to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Your comments on our articles.

London is burning in Ubisoft's new survival horror...

A popular train of thought among gaming's chattering classes is that Nintendo has to recapture the so-called "hardcore" with the Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby djreplay » 04 Aug 2012, 14:03

Looks good, could do with a better name though.
Image
User avatar
djreplay 57
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: 07 Jul 2009, 14:44
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: u crazy fools
PSN ID: djreplay

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby Lady Gagagged » 04 Aug 2012, 14:35

In Nintendo's hands I'd be concerned about this, in Ubisoft's I'm less concerned though not completely enamoured yet.
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 04 Aug 2012, 14:56

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me want a WII U, the whole touch screen pad aspect is going to add so much to existing franchises and hopefully help developers come up with new IP and fresh ideas.

For me this is probably the stand-out reason to get a WII U day 1, dont get me wrong Pikmin etc look great but they wont keep my attention past 2 weeks.

I do have a slight problem with the writer of this articles use of the term HARDCORE, its popping up everywhere right now for some weird reason.

There seems to be some dirty aspect attached to the term HARDCORE recently, considering every single E3 presentation had spokespeople openly saying that they need to embrace the CORE gamers again means you should not be frightened to say that you are a hardcore gamer. Hardcore gamers are the ones that buy stuff during the slow times, the industry slowdown periods and get consoles day 1 to show total support..... Be proud to be one of these people, dont let articles and the mainsteam folk make you feel guilty, its not an arrogance thing its a statement of how you feel.

Hardcore gamer can mean so many things, the amount of time you spend playing games, how many games you buy, do you cut down on your shopping spend for the week in your local tescos because rather than eat properly you want the new halo etc, if gaming is the single biggest thing in your life, if you obsess over every game or one game in particular, if it defines who you are and how you live then for gods sake be proud of that...... On the other hand if you just like it now and again then thats also awesome. Casual gamers, hobby gamers, collectors, core, hardcore we all have 1 thing in common........ GAMERS. One could argue that everyone on the CVG forum is a hardcore gamer because instead of doing other probably more usefull stuff we are all on here just talking about games, how cool is that?

High fives all round to everyone, because basically we are all awesome!

Now shut up Nintendo and take my money already! lol
Image
User avatar
Megatrons_Fury 50
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 15:54

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby illage2 » 04 Aug 2012, 15:29

I will be getting a Wii U just for this. I hope it turns out to be decent.
ImageImage
User avatar
illage2 54
 
Posts: 2731
Joined: 30 Dec 2010, 08:20
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby moogiesboy » 04 Aug 2012, 16:49

Megatrons_Fury wrote:This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me want a WII U, the whole touch screen pad aspect is going to add so much to existing franchises and hopefully help developers come up with new IP and fresh ideas.

For me this is probably the stand-out reason to get a WII U day 1, dont get me wrong Pikmin etc look great but they wont keep my attention past 2 weeks.

I do have a slight problem with the writer of this articles use of the term HARDCORE, its popping up everywhere right now for some weird reason.

There seems to be some dirty aspect attached to the term HARDCORE recently, considering every single E3 presentation had spokespeople openly saying that they need to embrace the CORE gamers again means you should not be frightened to say that you are a hardcore gamer. Hardcore gamers are the ones that buy stuff during the slow times, the industry slowdown periods and get consoles day 1 to show total support..... Be proud to be one of these people, dont let articles and the mainsteam folk make you feel guilty, its not an arrogance thing its a statement of how you feel.

Hardcore gamer can mean so many things, the amount of time you spend playing games, how many games you buy, do you cut down on your shopping spend for the week in your local tescos because rather than eat properly you want the new halo etc, if gaming is the single biggest thing in your life, if you obsess over every game or one game in particular, if it defines who you are and how you live then for gods sake be proud of that...... On the other hand if you just like it now and again then thats also awesome. Casual gamers, hobby gamers, collectors, core, hardcore we all have 1 thing in common........ GAMERS. One could argue that everyone on the CVG forum is a hardcore gamer because instead of doing other probably more usefull stuff we are all on here just talking about games, how cool is that?

High fives all round to everyone, because basically we are all awesome!

Now shut up Nintendo and take my money already! lol

Well said sir. As for ZombiU. Could be game of the year if ubi dont drop the ball.
User avatar
moogiesboy 51
 
Posts: 754
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 09:51
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby charlyd » 04 Aug 2012, 17:37

everybody is getting bored of zombie games but this looks like it could rekindle my love affair with all things zombieish would hope this sells wii-u to all the older ex nintendo fans like myself who abandoned ninty for x-box/ps3 .
charlyd 33
 
Posts: 149
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 04:10
Location: Ireland
PSN ID: june567

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby razors edge » 04 Aug 2012, 18:34

A popular train of thought among gaming's chattering classes is that Nintendo has to recapture the so-called "hardcore" with the Wii U.

Fail to do so, they say, and Nintendo's new console is doomed, destined to be a Dreamcast for the HD generation. Or worse.

To recapture the hardcore gamer, the argument continues, Wii U must offer so-called hardcore games.


So are you telling me that the games released for the Dreamcast were not what you would consider 'hardcore'?

I think you have a bit of a mixed up argument going on here old boy.

But I do think ZombieU looks great and I hope it lives up to its promise.
razors edge 42
 
Posts: 590
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 15:03
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby razors edge » 04 Aug 2012, 18:36

charlyd wrote:everybody is getting bored of zombie games but this looks like it could rekindle my love affair with all things zombieish would hope this sells wii-u to all the older ex nintendo fans like myself who abandoned ninty for x-box/ps3 .


No, everybody is most certainly not getting bored of zombie games.

s**t zombie games, yes.


Good zombie games, though, are just as welcome as any other type of good game.
razors edge 42
 
Posts: 590
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 15:03
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby snowdog » 04 Aug 2012, 19:03

djreplay wrote:Looks good, could do with a better name though.


It's named after the first game that Ubisoft developed, Zombi.

Definitely a day one purchase for me, it's been years since we've seen a proper survival horror game. Can't wait!!!
snowdog 28
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Sep 2007, 01:31
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby Balladeer » 04 Aug 2012, 19:13

Misleading headline, CVG: for a moment there I thought you were using the word "hardcore" seriously! Turns out NGamer were saying ""hardcore"" (with quotation marks), i.e. the subset of gamers who think that bright colours and a lack of guns and/or tits are surefire symptoms of homosexuality. Carry on.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
User avatar
Balladeer 77
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 04 Aug 2012, 20:41

I think Wii U needs more games like these to attract more console sales. While this game definitely looks worthy of wanting to play, it's not enough to lure those who are waiting for next gen hardware when they can wait half or a year more for probably more promising next gen xbox and/or playstation.
1Nightmare1 52
 
Posts: 565
Joined: 08 Jan 2012, 22:28
Location: United States

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby steve w » 05 Aug 2012, 10:39

Why do I get the feeling this will be like red steel very good when you 1st play it, then it will get to hard never finished red steel but I did like it when I 1st got it.
User avatar
steve w 57
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 12 Apr 2006, 18:03
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby stealth » 05 Aug 2012, 15:21

a game doesnt have to have guns to be hardcore, the launch lineup has a ton of hardcore games
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby lonewolf2002 » 05 Aug 2012, 16:51

Balladeer wrote:Misleading headline, CVG: for a moment there I thought you were using the word "hardcore" seriously! Turns out NGamer were saying ""hardcore"" (with quotation marks), i.e. the subset of gamers who think that bright colours and a lack of guns and/or tits are surefire symptoms of homosexuality. Carry on.



You mean to say the aren't? :P
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64
 
Posts: 4381
Joined: 22 Jan 2003, 11:11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: ZombiU: Is this the hardcore title Wii U is aiming for?

Postby Balladeer » 06 Aug 2012, 20:23

Well I wouldn't know, because apparently I'm as gay as a Christmas tree.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
User avatar
Balladeer 77
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]