OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their existenc

Your comments on our articles.

The future of games is The Walking Dead, says Matt Lees

Full-priced console games aren't doing well at the moment, but the industry isn't doing much to solve it. Quality is always the most important issue, but that's only because games are so ludicrously expensive. Our generation isn't swimming in money, and 40 quid a pop isn't exactly enticing.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their existenc

Postby Black Mantis » 01 Aug 2012, 13:30

"Telltale haven't managed to keep up with the schedule, and technical issues have marred the second release"

That's a major problem you're glossing over there. That's the main reason I won't be buying this (or any other episodic series), until all episodes are released, or the last episode is firmly scheduled.
Black Mantis 67
 
Posts: 4788
Joined: 21 May 2008, 09:20
Location: United Kingdom

OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their existenc

Postby jdkoke » 01 Aug 2012, 13:31

How old are you? I remember when games cost £60 so we are doing pretty well this last couple of generations. Besides, all new games - with a few exeptions - drop significantly in value within a couple of months. If you aren't an idiot or da hae limitless money then you can get by fine.

Also you talk like Walking Dead is the first game to do this. Do you just like the game or something? I find there are a plethora of choices fan it comes to buying games, and in my opinion this article is - and I ain't meaning to be nasty - a load of s**t.
Just my opinion like, each to their own and all that eh.

Black Mantis wrote:"Telltale haven't managed to keep up with the schedule, and technical issues have marred the second release"

That's a major problem you're glossing over there. That's the main reason I won't be buying this (or any other episodic series), until all episodes are released, or the last episode is firmly scheduled.


See this is fit I mean, he glosses over quite a lot and to me all it seems like is he really likes the game so has wrote a pointless article saying this is the future of games.
User avatar
jdkoke 43
 
Posts: 684
Joined: 30 Nov 2007, 23:11
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their existenc

Postby Yos » 01 Aug 2012, 13:40

The biggest challenge with the digital model is that publishers want to maintain current high-street pricing in order to drive profit margins whereas the evolution of freemium(ish) models has created pressure on the perception of value that console games bring, meaning that consumers want lower prices.

The digital model should enable both parties to be happy, given that it should strip out two sets of profit earning middlemen between publisher and customer. If publishers maintain their desire (greed?) for excessive profits, they will be the ones who drive the demolition of the market, in due course hiding behind the excuse of the reducing consumer demand that they themselves created.
Yos 30
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 00:18

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby JCHN » 01 Aug 2012, 13:42

jdkoke wrote:How old are you? I remember when games cost £60 so we are doing pretty well this last couple of generations. Besides, all new games - with a few exeptions - drop significantly in value within a couple of months. If you aren't an idiot or da hae limitless money then you can get by fine.

Also you talk like Walking Dead is the first game to do this. Do you just like the game or something? I find there are a plethora of choices fan it comes to buying games, and in my opinion this article is - and I ain't meaning to be nasty - a load of s**t.
Just my opinion like, each to their own and all that eh.

Black Mantis wrote:"Telltale haven't managed to keep up with the schedule, and technical issues have marred the second release"

That's a major problem you're glossing over there. That's the main reason I won't be buying this (or any other episodic series), until all episodes are released, or the last episode is firmly scheduled.


See this is fit I mean, he glosses over quite a lot and to me all it seems like is he really likes the game so has wrote a pointless article saying this is the future of games.


You may not mean to be nasty, but you have failed in avoiding to do so.
JCHN 56
 
Posts: 158
Joined: 23 Oct 2011, 11:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 01 Aug 2012, 13:43

jdkoke is on the money, not too nasty :wink:
Image

Image

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 64
 
Posts: 5742
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby EvilWaterman » 01 Aug 2012, 13:47

I got bf3 for about 32 quid from shopto. Thats not a lot of money for a great game with MP thats kept me playing till now and beyond.

Also, look at all the people, including myself, that have bought BF Premium. This is proof that people can afford the "£40" games as long as they are worth the money.

If games all went like The Walking Dead, I'm out!
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
User avatar
EvilWaterman 55
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 15:00
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: EvilWaterman

OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their existenc

Postby toaplan » 01 Aug 2012, 13:50

Maybe people are just saving money to "keep the powder dry" for next-gen consoles? I know I am. Xmas 2011 was the last time I bought a bunch of brand new titles, but since then I've only bought Mass Effect 3 and loads of app store and Steam sale items.

For me, even with the current gen winding down, there are still big-budget games that have absolutely no problems with justifying a €40 price tag. Games like MW3, BF3 and NBA2K12 that have huge replay value. Those three big time-sinks are part of the reason why I've passed up so many excellent titles this year. As CVG's feature of the best games of 2012 reminded, it's not really been a bad year for games so far.
User avatar
toaplan 75
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 01 Aug 2012, 13:52

There's been several episodic series before The walking dead. Hell pretty much every Telltale game has been episodic. It's just that they've finally worked out the kinks and gotten the pricing right on the 360.

Just so you know the console versions of pretty much every telltale game to date have had problems technically and arrived late. This always happens. the engine although very good at being scaled to different devices so far as the games will run can be buggy as f**k. The wii versions of Tales of Monkey island and sam and max showed that.

I do however agree that episodic gaming could very well be the solution to many of gamings worries at the moment. The much lower barrier pricewise and the flexibility it allows in narrative structure and modifications to game play are exciting indeed.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 9002
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby jdkoke » 01 Aug 2012, 13:54

JCHN wrote:
You may not mean to be nasty, but you have failed in avoiding to do so.


Ah you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to be, merely stating my opinion, but if he - or you - think I am then i don't really give a s**t am afraid. Some folk have a laughably low tolerance of criticism and to them I say; dry your eyes :D

Thanks for your comment though, have a nice day :D

Oh and can I just add that in SOME instances episodic gaming does/will work fine and is a great idea. However it's not a new idea and it is most definitely not the right idea for many games.
As a side note, I really enjoyed the Sam and Max episodic game I got free through PS+. Wouldn't have otherwise bought it in all honesty but it was good fun and I didn't notice any tech problems.
User avatar
jdkoke 43
 
Posts: 684
Joined: 30 Nov 2007, 23:11
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby TheLastDodo » 01 Aug 2012, 14:08

Don't like paying 40 quid per game then don't pay 40 quid per game.

Wait for a price cut or trade in a few old games, as I and many many many others do. Very few games are truly worth rushing out for day one these days, have a bit of patience and you can save 50% of your cash usually if you wait a few weeks.

In a way, I'm kinda glad 2012 has been a poor year so far for games, it's saved me lots of cash I would probably have spent on overhyped average games as I have done in previous years.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby SirDMCalot » 01 Aug 2012, 14:27

TheLastDodo wrote:Don't like paying 40 quid per game then don't pay 40 quid per game.

Wait for a price cut or trade in a few old games, as I and many many many others do. Very few games are truly worth rushing out for day one these days, have a bit of patience and you can save 50% of your cash usually if you wait a few weeks.


Don't companies lose out when you wait to buy their games?
SirDMCalot 20
 
Posts: 130
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 22:05
Location: Ascension Island

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby toaplan » 01 Aug 2012, 14:43

TheLastDodo wrote:In a way, I'm kinda glad 2012 has been a poor year so far for games, it's saved me lots of cash I would probably have spent on overhyped average games as I have done in previous years.


When an excellent title like Kingdoms of Amalur couldn't make it to CVG's top 30 of 2012, has it really been such a poor first half? On the other hand, Kinect StarWars was number 17 on the list, which does cast a shadow of doubt on the list.
User avatar
toaplan 75
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby TheLastDodo » 01 Aug 2012, 14:51

SirDMCalot wrote:
TheLastDodo wrote:Don't like paying 40 quid per game then don't pay 40 quid per game.

Wait for a price cut or trade in a few old games, as I and many many many others do. Very few games are truly worth rushing out for day one these days, have a bit of patience and you can save 50% of your cash usually if you wait a few weeks.


Don't companies lose out when you wait to buy their games?


Only the companies that make games that I deem aren't worth my 40 quid will lose out, which is a lot this year, but I'm sure they'd rather I buy their games for 20-30 quid new than pick up a pre-owned copy.

@toaplan

I haven't played KOA yet so I can't say if it deserved a place in CVG's Top 30, and it wouldn't matter anyway as it's CVG's opinion. Personally I wouldn't give 75% of that list a second glance, I think PSN/XBLA has s**t all over the big budget stuff so far this year.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby TykerD3 » 01 Aug 2012, 14:52

I don't buy games when they first come out, I wait 2 months and pick them up for £20 quid. I recently got Fallout New Vegas for £18, with six bits of DLC on the 2nd disc. This DLC would cost over £20 from XBL.

Secondly, £40 is not bad anyway, not for a top game. Its not like you can't research a game first to see if its good, pleanty of vids on Youtbube and reviews online, plus Forumns.

Finally, I have both episodes of the Walking Dead and it is amazing. 400 MS points and i have never enjoyed a game so much. I love the choices (and yes, they are hard to make), the characters and the NOTINYOURFACEACTION.

I have less time and less money these days, so a game broken into episodes is great for me. Obviosuly this will not work for all games but it gives us another option.
Xbox Live Tag: Knifey McStab
Blowing Goats since 1978
TykerD3 55
 
Posts: 809
Joined: 16 Oct 2008, 08:05
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: SteampunkZomb1e

Re: OPINION: Big-budget games struggle to justify their exis

Postby jdkoke » 01 Aug 2012, 14:57

TheLastDodo wrote:Don't like paying 40 quid per game then don't pay 40 quid per game.

Wait for a price cut or trade in a few old games, as I and many many many others do. Very few games are truly worth rushing out for day one these days, have a bit of patience and you can save 50% of your cash usually if you wait a few weeks.

In a way, I'm kinda glad 2012 has been a poor year so far for games, it's saved me lots of cash I would probably have spent on overhyped average games as I have done in previous years.



TykerD3 wrote:I don't buy games when they first come out, I wait 2 months and pick them up for £20 quid. I recently got Fallout New Vegas for £18, with six bits of DLC on the 2nd disc. This DLC would cost over £20 from XBL.

Secondly, £40 is not bad anyway, not for a top game. Its not like you can't research a game first to see if its good, pleanty of vids on Youtbube and reviews online, plus Forumns.

Finally, I have both episodes of the Walking Dead and it is amazing. 400 MS points and i have never enjoyed a game so much. I love the choices (and yes, they are hard to make), the characters and the NOTINYOURFACEACTION.

I have less time and less money these days, so a game broken into episodes is great for me. Obviosuly this will not work for all games but it gives us another option.



Both good comments in my eyes, have some Kris points. They ain't worth f**k all like but if yer ever up my way I'll buy you a pint...maybe :D
User avatar
jdkoke 43
 
Posts: 684
Joined: 30 Nov 2007, 23:11
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]