to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy patch goes live

Your comments on our articles.

Four years after the game released

Konami has finally released a Metal Gear Solid 4 patch introducing Trophy support.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy patch goes live

Postby Stryker89 » 06 Aug 2012, 11:35

Installing the game as we speak!
Stryker89 57

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy patch goes live

Postby S-Smith » 06 Aug 2012, 11:49

The game is a 10/10 CVG :-/
S-Smith 41

Postby silversun_111 » 06 Aug 2012, 11:54

Might have to get back on this at some point. It puts most games released today to shame, graphically and technically. Epic
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby El Mag » 06 Aug 2012, 12:08

My first trophy on it was for snapping the cock off a statue.

If only day to day life had perks for that, we'd all be better off.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby rbt2 » 06 Aug 2012, 12:11

El Mag wrote:My first trophy on it was for snapping the cock off a statue.

If only day to day life had perks for that, we'd all be better off.

This could be a new phrase.....

...You cock snapper!

I like it!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby budge » 06 Aug 2012, 14:20

Cool, if I start installing it now, it should be ready for just after the Olympics closing ceremony. ;)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby bamozzy » 06 Aug 2012, 14:36

I have tried several time to get into this game but have always found it a little frustrating - from the point of view of all the cut scenes etc. It seemed like I would play for a few minutes and then watch for quite a while before playing for a few minutes and then watching another cut scene.

I am not denying that it is one of the best looking games on the PS3 even now after 4 years but it isn't what I call a pick up and play title. With the addition of Trophies and having a bit more time to actually sit down and play - I will have to give this another go.

A question for all those that have played through it all - Do the Cut Scenes play a prominent feature through out or do you actually get to play the game more? From my perspective and memory it seemed that there was actually more watching than playing at the start of the game - I know this might be an exaggeration but it seemed like I only played 10mins of the first hour or so
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby runadumb » 06 Aug 2012, 14:45

bamozzy wrote:I have tried several time to get into this game but have always found it a little frustrating - from the point of view of all the cut scenes etc. It seemed like I would play for a few minutes and then watch for quite a while before playing for a few minutes and then watching another cut scene.

I am not denying that it is one of the best looking games on the PS3 even now after 4 years but it isn't what I call a pick up and play title. With the addition of Trophies and having a bit more time to actually sit down and play - I will have to give this another go.

A question for all those that have played through it all - Do the Cut Scenes play a prominent feature through out or do you actually get to play the game more? From my perspective and memory it seemed that there was actually more watching than playing at the start of the game - I know this might be an exaggeration but it seemed like I only played 10mins of the first hour or so

I had the same issue with the 3rd game. 2 was bad enough but that 10 mins of gameplay you mention for the first hour is probably accurate. I don't think I did anything more than move a few feet in the third game by the time I was an hour deep. Gave up shortly after.

Stacking is the most recent game to drive me nuts with constant cutscenes. Its made worse by the fact its so short as it is.
runadumb 61

Postby Legendeer » 06 Aug 2012, 15:11

Theres a fairly big chunk of cutscenes at the beginning of MGS4, then for the first 3 chapters it gameplay/Cutscene ratio is alright, but it slowly gets more and more in favour of cutscenes until act 5 is like a 25/75% split if you include the credits
Legendeer 44

Steam: Legendeer

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 06 Aug 2012, 15:14

bamozzy wrote:I have tried several time to get into this game but have always found it a little frustrating - from the point of view of all the cut scenes etc. It seemed like I would play for a few minutes and then watch for quite a while before playing for a few minutes and then watching another cut scene.

There is more gameplay the further you get into it but cut scenes remain the biggest focus. Personally I love cut scenes especially MGS cutscenes but I you got fed up after the first hour then I wouldn't bother playing it at all.

It's a game dedicated to the fans of the story really and to bring it to an epic conclusion, I still think the final part of the game is the best ending to any game made.
Mmmmgrolsch 73

PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby KrisaimUK » 06 Aug 2012, 15:21

It's this simple. If you're a MGS fan and want the story you need to see it all through and do the flashback button presses etc. If you don't care about MGS just skip the lot but then ask why are you even playing it? Just for trophies?
KrisaimUK 30

Postby bamozzy » 06 Aug 2012, 15:44

When I first got this game I had a lot less time to actually sit and play a game - Family commitments, work etc and obviously this had an impact on my 'need' when it came to gaming. At the time I wanted to 'Play' and only had maybe an hour or two to actually do so - I was probably a little more tired (mentally and physically as well) and so it did frustrate me a little. If you only have an hour or so and only spend 10 minutes of that actually gaming I am sure you can understand my frustration and annoyance.

These times of available gaming was also a lot more sporadic so I may not get an opportunity again for a few days or more. This did make it very difficult to get into the game. What I remember of the actual gaming parts though, It did seem quite good and I hoped that there would be more but As I never had much time to dedicate to it and obviously wanted to just play when I did get a gaming opportunity it didn't feature very highly on my list of games to play.

My circumstances have changed now so that I do have more time and longer playing sessions too so that I can revisit this game. I do enjoy a good story too but I also feel that a game should be just that. I don't have an issue with cut scenes in general but if they take over too much it feels more like an interactive movie. I had hoped that MGS4 was more than that and know that cut-scenes are important to it. I also hope that I play more than an hour if the game goes on for 12hrs for example though!

The trophies aren't that important to me - I wouldn't be playing it specifically for those - but they are an added incentive to revisit this game.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby thelazyone » 06 Aug 2012, 16:09

Without sounding like a douche bag but is this really a big deal?

4 years old people.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 56

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby sbradley88 » 06 Aug 2012, 16:42

thelazyone wrote:Without sounding like a douche bag but is this really a big deal?

Evidently it is. Can't wait to update it myself, gonna go through all the 'solid' games ending with this one :-D
sbradley88 56

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby Terranova1 » 06 Aug 2012, 16:46

thelazyone wrote:Without sounding like a douche bag but is this really a big deal?

4 years old people.

it's not a huge deal but still a nice one most publishers these days once the game is out the door they couldn't care less about it apart from the money they could make from the sales & DLC never mind adding something to it four years later, would have Konami / kojima productions done this if it were not for the anniversary i dunno maybe not but still nice that they did, i'm playing through again it does matter how old a game is when it's a great game.
Terranova1 35

Next