to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why release Battlefield 4 over Bad Company 3? EA responds

Your comments on our articles.

"It's not due to any lack of love for BC inside of DICE," says community manger

Battlefield 4 was announced on Tuesday, but news of a successor to last year's Battlefield 3 didn't go down too well with some franchise fans.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Why release Battlefield 4 over Bad Company 3? EA responds

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 19 Jul 2012, 11:36

I can see his point, from their perspective there probably isn't much difference between the 2 aside from the campaign.

For me Bad Company 2 MP had a fun factor that BF3 doesn't have. That's not to say BF3 is bad, it's just a more serious take on a FPS where as Bad Company 2 was party time.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Re: Why release Battlefield 4 over Bad Company 3? EA respond

Postby murph_77 » 19 Jul 2012, 11:52

I really liked the maps on BFBC 2. That game got me into the BF series and I must admit, as I did it that way it took me ages to get into BF3 and the close quarters expansion pack is what really got me into BF3. Wish I kept my money from Elite and became a BF Premium player, better value for money and a much better game than MW3. Wasted too much time on CoD and not enough on BF3.
murph_77 45

Postby bamozzy » 19 Jul 2012, 12:01

A I have said - Maybe BF4 will combine the best bits from a Bad Company game and the best from BF3 into BF4...

Bad Company certainly had a better campaign - more sandbox, better characters and more humour so maybe this will be utilised in BF4's campaign. They can drop the co-op too as far as I am concerned - unless they make the whole campaign co-op! Gears of War 3 style would be FUN!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 65

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby XpAcErX » 19 Jul 2012, 12:53

I don't think BC is any different than BF. the campaign sure but no one really cared much for that. The MP is the meat.I think people just liked the maps etc of BC2 better. Its virtually the same gameplay in every way except the maps are much larger in BF3, which is awesome. BC was just basically a console experiment with the frost bite engine that experiment succeeded now we have the glorious BF series on the consoles and not some odd remake like Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.
XpAcErX 22

Steam: VGBetas
xFire: VGBetas

Postby monty_79 » 19 Jul 2012, 12:57

Personally, I like the more build up and more considered gameplay of the BC series. It has much more character, better maps and a splash of colour, not to mention the variation of the maps.

Arica Harbour on rush is still absolutely thrilling, too.
monty_79 57

Postby monty_79 » 19 Jul 2012, 12:59

XpAcErX wrote:I don't think BC is any different than BF. the campaign sure but no one really cared much for that. The MP is the meat.I think people just liked the maps etc of BC2 better. Its virtually the same gameplay in every way except the maps are much larger in BF3, which is awesome. BC was just basically a console experiment with the frost bite engine that experiment succeeded now we have the glorious BF series on the consoles and not some odd remake like Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.

You're joking, right?! The games are miles apart. The build up play is a little slower in BC which I love and isn't the spawn/die/spawn/die bore-a-thon of BF3. Also, the tone seems more geared towards fun than the aggressive nature of BF3.
monty_79 57

Postby bamozzy » 19 Jul 2012, 13:20

monty_79 wrote:
XpAcErX wrote:I don't think BC is any different than BF. the campaign sure but no one really cared much for that. The MP is the meat.I think people just liked the maps etc of BC2 better. Its virtually the same gameplay in every way except the maps are much larger in BF3, which is awesome. BC was just basically a console experiment with the frost bite engine that experiment succeeded now we have the glorious BF series on the consoles and not some odd remake like Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.

You're joking, right?! The games are miles apart. The build up play is a little slower in BC which I love and isn't the spawn/die/spawn/die bore-a-thon of BF3. Also, the tone seems more geared towards fun than the aggressive nature of BF3.

I agree there is a great divide between the two.

BF3's single player campaign is very linear and controlled - Bad company is much more open and 'sandbox' - You still have to get from Point A to Point B but you have a lot more freedom in how you do that. The Characters are also a Lot better and more fun with a lot of humour too. BF3's Campaign is very dull and feels like it is on rails (some of it actually is!!) but it does look nice!! LOL

I do however disagree with you about the MP - It certainly isn't Spawn, Die, Spawn, Die...It depends on game mode and how you choose to spawn. If you keep opting to spawn on someone who is in the middle of a firefight instead of looking at the background image and checking if it is safe to spawn there then you will die! It also depends on your squad/team and how they play - you can have a good squad and build up the play, work together to complete the objective etc too. It can also be great fun, manic and fast paced depending on game mode and expansion packs.

bamozzy 65

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 19 Jul 2012, 13:38

I'm just glad EA don't bring out Battlefield 4 one year then BC the next year and so on. That would really be like CoD. I'm wondering if we'll ever see another BC at all. It seems to me EA are going to stick with the numbered series one year and MoH the next. Although i would love to see another BC, i think some new players to the franchise might think of it more like an expansion to the numbered series rather than an upgrade so it probably wouldn't do as well as well commercially. I think judging by this article DICE will try to incorporate some of what made BC so special into the next BF. I think a lot people myself included were slightly disappointed with the destruction of buildings compared to the BC series also so hopefully that will change in BF4.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby Headsrinker » 19 Jul 2012, 13:52

monty_79

The build up play is a little slower in BC which I love and isn't the spawn/die/spawn/die bore-a-thon of BF3.

This isn't really true and it depends on what maps your playing. DICE have tried to make sure that every type of gamer has their needs covered. For example, Caspian Border is not spawn die spawn die at all, But Metro definately is. Theres something for everyone, which is why im far from getting bored with BF3. The DLC will only increase this great variety, which is what, for myself personally, makes BF far superior to any COD games.
Headsrinker 49

Steam: TheHeadshrinker

Postby ukdruid » 19 Jul 2012, 13:56

Please dont say "nobody cared for it" because you only speak for yourself and not others, a hellovalot enjoyed the campain to BFBC 1 and 2, they were witty and extreamly funny.

BFBC was their first true attempt at a campain for the BF series and they really hit the nail on the head with it, its a damn shame they failed to do the same for BF3.
ukdruid 42

Postby B_G_G » 19 Jul 2012, 14:00

Um.

The Bad Company 2 campaign was absolutely EXCELLENT. I loved it. I loved it so much I seriously thought about buying a console just to play the first Bad Company.

I didn't though, because I'm not an idiot.
B_G_G 51

Postby billysastard » 19 Jul 2012, 14:05

bc is a decent single player game as well as multiplayer, bf is a multiplayer game with a single player afterthought tacked on.

when the servers are shut down bc will still be a game worth playing, bf wont.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby bamozzy » 19 Jul 2012, 14:11

Two Pennys Worth wrote:I'm just glad EA don't bring out Battlefield 4 one year then BC the next year and so on. That would really be like CoD.

Actually that would be NOTING like CoD - Yet another stupid and inaccurate comment!! Treyarch and Infinity Ward Call of Duty games are as different as Medal of Honour and Battlefield!!

EA are already copying Activision and following a CoD like release schedule. Call of Duty has 2 sets of developers - each releasing a game every 2 years - Last year it was Infinity Ward (& co.) with MW3, this year it is Treyarch with Back Ops 2,

EA are doing exactly the same - Last year it was Dice with BF3, this year it is Danger Close with Medal of Honour! In fact EA have been copying this pattern for a few years now - it is not NEW. The last Medal of Honour was released in the same year as Black Ops.

It seems that EA have Danger Close to compete with Treyarch and Dice to compete with Infinity Ward (& co.)

bamozzy 65

Postby that-person » 19 Jul 2012, 14:12

I found there was more stuff to destroy in the BC series (more building to knock down xD), and the campaign was generally better.
that-person 32

Postby JD_Method » 19 Jul 2012, 14:15

For me, I like Bad Company 2 because I feel it's a little less realistic than Battlefield 3. It was just a little more over the top, the weapon sounds just had more character and were a little more punchy. A lot of the guns in Battlefield 3 sound pretty similar.

I didn't play the campaign of Bad Company 2 much, only completed it once I think, but yes - a return to the more open, sandbox-style levels instead of BF3's attempt at a CoD campaign would be good. I did kind of enjoy BF3's campaign, but it did feel like it was trying to imitate CoD, rather than be its own game.

BF3 just feels a bit more serious, and like it's trying to be more realistic. I really like Battlefield 3 and I do play it regularly, but I would also very much like to see a Bad Company 3.
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Next