to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generation a

Your comments on our articles.

The Crysis 3 producer discusses console tech, Wii U, and giving PC users that little bit extra

Here's how sexy Crisis 3 is. Having spent about an hour hammering the playable demo on God's own PC at E3 in June, within hours of arriving home I'd sourced a new high-end graphics card and a gargantuan monitor in anticipation. And the game isn't even out until next February. Can it run Crysis? It bloody better run Crysis.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generation a

Postby richomack360 » 26 Jul 2012, 12:10

CVG: One of the things we took away from the Crysis 3 E3 demo was the impressive level of polish. It also felt a little looser; a more relaxed game than Crysis 2. Is there a sense that this was the game Crytek really wanted to make with Crysis 2, but that it ran out of time to quite achieve because it was wrestling with consoles and trying to get the graphics engine running on them?

READ: That's actually bang on what happened with Crysis 2. That's not to say we feel that Crysis 2 was a failure by any means. But coming back to delivering Crysis 2 for consoles, that was a huge milestone we really needed to hit, and tech became a bigger focus over some of the hurdles we had of making all of that work on consoles and creating an experience across consoles and PCs

No, Crysis 2 didn't sell well because it was a rubbish game, nothing to do with graphics. Seriously, are Crytek obsessed with graphics ???
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
richomack360 60
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3539
Joined: 25 May 2011, 08:55
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby Josh298 » 26 Jul 2012, 12:28

richomack360 wrote:CVG: One of the things we took away from the Crysis 3 E3 demo was the impressive level of polish. It also felt a little looser; a more relaxed game than Crysis 2. Is there a sense that this was the game Crytek really wanted to make with Crysis 2, but that it ran out of time to quite achieve because it was wrestling with consoles and trying to get the graphics engine running on them?

READ: That's actually bang on what happened with Crysis 2. That's not to say we feel that Crysis 2 was a failure by any means. But coming back to delivering Crysis 2 for consoles, that was a huge milestone we really needed to hit, and tech became a bigger focus over some of the hurdles we had of making all of that work on consoles and creating an experience across consoles and PCs

No, Crysis 2 didn't sell well because it was a rubbish game, nothing to do with graphics. Seriously, are Crytek obsessed with graphics ???


i think all these companies are going in the wrong direction we need innovation not better graphics the graphics are as good as it is but gameplay wise games are just getting s**t few example FF-13 im sure there are alot more i don't even see the point of next gen what can they really offer and if as they say we want a digital only console next gen will deffo fail cuz im not going to gamestation to buy a code and digital games are 2 dear anyway and not worth they price plus the whack DLC they bring out i can go on for day about this topic
Josh298 43
 
Posts: 193
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 13:56
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Jul 2012, 12:38

Crytek do seem obsessed with graphics, which is frankly worrying as graphics never make a game great on their own, it's a nice to have. It may appeal to the high end PC crowd but is this really where their bread and butter is? The fact is while this guy is acting a bit spoilt (boo hoo we can't make pretty pictures on consoles anymore) other devs are delivering games which are keeping the console communities pretty damn happy.

Don't get me wrong the next gen is exciting but it will come when it comes and this guy would do well to ensure people don't actually avoid Crysis 3 because they perceive it is not all it could be.
Image

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 60
 
Posts: 4751
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby Padua » 26 Jul 2012, 12:49

Finally, why do you play videogames?


I prefer gaming because it is far more challenging and rewarding than sitting in front of the Telly watching East enders or other reality rubbish.

Similarly I'd like interactive TV to evolve to allow me to do more than catching up on a program I've missed. It would be brilliant if the likes of Google break down and index all entertainment so you could search for "Orca" and see clips from multiple sources including television and film and music.

I especially enjoy playing with people around the world in multi-player games.
It isn't always about how good the game is either.
The conversation and working together towards a common goal is a lot more rewarding.

People don't really bat an eye if you say you go out for a drink after work to relax but still think you are strange if you say you log in and play with people you have never met in real life before!

Finally I find it strange that any developer can say they can't take things forward because of hardware constraints.
It is all about passion and imagination! The technology is just nice to have.
User avatar
Padua 61
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: 16 Oct 2007, 13:14
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby rhyfel » 26 Jul 2012, 13:07

yes then why don't you try to add a bit of playability into your game's in future and not just graphic demo's.
rhyfel 36
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 07:50
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby richomack360 » 26 Jul 2012, 13:57

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Crytek do seem obsessed with graphics, which is frankly worrying as graphics never make a game great on their own, it's a nice to have. It may appeal to the high end PC crowd but is this really where their bread and butter is? The fact is while this guy is acting a bit spoilt (boo hoo we can't make pretty pictures on consoles anymore) other devs are delivering games which are keeping the console communities pretty damn happy.

Don't get me wrong the next gen is exciting but it will come when it comes and this guy would do well to ensure people don't actually avoid Crysis 3 because they perceive it is not all it could be.


Spot on. I still get the Megadrive out and play Micro Machines with my “crew” – graphics are awful, but it still has the fun factor. Same with Goldeneye, Halo – still fun games, still playable…yes graphics have aged, but the fun factor which keeps people coming back hasn’t.

Josh298 wrote:i think all these companies are going in the wrong direction we need innovation not better graphics the graphics are as good as it is but gameplay wise games are just getting s**t


Exactly, Crytek haven’t mastered playability or adding a high degree of entertainment in this generation, so who knows what they are going to do next generation - and all we hear, in their defence to Crysis 2's failings, is a studio rep saying that the last game they made didn’t sell well because the graphics were not up to scratch

What a plank. Crytek – going to say this one last time before I buy up loads of 2nd hand copies of Crysis and force you to eat them – YOUR GAMES ARE NOT ENJOYABLE TO PLAY, EVEN IF THEY HAD THE GREATEST GRAPHICS KNOWN TO MAN, WHICH MADE YOUR GROIN EXPLODE WHEN YOU SAW THEM, YOUR GAMES WOULD STILL NOT BE ENJOYABLE TO PLAY!!!!!

Your games fail because they are not fun or imaginative – come on, another New York setting ? Don’t we see that enough in Hollywood week in week out ?
Last edited by richomack360 on 26 Jul 2012, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
richomack360 60
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3539
Joined: 25 May 2011, 08:55
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 26 Jul 2012, 13:58

All Crytek talk about is next-gen this, next-gen that, blah, blah, blah.

I'll tell you what Crytek, if you spent more time on the gameplay and AI, and a little less time on the graphics, then you might have an awesome game.

Crysis 1 and 2 were sooooooooo boring I didn't even finish them, and the MP sucked on number 2 (I only played Crysis 1 via XBLA download which had no MP).

Rage was way better and more fun than both those games put together.
MANYOO4EVA 40
 
Posts: 755
Joined: 10 Jan 2011, 21:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby toaplan » 26 Jul 2012, 14:04

richomack360 wrote:No, Crysis 2 didn't sell well because it was a rubbish game, nothing to do with graphics. Seriously, are Crytek obsessed with graphics ???


It sold pretty well, 3 million copies by mid-2011 - more than Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2 and Portal 2 at that point (Portal 2 was released in Q2 2011, the others in Q1).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... lion-sales

"It's no secret that consoles are at a stage right now where CryEngine is really pushing the limits of what they're capable of doing. So now that we have that separated out, we can focus on the PC and really giving the PC users that much extra of a visual experience."

+1 for Crytek :)
User avatar
toaplan 72
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby thelazyone » 26 Jul 2012, 14:35

Not a massive fan of Crysis 2, but enjoyed the interview, good read CVG.

Do more interviews :D .

Bam.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
User avatar
thelazyone 56
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: 10 May 2002, 16:04
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby trees415 » 26 Jul 2012, 14:54

MANYOO4EVA wrote:Crysis 1 and 2 were sooooooooo boring I didn't even finish them, and the MP sucked on number 2 (I only played Crysis 1 via XBLA download which had no MP).

Rage was way better and more fun than both those games put together.

The moment you mentioned Rage, let alone claimed it surpasses crysis 1, was the moment you lost every ounce of credibility. Crysis 1 was so rediculously beyond it's time, the only way you could understand is if you played when it first came out, and more importantly on the platform it was designed to be played on. Saying the game sucks based on an xbla playthrough is like saying the original Hitman game sucks after watching the movie.
trees415 1
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Jul 2012, 14:42

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby ted1138 » 26 Jul 2012, 15:18

MANYOO4EVA wrote:All Crytek talk about is next-gen this, next-gen that, blah, blah, blah.

I'll tell you what Crytek, if you spent more time on the gameplay and AI, and a little less time on the graphics, then you might have an awesome game.

Crysis 1 and 2 were sooooooooo boring I didn't even finish them, and the MP sucked on number 2 (I only played Crysis 1 via XBLA download which had no MP).

Rage was way better and more fun than both those games put together.



Totally agree with you about Crysis, the first felt like a weak COD rip off, with a gimmicky suit, but wrapped in great graphics(if a bit dull). The 2nd was much better, and the 3rd looks like it could be a right good laugh. I loved playing Rage too, even though I quit about halfway through to play MW3(and still not gone back)...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
User avatar
ted1138 61
 
Posts: 3283
Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 10:48
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Jul 2012, 15:28

The king of gaming attributes is playability, from Mario to Streetfighter, GTA to COD, Skyrim to Fez, Trials HD to Angry Birds (I hate to mention it but it is relevant) this is what makes you keep picking that pad up again and again be it old games or new games. It is frankly sad that this, in the eyes of some devs/publishers, seems very secondary at times.
Image

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 60
 
Posts: 4751
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby richomack360 » 26 Jul 2012, 15:53

toaplan wrote:
richomack360 wrote:No, Crysis 2 didn't sell well because it was a rubbish game, nothing to do with graphics. Seriously, are Crytek obsessed with graphics ???


It sold pretty well, 3 million copies by mid-2011 - more than Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2 and Portal 2 at that point (Portal 2 was released in Q2 2011, the others in Q1).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... lion-sales

"It's no secret that consoles are at a stage right now where CryEngine is really pushing the limits of what they're capable of doing. So now that we have that separated out, we can focus on the PC and really giving the PC users that much extra of a visual experience."

+1 for Crytek :)


Have you got a screw loose or purposefully being daft ?

Comparing a game that is boasted as an AAA FPS to Dragon Age 2, one of the worst sequels in living memory and Portal 2, a game that the average idiot hasn't heard about and yet to play?

Crysis 2 was a failure for a self publicised AAA title. Compare the 2 million "sales" to how many pirated the game.

-1 for toaplan
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
richomack360 60
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3539
Joined: 25 May 2011, 08:55
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby toaplan » 26 Jul 2012, 16:18

richomack360 wrote:Comparing a game that is boasted as an AAA FPS to Dragon Age 2, one of the worst sequels in living memory and Portal 2, a game that the average idiot hasn't heard about and yet to play?


I haven't played Dragon Age 2 myself, but it does have an impressive 82% Metacritic score, based on 45 reviews by critics.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

Portal 2 was elected game of the year in 2011 by the Guardian. So if the average idiot still reads the news, he may have heard about Portal 2. Or seen the TV ads, which Dragon Age 2 also had.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... es-of-2011
User avatar
toaplan 72
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Crytek's Mike Read: 'We cannot take the current generati

Postby Drebin » 26 Jul 2012, 17:46

Define next-generation gaming please coz look, I thought it was heavily related to gameplay. I wonder what next-gen can offer (in terms of gameplay) that this 'current gen' cannot. I like Crysis but to me it did not feel fluid compared to Halo (which is why that is played in MLG). Also, COD is recycled not big on visuals but hey, it is fast paced and fluid (gameplay is what's important). I know there is a lot of hate towards COD, I don't play it myself but it is selling for a reason. A 'rubbish' game would not sell like that
Super Street Fighter IV challengers? If so just PM my PSN on the weekend.
User avatar
Drebin 26
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 06 Dec 2008, 23:12
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Bigboss144

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], ricflair, Skipstream and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]