to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

GRID 2: The sequel's finally confirmed - first play, first d

Your comments on our articles.

Codies rewinds the clock for the racer of the future...

The rough-and-ready suspension physics from Colin McRae: Dirt 3. The state-of-the-art aerodynamics and tyre/surface interaction from F1 2012. The exhilarating speed and flair for the dramatic from the original Race Driver: Grid. Like a rich boy racer, Codemasters is assembling their next big racing hopeful by plucking only the most powerful custom parts off the shelf.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GRID 2: The sequel's finally confirmed - first play, first d

Postby budge » 08 Aug 2012, 09:01

I hope the car handling had improved over the first game, I thought it was horrible. :(
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Re: GRID 2: The sequel's finally confirmed - first play, fir

Postby Ali_ » 08 Aug 2012, 09:08

Sorry, but I had to laugh at:

"The original Race Driver: Grid had a thriving online community"

That'll be the one Codemasters took offline on PC and PS3 last year, only 3 years after launch? Do they really expect fans to trust them again? Add to that the mess they've made of the PS3 F1 games and I won't be bothering with this until I see some commitment from Codemasters to actually support their own community properly.
Ali_ 56

Postby CurriedCat » 08 Aug 2012, 09:42

budge wrote:I hope the car handling had improved over the first game, I thought it was horrible. :(

The handling was weird in Grid. Felt like the car was rotating around the centre of the car.
CurriedCat 51

Postby Mobius01 » 08 Aug 2012, 10:37

budge wrote:I hope the car handling had improved over the first game, I thought it was horrible. :(

THIS.

If they make the handling more sim-like then they have a sale.

(Kudos for the Adventure Time avvy :wink: )
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby Agent75 » 08 Aug 2012, 11:05

I agree, the handling was quite dodgy, but also the AI was very annoying.
Agent75 48

Postby BenThomasFoster » 08 Aug 2012, 15:48

are all these poster mad!Grid's handeling is part of what made grid, GRID! without the 'wierd' handleing it won't be as exciting nor will it be any different from need for speed shift or any arcade sim out there
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 09 Aug 2012, 00:33

BenThomasFoster wrote:are all these poster mad!Grid's handeling is part of what made grid, GRID! without the 'wierd' handleing it won't be as exciting nor will it be any different from need for speed shift or any arcade sim out there

I agree, it is the unusual and slightly random handling of Grid (and also Shift 2) that keep you on the edge of your seat and feeling like you cant let up or you might get bummed, unlike Forza and GT where once you are in front it's relatively plain sailing.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby dangermou5e » 09 Aug 2012, 09:59

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:
BenThomasFoster wrote:are all these poster mad!Grid's handeling is part of what made grid, GRID! without the 'wierd' handleing it won't be as exciting nor will it be any different from need for speed shift or any arcade sim out there

I agree, it is the unusual and slightly random handling of Grid (and also Shift 2) that keep you on the edge of your seat and feeling like you cant let up or you might get bummed, unlike Forza and GT where once you are in front it's relatively plain sailing.

These people p**s me off if they want more sim like handling then stick to Gran Turismo and Forza and leave Grid alone.
360GT=ngc dangermouse
PSNGT=uk_danger
---------------------------------------------
Gaming since 1982 Atari 2600 1st game= Pole Postion oh yeah!!
dangermou5e 60

Xbox Live: NGC dangermouse
PSN ID: uk_danger

Postby Ali_ » 09 Aug 2012, 11:17

THe handling was fine for an arcade sim, but Codemaster's support for PS3, lately, has been woeful. Turning of the original Grid servers after only 3 years, despite them still being popular, and the worst port of a game since PS3 launched in the awful F1 2011.
Ali_ 56

Postby toaplan » 09 Aug 2012, 14:48

"On the contrary, it's one of the prettier racers out there - even when it's taking in the relatively uninspiring sights of downtown Chicago."

I was quite impressed by the sights of downtown Chicago, IRL and in Nolan's Dark Knight. The city feels modern, spacious, organized and magnificent. Ample parks and lake Michigan alleviate the weight of the imposing skyskrapers.

Chicago-wiki:
"Unlike many Midwestern and East Coast cities, Chicago tends to have wider streets. A positive effect of this is that it alleviates the feeling of being engulfed by the city's large skyscrapers. Most of the city's residential streets also tend to have a wide patch of grass and/or trees located between the street and the sidewalk itself."

The wide streets and streetgrid layout of downtown Chicago also seem apt for the game... Looks like NFS Most Wanted isn't the only racing game on my radar anymore.
toaplan 73

Postby TheRandyNinja » 10 Aug 2012, 19:36

i love my racing games when my brother in laws come round we get out the racing wheel and all fight for the fastest lap times. i loved the car handling in dirt 3 and hope they bring that over to grid but to be honest i don't care how it turns out as long as there's an incar view they get a sale from me
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby jm3811 » 11 Aug 2012, 08:19

Took some time to tame GRID but is was well worth it. It was pretty good with the G25.
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 11 Aug 2012, 08:36

TheRandyNinja wrote:i love my racing games when my brother in laws come round we get out the racing wheel and all fight for the fastest lap times. i loved the car handling in dirt 3 and hope they bring that over to grid but to be honest i don't care how it turns out as long as there's an incar view they get a sale from me

What is it with people that if there is no incar view then no sale?

There is no in car view in GRID 2 as Codies have come out and said that 95% of the time people don't use it, so why have somehting in the game tha hardly anyone uses, and are putting that 10-15% of resources elsewhere into the game.

Personally I hate the in car view and have only ever use it once in a game and that was on Dirt 3 to get the hardcore achievement.

If you don't buy the game cos it has no incar view then it is your loss as I'lll be having fun.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby dwhlufc » 11 Aug 2012, 09:01

Why does it bother you?

Personally I like to use it now and then but it's not a sticking point for me but I fully understand why people enjoy the view. It's down to immersio, plus it actually makes the game slightly harder as you'll need to have a better memory of braking points rather than just relying on your overhead view of the track.
dwhlufc 75

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 11 Aug 2012, 09:10

dwhlufc wrote:Why does it bother you?

Personally I like to use it now and then but it's not a sticking point for me but I fully understand why people enjoy the view. It's down to immersio, plus it actually makes the game slightly harder as you'll need to have a better memory of braking points rather than just relying on your overhead view of the track.

It bothers me when people say they aren't gonna buy what is shaping up to be the best racing game this gen just because it hasn't got an incar view. That is pathetic.

It is like saying I'm not buying COD cos it hasn't got grenades in it or something very similar.

I understand it is immersive and makes the game a bit more of a challenge, but to say you aren't buying it jus cos one feature is not in it is just ridiculous. Alot people I know don't use it as they find it restrictive especially when playing online against idiots who side swipe you for no reason.

Codies say it is underused and are using the extra resources elsewhere to make everything else better then that is fine by me as GRID 1 is awesome and I have never used the in car view.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Next