The Wii is dead, long live the Wii U

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's most successful home console retires to the attic after six years - but what is its legacy?

The problem with these console eulogies is that they're prone to what Wikipedia editors call 'recentism'. Like the N64 and GameCube before it, the Wii seems doomed to be remembered by some for the gaming drought that blighted its final two years of existence - during which time the only game oases to lap from turned out to be horse riding and fitness-sim cesspools.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Wii is dead, long live the Wii U

Postby boonattack » 21 Jul 2012, 19:33

It's legacy?
Create a game that simulates masturbation and everyone will buy one.
boonattack 28

Re: The Wii is dead, long live the Wii U

Postby shogunreaper » 21 Jul 2012, 20:04

Its legacy will be that everyone bought one but no one played with it after a few months.
shogunreaper 47

Postby billysastard » 21 Jul 2012, 20:12

so whilst wii sales have dropped since wii u was announced it hasnt stopped the best quality software from turning up from a shadows tale, xenoblade, pandoras tower and the last story to project zero, skyward sword and mario party 9 the wii has continued to provide quality entertainment to everyone who doesnt think that gaming ends with a right trigger headshot all it takes is the ability to enjoy games and have real friends to play with.

better yet, all those games were complete straight out of the wrapper no dlc to buy or codes to type just to get the rest, no subscriptions to buy to play any online titles either, no fighting through adverts just to find your games and no jack of all trades media center pretenses.

i for one look forward to unboxing the next generation of gaming on the wii u's launch day.
Last edited by billysastard on 21 Jul 2012, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby charliecheswick » 21 Jul 2012, 20:15

Great article. My Wii is dead,the optical drive packed-up as i started hero mode on Skyward Sword. :-( I'll go through it eventually on the U though. I spent a quite a bit on the Wii shopping channel and get a lot of pleasure playing retro titles still,especially Donkey Kong,it gets an airing most Sunday mornings ( something i'd like to see for Wii U is the original arcade games brought to the eshop,not the NES versions but the originals ). My lasting memories of the Wii are firstly Wii Sports as it was as the the article says,a great launch title,and some truly great videogames,mostly Nintendo's own work,true,but some great 3rd party game too that were on the whole,sadly overlooked ( Zack and Wiki and Madworldto mention two ).
I'm hoping Nintendoland is the first game i play on the U but it would have to be bundled with the console at launch as i do want to play it but don't think i'd be paying full price to get it,so i'll say ZombiU or Ass Creed 3 will get my loot at launch.
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 21 Jul 2012, 20:27

Its legacy is clear

It gave women all over the world another piece of plastic to play with whilst nobody was watching, the only difference was this one didnt need hiding in the wardrobe afterwards.

........... Sorry couldnt resist.

I dont hate the wii, im just glad its leaving us, it had some great games on it but unfortunately it also had an enormous amount of casual filth on it and although it opened up the industry to a wider range of people most of them won't stay or support said industry in the long run but their original interest has shifted market focus in the wrong and most probably permanent way. Because of motion control the world is now full of Kinect's and Move's and even more awfull party games that further hinder the sale and development of quality core software. Its Nintendo's best selling home console but it's the one i play and respect the least.

This article is a lovely way of CVG starting fanboy arguments and increasing it's site count on a slow news day.... Bravo Mr editor and Writer.

Long live Nintendo.

Not getting into any arguments with Wii lovers today, like what you like its all good to me.
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby RustySpoon80 » 21 Jul 2012, 20:30

charliecheswick wrote:Great article. My Wii is dead,the optical drive packed-up as i started hero mode on Skyward Sword. :-(

If you wanted, you can quite easily play your games from a USB hard drive. So long as you own the actual disk its not piracy.

I bought my wii on day 1, then waited a few days for the release of Twilight Princess. This was about 8 months before I got a PS3. The graphics were excellent and the gameplay was perfect.
The last game I got was Skyward Sword. I found the graphics to be poor. I'm not sure whether this is cos I'm now used to HD or not. I understand that its supposed to look like a painting (which parts do) but the character models are terrible. Although NPC's in Zelda games have always looked odd. I have yet to finish the game.
Hopefully Wii-U will bring a brand new Zelda with amazing graphics. I would really like the characters to speak as I'm fed up with reading (possibly not Link though).
I'm just not sure the Wii-U will capture the same imagination that the Wii did. It looks like it may be confusing to the general public. Some games will be gamepad, some will be classic controller and some will be wii-mote.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby Imaduck » 21 Jul 2012, 20:33

I have a Wii, but I think I've played on it maybe twice in total. I couldn't believe the piece of s**t controllers that came with it, seriously man. From the button layout to the shape (cuboid). That put me off pretty much straight from the box. Takes the crown of "worst console controller" from the Gamecube.
Imaduck 58

Postby rbt2 » 21 Jul 2012, 20:36

boonattack wrote:It's legacy?

Now I'm like everyone else.....I do like a good wank whilst playing The Wii.
Sunday afternoons when all the family are over for dinner can be a bit awkward though.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby charliecheswick » 21 Jul 2012, 21:33

rbt2 wrote:

Now I'm like everyone else.....I do like a good wank whilst playing The Wii.
Sunday afternoons when all the family are over for dinner can be a bit awkward though.

Sounds like a mass debate.
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby Jingee » 21 Jul 2012, 21:35

I remember my Nintendo-Fanatic (no other word) mate getting his Wii on release day, and me rushing round after school (6 years!?) to have a go. When he fired up Wii Sports Tennis and let me bat it around... Magic happened. Not even unboxing my GC at Christmas a few years previous came close to how amazing it felt to play Wii for the first time.
Jingee 51

Postby steve_2003 » 21 Jul 2012, 22:08

charliecheswick wrote:Great article. My Wii is dead,the optical drive packed-up as i started hero mode on Skyward Sword.

I don't know if mine still works as I haven't played it at all this year, actually looking at it the only part working may be the red standby light. It really is a shame it was left to die by Nintendo. :( I've been playing & enjoying videogames for a very long time and still own all my previous machines, this time though I think (although it's sad) that it's going to be given to a friend or traded in for some new titles for my 360 or PS3.

Thinking twice about the Wii-U as I don't want to waste my cash & be left with another dusty Nintendo console with only a couple of decent games. 8)
steve_2003 64

Postby Metatasian » 21 Jul 2012, 22:12

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f8pq9qO4TiQ/T ... t-ipad.jpg
Metatasian 41

Postby RileyL14 » 21 Jul 2012, 22:17

Imaduck wrote:I have a Wii, but I think I've played on it maybe twice in total. I couldn't believe the piece of s**t controllers that came with it, seriously man. From the button layout to the shape (cuboid). That put me off pretty much straight from the box. Takes the crown of "worst console controller" from the Gamecube.

Somebody else that also thinks the Gamecube controller was an ultra piece of f**king s**t, worse than the 3rd part controllers you can buy for a tenner!

The Wii's controller ain't that bad though imo, better than the move at least.

This is Grolsch btw.
RileyL14 47

PSN ID: RileyL_14

Postby toaplan » 21 Jul 2012, 22:26

The Wii's legacy, for me, is that it was the start of a new era for Nintendo. Hiroshi Yamauchi, who had been the ironfisted president of Nintendo since roughly the beginning of time, stepped down in 2002. The Wii was the first home console by Nintendo under the new CEO, Satoru Iwata, and the first Nintendo home console that wasn't technically up-to-date. Instead, the emphasis was put squarely on the control interface. Iwata's Nintendo seems almost like a different company: Nintendo-lite or Nintendo 2.0 - although Miyamoto and the old franchises still provide a link to the past :wink: At first, the new Nintendo was wildly successful, but has been running into trouble since 2009-2010. I think Iwata is going to stick to his "new Nintendo" philosophy as long as he remains president. The Wii U will be the console that either confirms the success of Nintendo's new direction, or proves it short-sighted and tenuous.
toaplan 75

Postby Drebin » 21 Jul 2012, 22:40

Its legacy, hmmmmm. Discovering the casual market for the game industry which is now being abused. So yeah, basically, the Wii destroyed our industry and the UK definitely was hit the hardest. Where are we now?
Super Street Fighter IV challengers? If so just PM my PSN on the weekend.
Drebin 26

PSN ID: Bigboss144

Next