............
me4pd 48

Postby Balladeer » 09 Aug 2012, 19:49

Agreed with the above two posts. What about Ganondorf? Does that mean anything to you?

Spoilers:

Anyway, Ganondorf from WW was one of the best bosses ever. Not because of the battle, which, although epic, pales in comparison to his appearance in TP and his alternate self's in SS. No, it's because he's not simply black and white any more. He has loves, he feels loss: he may still be an evil bugger, but one can sympathise with him.

Sadly, Nintendo apparently forgot about this in the preceding home-console Zeldas. TP had one of my favourite final boss fights ever, but Ganon seemed almost an afterthought, overshadowed by the wonderful Zant. Similarly, Demise in SS was not only infinitely inferior to Ghirahim, but seemed to be different from Ganondorf in name alone. Specifically, the Ganondorf from OoT, whose black-and-white motive was the search for power.

Here's hoping that on the WiiU, Nintendo can remember that the so-called "kiddy Zelda" contained the most mature supervillain of the lot.
Balladeer 78

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 09 Aug 2012, 21:29

Balladeer wrote:...

Great post, I agree completely although I haven't played SS yet as I don't own a Wii (I want one though, mainly to play SS, I played TP on Gamecube). I shed a tear for Ganondorf in WW. :cry:
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Postby Balladeer » 09 Aug 2012, 21:55

Oops. Er, spoilers!
Balladeer 78

Postby Dragovian » 09 Aug 2012, 22:42

Very good article. Ridley is perhaps Nintendo's most brutal villain, but Ganon is definitely the deepest. Best appearances (to my mind) were Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but he's always welcome in my book, especially on the console Zeldas. I want to see how well he can be depicted each generation.

By the way, what is the disputed game he is in? Four Swords Adventure? I think that has the best version of his classic form, artistically-speaking.
Dragovian 34

Postby Izo » 09 Aug 2012, 22:52

Balladeer wrote:Oops. Er, spoilers!

I've edited for the sake of spoilers, on topic (Spoilers):

I agree as a character WW's incarnation is best by far while the boss battles in the following games were far better, the main villains in them were much better as characters (even if in Zant's case they unfortunately took off the mask) although in SS I will say Demise is meant to be seen as a precursor to Ganon and Ganondorf they're his incarnations or at least two of them the other being Agahim from Alttp (looking at the timeline only a small period of it has actually been shown in the series so these 3 obviously aren't the only ones either). Demise is the origin of the cycle of darkness in the series, Ganondorf in WW wasn't black and white because essentially he's the only incarnation to experience the actual consequence of his action.
Izo 71
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Postby Rob Crossley » 09 Aug 2012, 23:09

Dragovian wrote:Very good article. Ridley is perhaps Nintendo's most brutal villain, but Ganon is definitely the deepest. Best appearances (to my mind) were Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but he's always welcome in my book, especially on the console Zeldas. I want to see how well he can be depicted each generation.

By the way, what is the disputed game he is in? Four Swords Adventure? I think that has the best version of his classic form, artistically-speaking.

JESUS! Really need to write a piece on Ridley! :D

Thanks to all for the kind comments
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby Balladeer » 10 Aug 2012, 07:54

Izo wrote:(Spoilers):

I agree as a character WW's incarnation is best by far while the boss battles in the following games were far better, the main villains in them were much better as characters (even if in Zant's case they unfortunately took off the mask) although in SS I will say Demise is meant to be seen as a precursor to Ganon and Ganondorf they're his incarnations or at least two of them the other being Agahim from Alttp (looking at the timeline only a small period of it has actually been shown in the series so these 3 obviously aren't the only ones either). Demise is the origin of the cycle of darkness in the series, Ganondorf in WW wasn't black and white because essentially he's the only incarnation to experience the actual consequence of his action.

(More of them spoiler-ish things for Skyward Sword.)

I'll tell you what really annoyed me about D-Mise (as he's known in the rapping community): when you first meet him (in reincarnated form) he seems to actually be quite noble for a villain, allowing you to get prepared and stuff, but once you actually meet him for the final battle he behaves like every other evil nutjob in the series, belittling you and saying how the world will be his blah blah blah. If they'd kept that sort of respect for Link (in a begrudging enemy-ish way), it would have made him slightly less of a boring villainous stereotype.
Balladeer 78

Next