to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Jade Raymond: Gaming will never be truly mass-market with ph

Your comments on our articles.

Ubisoft exec thinks "more natural ways to interact with games are incredibly important"

Ubisoft Toronto studio head Jade Raymond thinks physical controllers are "still a huge barrier" to gaming becoming truly mass-market.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Jade Raymond: Gaming will never be truly mass-market with ph

Postby Kezwar » 26 Jul 2012, 10:44

is gaming not big enough? There's only so much you can do without a controller, unless it's virtual reality or something, and that just seems way off for me.
let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f**ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Kezwar 44

Xbox Live: Kezwar
PSN ID: Kezwar

Re: Jade Raymond: Gaming will never be truly mass-market wit

Postby ilovenewtech » 26 Jul 2012, 11:18

Jog on kittie!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Postby rivariad » 26 Jul 2012, 11:21

jade raymond news with a picture of kinect? shame.. there you go guys

http://game2gether.de/wordpress/wp-cont ... aymond.jpg
rivariad 46

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 26 Jul 2012, 11:24

Oh do me a favour, you ponced up tart.

If people don't have the motor skills or the memory capability to remember what four buttons, a trigger and a little twiddly stick do then they have bigger problems than how they play games.

Oh that motor car thing will never catch on, with its pedals and gears and what not. Its far too complicated.

Oh, hang on...
"A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby LazyQuest » 26 Jul 2012, 11:27

It seems obvious - a 'complicated' physical controller can still be used in a simple way.

Basically, the average person could easily play Mario on a dual shock, but couldn't play Battlefield on a nes controller. Having a more complicated controller doesn't actually preclude simple inputs , but is the only realistic solution for complex ones.

Ease of use is dictated by software, more often than hardware
LazyQuest 4
New user

Postby Demigod001 » 26 Jul 2012, 11:37

Kinect is only good a physics puzzles and rail shooters. It cant work without some form or hardware in the players hands. gun sword or standard controller, it is to limited without some other form of input. the Wii's controller and Sony's Move despite its imho stupid design is a good middle ground.

Their is no "natural" interface for a game, even as kids playing with friends we had props, wooden swords toy cars figures/dols. Saying a controller makes gaming worse is simply the argument with someone with an agenda. Controllers can take immersion away but conversely so can taking the controller away. The method of control should be determined by the needs of the game not the other way around, it is frustrating and pointless to restrict the game simply to make it work on with restricted new means of control. If there was away to properly move (walk run) in a kinect game and you could hold the prop needed, gun sword etc then perhaps it would be a better interface than a controller, but lumping about pretending to hold a lightsaber making unnatural spasmodic gyrations to move to a predetermined point is not better than a controller it is embarrassing and is not immersive to anyone over six years old. Unless the point of the game is the amusement factor of watching adults behave like idiots.

I know she wasn't just arguing to do away with controllers, but saying the controller is holding back games is only partially true, my sixty year old mother plays pc and console games and even with arthritis she can play very well. Voice control doesn't need kinect it just helps it (built in hardware for it) and despite the silliness factor can be of use, kinect can also be used for moving objects in game ie modding guns armor , puzzle solving can be don with it more "naturally" if you will but can also be done easily enough with standard controllers. However a controller will still be needed for controlled movement in a game space, out side of rail shooters and side scrollers. Perhaps we can argue for motion control to augment standard controllers, or prop controllers, but a controller of some sort will always be needed for many types of game.
Last edited by Demigod001 on 26 Jul 2012, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Demigod001 39

Postby Jingee » 26 Jul 2012, 11:39

There's nothing wrong with using a controller! It's iconic to gaming, and what sets it apart from other forms of entertainment. If you don't like using a controller, or MK, to play games, then maybe gaming as a hobby isn't for you.
Jingee 50

Postby jdkoke » 26 Jul 2012, 12:04

rivariad wrote:jade raymond news with a picture of kinect? shame.. there you go guys

http://game2gether.de/wordpress/wp-cont ... aymond.jpg

That's all I clicked for, thank you good sir. CVG you need to wise up
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Postby stealth » 26 Jul 2012, 12:09

without controllers there are no games
stealth 47

Postby metallicorphan » 26 Jul 2012, 12:10

I'm sorry but its the other way around,it seems Kinect(and the rest) after a year or so has already ran out of good ideas

the Article Title should be that Kinect(or any motion) gaming will never be mass market

As Jingee says there have been controllers in video gaming since the late 70s(I should know,that's when i got my Philips TV machine)
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 26 Jul 2012, 12:12

Oh dear.......

Why didnt she just come out and say that as a woman she finds lots of buttons and 2 sticks complicated, thats what she meant. Did she not want to be seen as making women in gaming look silly or something, she just set back equality in gaming about 10 years..... Stupid idiot. Whilst i completely agree that during the ps1-ps2 era most women didnt enjoy videogames (not all before some of you start) the new generation of girls and women are completely competent with all aspects of gaming, i read somewhere a while back about the number of female gamers on xbox and i was very happy.

Gaming is already mass market, motion control is a badly done and over used gimmick that is well past welcome in its stay in the industry. The wii at times did work well but Kinect and Move are absolute tripe in every aspect, the problem with mass market in her eyes is that it would make almost every game a dumb down party title and this crap has already harmed the industry beyond repair in terms of software trends and overall market quality.

Respect for this lady now gone.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby richomack360 » 26 Jul 2012, 12:24

Another great comment from a woman in the industry. Follows on nicely from the tart who said Dead Space was too scary and that she takes her husband to the cinema with her to justify forcing co-op into the franchise

Jog on love, the dishes need doing.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 26 Jul 2012, 12:38

Come on dude dont be sexist, its stuff like that which makes us gamers look like immature cavemen.

Whilst i completely agree women need to do a hell of a lot more in terms of creating more games for the industry remember that for so many years this was an old boys club. They are still dipping their feet in the shallow end right now but from the small amount of female gamers i know i can tell you they are here to stay and they can kick ass.

Women are more than welcome in the games industry and even more than welcome being gamers, the more women who embrace hobbies traditionally liked by men the more happy people in relationships will be, im so fed up of being looked at like im a kid when i tell women i like games.

There must be some guys on here who play co-op games with their partner right???? Surely you can back me up that the more the merrier
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby jdkoke » 26 Jul 2012, 12:42

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
There must be some guys on here who play co-op games with their partner right???? Surely you can back me up that the more the merrier

I wish. She can play games and has since the NES days but she barley ever plays now. Last time she did she was playing Red Dead and shouted at me for telling her what to do. 5-10 minutes later she shouts me back to help her get past a bit lol
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Postby IplayVideogames » 26 Jul 2012, 12:53

She is all kinds of wrong. Gaming isn't about being mainstream, it's about having fun and enjoying a good story or multi-player. Besides, controllers are easy enough for even children to use.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Next