to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

NSW Police Commissioner blames video games for violence

Your comments on our articles.

Actual qualified psychologist refutes claims

New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione has lashed out at video games, claiming they contribute to youth violence.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

NSW Police Commissioner blames video games for violence

Postby HelloLadies » 06 Aug 2012, 06:12

Interesting how Australia has just recently lifted the video game ratings from MA15+ to R18. I dare say his comments were made as a knee jerk response to the knife attacks that have occurred over the past several weeks. I really don't think they were related to video games.
HelloLadies 50

Re: NSW Police Commissioner blames video games for violence

Postby illage2 » 06 Aug 2012, 06:43

Video Games do not cause violence. I'm sick of people saying stuff like this. If you don't like video games that's fine, but at the end of the day you shouldn't spoil it for everyone else.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby richomack360 » 06 Aug 2012, 07:57

i'm guessing the Vikings had access to videogames too when they travelled around burning and pillaging ?

always been violence, way before Mario buttoned up his dungarees

Same old drivel from the Police / bad parents looking for excuses / newspapers.....yawn
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby TheDragonDoji » 06 Aug 2012, 08:03

I am waiting for the day when The Daily Mail runs with "The Crusades...Videogames made us do it...all three times."
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby budge » 06 Aug 2012, 08:22

Games do warp the mind though, I recently finished the awesome Batman AC and I swear I thought I was invincible and was wishing that some of the local kidda's where I live would test me! :shock:
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby robbo1337 » 06 Aug 2012, 08:39

Gee, I cannot wait to blast people with electricity from my hands like Cole in Infamous. Such is my grip on reality :roll:
This is the space where clever things gets said?
robbo1337 39

PSN ID: robbo1337
Steam: robbo1337

Postby rubblemaker » 06 Aug 2012, 08:43

'nothing more potentially damaging than the sort of violence they're [the kids] being exposed to, be it in movies, be it in console games they're playing.'

Perhaps someone should point out to this neanderthal the years of proven psychological and behavioural evidence from killers and criminals the world over that almost entirely points to their upbringing and finds evidence time and time again of abusive/neglectful or simply indifferent parents. Combine that today with a spoilt youth culture harbouring a deep sense of entitlement and you have a lot of fractured family units floating around. Those are where the next generation of criminals will spring from. Not from the 2 million people placing pre-orders on Amazon for the next AAA title.

Dick.
rubblemaker 42

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 06 Aug 2012, 08:59

TheDragonDoji wrote:I am waiting for the day when The Daily Mail runs with "The Crusades...Videogames made us do it...all three times."

Of course they will . They'll show screenshots from assassins creed too saying that its a recently discovered ancient game....
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby liveswired » 06 Aug 2012, 09:21

OF COURSE VIDEO GAMES DON'T. If kids are inside playing video games for too long were do they find the time to get involved in violence???

It's the kids that aren't gaming and are thrown out on the streets by their parents to roam for all hours and have no one to care for them who get involved with the gangs and are pressured into crime.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 51

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby lordirongut » 06 Aug 2012, 09:33

Scipione went on to say that while engaging in "virtual crime on a daily basis" may not affect "the vast majority", it could affect a minority.

To be honest, I don't that's unreasonable. A small fraction of people are influenced unduly by media - be that games, films or books. At worst, this was a slightly pointless comment - he's not starting a Daily Mail-esque anti-games crusade, so there's no reason to overreact here.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby scroll33 » 06 Aug 2012, 10:02

Going by his logic I think he needs to focus on the greater threat posed by religion. How many times do we turn on the news to see people blowing themselves up in religious causes, going to war over belief and generally getting into harmful antisocial behaviour all because of religion? Priorities police Commissioner, priorities over sound bites.

Or maybe he's just being ignorant and looking for a scapegoat.
scroll33 38

Postby rhyfel » 06 Aug 2012, 10:16

well the NSW police commissioner is a first class plank.
rhyfel 37

Postby sonic_uk » 06 Aug 2012, 10:23

How about you do your f***ing job and get these yobs off our streets instead of pursecuting motorists to make up the numbers you useless t***. The police in this country are a f***ing joke.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby richomack360 » 06 Aug 2012, 11:15

sonic_uk wrote:How about you do your f***ing job and get these yobs off our streets instead of pursecuting motorists to make up the numbers you useless t***. The police in this country are a f***ing joke.

You do know the guy in the picture isn't from the Police Force in the UK?

I'm all for fining motorists for speeding tbh, load of idiots.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby bamozzy » 06 Aug 2012, 11:49

I see far worse on TV and in movies than I have ever seen in a video game. the majority of 15 rated movies contain Sex, Nudity, Violence, Horror, Bad Language etc Take Max Payne 3's campaign. If it was made into a movie (either CGi or Real life) almost exactly like the game. (obviously not the deviations to find the Gold Gun or Pills) and probably better combat parts instead of my sometimes inaccurate free aim attempts and running around in circles to collect the ammo/guns, It would NOT be rated any higher than 15.

Video games in general are a lot less violent than equivalent movies and TV - You can see dead bodies on the news for example (Real dead bodies!! and the news is far more scary and shows more horrific violence than any game as it is REAL) However it is Not as graphic as the violence in 15 rated movies and Games are very tame by comparison!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Next