to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

DICE to discuss Battlefield innovations at GDC Europe

Your comments on our articles.

Studio talk announced as EA reveals Battlefield 4 project

Karl Magnus Troedsson, the manager of Battlefield studio DICE, is to host a speaker session at GDC Europe to examine the history of the shooter franchise.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

DICE to discuss Battlefield innovations at GDC Europe

Postby slarlac249 » 18 Jul 2012, 09:10

going to be a interesting discussion, talking about how they've run out of ideas and how they can't create a decent battlefield game.

I want the old dice back, and a proper PC game.
slarlac249 1
New user

Re: DICE to discuss Battlefield innovations at GDC Europe

Postby richomack360 » 18 Jul 2012, 09:26

After the press conference:

Denis Dyack: I loved that phrase you used during your BF innovations; it was very very clever, where you said revolution, not evolution.
DICE Executive: No, it was the opposite, evolution not revolution.
Denis Dyack: Well, you know, whatever. Because that is me. You know, because I e-volve but I don’t re-volve. Or vice versa. I suppose what you are trying to say is, you don’t want another Peter Molyneux on your hands.
DICE Executive: No that IS what we want.
Denis Dyack: I’m you’re man!

DICE Executive: That’s what I wanted to talk about, Denis. Your career. I can see a lot of very exciting opportunities ahead for you. Really I can.
Denis Dyack: Can I just say, this is music to my ears.

Denis Dyack: Here’s to our future relationship in the games industry.
DICE Executive: I don’t think you should see your future just in the games industry, Denis. I just think it’s time for you to consider moving on to new pastures.
Denis Dyack: Are you going to help me produce a sequel to Too Human?
DICE Executive: There’s so many opportunities…
Denis Dyack: Let me rephrase that. Can I… No, actually I’ll just repeat the question. Are you going to help me produce a sequel to Too Human?
DICE Executive: No
Denis Dyack: Thank you. That’s all I wanted to know.

*fades to an image of Dyack in a lap dancing club surrounded by publishing executives
Denis Dyack: Would you like me to lap dance for you?

DICE Executive: …don’t hesitate, if you have any other ideas, I’d be very interested…
Denis Dyack: Got them here! [Denis picks out a file from his bag] Right, ok. “CoD”, “Black Ops”, “Halo”, “Goldeneye”, “MoH”. What does that say to you about first person shooters?
DICE Executive: There’s too many of them?
Denis Dyack: That’s one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is, people like them, let’s make some more of them.
Denis Dyack: A first person shooter based in Norwich called “Too Humanoid”. “Too humanoid” is a detective who tackles vandalism. Bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it’s necessary. He’s not a criminal, but you know, he will perhaps travel at eighty miles per hour on the motorway. For example he wants to get somewhere quickly. Think about it, no one had heard of iraq before Call of Duty. This will put Norwich on the map.
DICE Executive: Why would I want to do that?
Denis Dyack: Yep, fair point!
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360