to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy review: Enjoyable, if fussy, fan s

Your comments on our articles.

Weirdly, it's not even a great music game...

Thanks to Theatrhythm Final Fantasy our lives have a new soundtrack, and now everything's epic. And we do mean everything. Bleary-eyed teeth brushing sessions have morphed into a battle of attrition between gum and bristle, played out to the fanfare of Final Fantasy VI's battle theme.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy review: Enjoyable, if fussy, fan s

Postby Cogglesz » 28 Jul 2012, 21:13

Played the demo, its weird but it looks real bad in those pictures, on the 3ds though its actually pretty nice to look at with half decent 3D effects, i'm no diehard fan but i like music and i'm more into the older games so i'll probably pick it up when the price drops a bit, its not bad but its nothing special, the rhythms are atleast satisfying, its £22 on amazon but i'd probably wait till its around £15ish.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Re: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy review: Enjoyable, if fussy, f

Postby photoboy » 28 Jul 2012, 22:35

Weirdly, it's not even a great music game...

I think that sub-title from the review should be on the box. As a game, it's pretty weak, but the music from the FF series is so iconic and brilliant that the game itself is almost irrelevant.

I think the biggest head-scratcher is the decision to mostly restrict every game to just 5 tracks (there are some extra unlockables) but for the biggies like VI, VII, VIII, IX and X they still feel underrepresented. There's only two boss battle music tracks from VII with many of the others overlooked. Likewise the awesome CGI intro to VIII is missing as is "The Landing". Maybe Squeenix wants to sell those tracks as DLC...

I'd love a sequel with more tracks from the favourites and perhaps a full music system like Guitar Hero where you actually play the music rather than just make drum noises over the top of it.
photoboy 48

Postby Clusks » 29 Jul 2012, 00:55

I've seen this on Ebay daily deals for £20 already, so I'm already sold! Final Fantasy has a good history of great music, but this is a bit of a niche title for fans of the series. I can see myself playing through it once and maybe coming back to it in a few years time if I'm feeling in an FF mood.
Clusks 45

Postby karkify » 29 Jul 2012, 03:40

Cogglesz wrote:Played the demo, its weird but it looks real bad in those pictures, on the 3ds though its actually pretty nice to look at with half decent 3D effects, i'm no diehard fan but i like music and i'm more into the older games so i'll probably pick it up when the price drops a bit, its not bad but its nothing special, the rhythms are atleast satisfying, its £22 on amazon but i'd probably wait till its around £15ish.

Funny you should say that, it's currently £15.85 on ShopTo :wink:
karkify 50

Postby billysastard » 29 Jul 2012, 19:04

karkify wrote:Funny you should say that, it's currently £15.85 on ShopTo :wink:

thanks for that, ordered a copy at that price and picked up a dark souls limited edition (360, new) for £16 too :mrgreen:

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon