to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Polytron won't pay for Fez patch

Your comments on our articles.

Game-breaking bug affects 'less than 1% of players'

Phil Fish's indie studio Polytron has announced it will not be releasing a new patch for its XBLA game Fez due to what it deems exorbitant costs.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 19 Jul 2012, 09:46

Not sure I agree with this - when the makers of Fez signed a contract with MS to release Fez they must of known that if there was a bug or a patch that was needed they would have to pay for it.

Instead the makers of Fez believed they could create a bug free game and not worry about a patch...but when a problem rises they say "sorry, it costs too much to fix, goodbye" surely thats not morally right ?

That is a disgrace in my view, both with the dev and MS - but, to be honest, the way the industry is the consumer is mugged off left right and centre anyway

If your game is broken and they refuse to sort it then a refund should be offered
Last edited by richomack360 on 19 Jul 2012, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby FixBeatGames » 19 Jul 2012, 09:49

good to hear microsoft are really trying hard to help out the small independant devs :shock:

some of the best games of the last couple of years have been small games by small independant studios (minecraft, limbo, fez for example). i guess somebody has to pay for cod maps to be on 360 a whole 4 weeks early (lol, as if that's an actual major selling point), looks like it's small independant studios doing it.
FixBeatGames 41

Re: Polytron won't pay for Fez patch

Postby AJDarkstar » 19 Jul 2012, 10:28

richomack360 wrote:Not sure I agree with this - when the makers of Fez signed a contract with MS to release Fez they must of known that if there was a bug or a patch that was needed they would have to pay for it.

Instead the makers of Fez believed they could create a bug free game and not worry about a patch...but when a problem rises they say "sorry, it costs too much to fix, goodbye" surely thats not morally right ?

That is a disgrace in my view, both with the dev and MS - but, to be honest, the way the industry is the consumer is mugged off left right and centre anyway

If your game is broken and they refuse to sort it then a refund should be offered

Moron. It's MS's fault for refusing to allow them to do the patch for free. What would it cost MS to allow this? Do you work for Microsoft, or are you just an idiotic fanboy?
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby runadumb » 19 Jul 2012, 10:31

Put it on steam
runadumb 61

Postby Zaphod_B » 19 Jul 2012, 10:33

Can't Phil Fish use the money he got from his buddy who runs the Indie Games Festival, I though he "won" that twice on two different years with Fez for a princely sum?
"Never eat more that 2 Pan-Galatic Gargle Blasters unless you are a 30-ton Mega Elephant with Broncal Phemonia"
Zaphod_B 43

Postby altitude2k » 19 Jul 2012, 10:35

There's a damn good reason Microsoft charge for patching. The priority should be to get it right off the bat, not release a broken game and expect to apply the bandages afterwards. I'm not suggesting that Polytron didn't do their best, but if there was no financial loss attributed to releasing a broken game then the industry would be rife with game-breaking issues from where release dates are put ahead of code quality. As if there weren't enough already.

Not to mention the fact that this was part of the agreement they signed up to in the first place.

Great game, but I've got no real sympathy for Polytron. Especially given the time it was in development, indie or not.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 19 Jul 2012, 11:01

First of all, Polytron had to PAY Microsoft for the game to be on XBLA. If you find this incredible or think I'm talking rubbish go and read the same article on IGN, as that is where it is stated.

So if they have already had to pay MS to put the game on XBLA why do they have to pay MS for a simple patch?

I really do not understand the game industry at all. MS are a muilti billion dollar company and Ploytron are a small independent studio trying to build. It is seems so petty to charge so much for a relatively small patch.

One word sums it up: preposterous.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby Drusus » 19 Jul 2012, 11:04

AJDarkstar wrote:
richomack360 wrote:Not sure I agree with this - when the makers of Fez signed a contract with MS to release Fez they must of known that if there was a bug or a patch that was needed they would have to pay for it.

Moron. It's MS's fault for refusing to allow them to do the patch for free. What would it cost MS to allow this? Do you work for Microsoft, or are you just an idiotic fanboy?

...and do you understand that Microsoft checks and certifies all content patches that go out on Xbox live as a precaution to stop potentially harmful content from making it's way onto Xbox live and that the people who check the content don't work for free. That's why Microsoft charge for updating and as annoying as it is to developers its something they know about well in advance, it's also something of a valuable tool in keeping Xbox live a safer environment.

They had the choice not to release on Xbox live, they also had full knowledge of the Xbox live patching procedure. The fault here is with a company that wanted the Xbox money but now doesn't want to pay out for fixing their product, they didn't have to release on Xbox live.

Also calling someone a moron and a fanboy in a single comment when they had valid points paints you as a less than stellar debater and you should probably work on that one.
Drusus 58

Postby StonecoldMC » 19 Jul 2012, 11:11

altitude2k wrote:There's a damn good reason Microsoft charge for patching. The priority should be to get it right off the bat, not release a broken game and expect to apply the bandages afterwards. I'm not suggesting that Polytron didn't do their best, but if there was no financial loss attributed to releasing a broken game then the industry would be rife with game-breaking issues from where release dates are put ahead of code quality. As if there weren't enough already.

Not to mention the fact that this was part of the agreement they signed up to in the first place.

Great game, but I've got no real sympathy for Polytron. Especially given the time it was in development, indie or not.

Bingo!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby altitude2k » 19 Jul 2012, 11:18

@StonecoldMC

I'm glad you agree, of all people.
altitude2k 64

Postby StonecoldMC » 19 Jul 2012, 11:36

@altitiude2k

Check out my comment in CVG's opinion piece, I even name check you for putting the point across so well.

Im not going to defend something I think is wrong and in this case, Phil is wrong.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby altitude2k » 19 Jul 2012, 11:40

You're a gent, sir!

Sometimes the people here do make me wish I was able to visit as often as I used to.
altitude2k 64

Postby richomack360 » 19 Jul 2012, 11:49

AJDarkstar wrote:

Thanks for the personal insult, will remember that one when I am clambering off your mother (quote from Snatch)

No, its not MS's fault at all - they present devs with a contract. They signed the contract. if MS didnt charge for updates where would the incentive be for devs to quality check their work knowing they can release unlimited patches?

Trust you would be happy with a game that everytime you loaded had to be updated - or would you like to purchase a product only to be told that they are not going to bother to fix it ?

Silly sausage aren't you.

...and yes, Altitude hit the nail on the head - nice to see a quality post without being accused of being a fanboy (whatever that is)
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby StonecoldMC » 19 Jul 2012, 12:09

altitude2k wrote:You're a gent, sir!

Sometimes the people here do make me wish I was able to visit as often as I used to.

Try to get back more often if you can, the locals can go a bit wild sometimes, need as many sensible heads as possible :lol: .

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 19 Jul 2012, 12:11

Just to add to some of the more sensible comments here, people should know that the first patch is free. The price of the second patch is not only to cover the costs of certification, but also as a deterrent to stop developers releasing broken games that need patching multiple times.
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Next