to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better tha

Your comments on our articles.

Wii U won't be as far behind as Wii was, says Nintendo boss

Nintendo honcho Satoru Iwata has said that the difference in visuals between the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft and Wii U won't be as "drastic" as the visual gap between Wii and PS3/Xbox 360.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better tha

Postby Eman » 03 Jul 2012, 21:08

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
hmmmmmm
Eman 30
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 20:10
Location: United Kingdom

Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better tha

Postby shiwayb » 03 Jul 2012, 21:09

That's where I would disagree.

Sony have said they won't release a PS4 unless it's a "significant leap" in hardware and likewise Microsoft will also want to wow people.

Power dosent just equal graphics, it's so much more.

I'd rather have powerhouse Nintendo console and have 1080p 60FPS Mario/Zelda/SSB/Pokemon RPG than a console that's going to look like the "Wii" all over again come the new consoles :/

A true RPG Pokemon game I'm guessing would require a lot of power but imagine it based on UE4 :-O

Same for Zelda, characters need to talk, scale and environment needs to improve :/
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Wii U
3DS XL
iPhone 5S
User avatar
shiwayb 55
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 23 Aug 2004, 14:17
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby KesMonkey » 03 Jul 2012, 21:21

shiwayb wrote:That's where I would disagree.

Sony have said they won't release a PS4 unless it's a "significant leap" in hardware and likewise Microsoft will also want to wow people.

Power dosent just equal graphics, it's so much more.

I'd rather have powerhouse Nintendo console and have 1080p 60FPS Mario/Zelda/SSB/Pokemon RPG than a console that's going to look like the "Wii" all over again come the new consoles :/

A true RPG Pokemon game I'm guessing would require a lot of power but imagine it based on UE4 :-O

Same for Zelda, characters need to talk, scale and environment needs to improve :/

Not sure I can agree with you there. Remember what happened when Sonic the Hedgehog learned to speak? :P
I like cake.
User avatar
KesMonkey 62
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:04
Location: Ireland

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby fatherofthenoo » 03 Jul 2012, 21:24

I honestly haven't a clue what Microsoft and Sony have in store for us. It's very exciting. I hope it's something radically different from current technology. There is no point buying a PS4 or 720 if a PC can already do what they could.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby fatherofthenoo » 03 Jul 2012, 21:25

[quote="KesMonkey"Not sure I can agree with you there. Remember what happened when Sonic the Hedgehog learned to speak? :P[/quote]

Ugh, good point. It suits realistic characters like Solid Snake and what not, but not our beloved mascots.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby dwhlufc » 03 Jul 2012, 21:36

fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly haven't a clue what Microsoft and Sony have in store for us. It's very exciting. I hope it's something radically different from current technology. There is no point buying a PS4 or 720 if a PC can already do what they could.

Are you serious?

There's no chance a console from Sony or MS is going to out-do a top end pc, no chance on this planet. There is a point to buying a ps4/720, and that's basically down to accessibility. I haven't the foggiest with pcs and I wouldn't know how to upgrade anything or change settings for games to run at their best. I just like to whack a disc in and off we go.
Image
Image
User avatar
dwhlufc 76
 
Posts: 14813
Joined: 05 Sep 2007, 16:09
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby stealth20k » 03 Jul 2012, 21:37

i think its going to be a ps2, gamecube, xbox situation where they are all close enough
stealth20k 14
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 15:10

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby Sentinator » 03 Jul 2012, 21:38

If you guys have actually seen the rumoured specs you will see they aren't that powerful. Next generation will be a stop gap that relies on new control inputs (touch screen, kinect etc) to make them stand out.

Seriously WHO CARES about power? When it became obvious Wii U was more powerful than PS3 and 360 I could have said "ha ha eat crow sceptics" but I didn't because I don't care.

And btw, Sony said new systems need to something "drastically different". The headline only implied power. Epic and Crytek are disappointed in the new systems. Then you have Dice who say they are building a new engine for PS4 and 720. The thing is they are building it out of expectations for the new systems.

Some companies and consumers are getting their hopes way too high. I bet most of the Nintendo bashers here would suddenly be singing a different tune and saying "who cares about graphics?" when its revealed the next xbox is no different to Wii U. That being it focuses on "gimmicks" and not power.

Most consumers just want new systems for things to feel fresh. Not to see better graphics.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby TechnoWolf » 03 Jul 2012, 21:44

Lets just wait and see~
I'll only be joining next gen halfway through anyway.
TechnoWolf 61
 
Posts: 236
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 20:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby shiwayb » 03 Jul 2012, 21:45

dwhlufc wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly haven't a clue what Microsoft and Sony have in store for us. It's very exciting. I hope it's something radically different from current technology. There is no point buying a PS4 or 720 if a PC can already do what they could.

Are you serious?

There's no chance a console from Sony or MS is going to out-do a top end pc, no chance on this planet. There is a point to buying a ps4/720, and that's basically down to accessibility. I haven't the foggiest with pcs and I wouldn't know how to upgrade anything or change settings for games to run at their best. I just like to whack a disc in and off we go.



Are you being serious?

You can buy a gaming PC all set up for you and with the games at a basic level you just out the Dow in, install and play. The game by default picks the "optimal settings".

And with upgrading its just as easy, e.g. the Graphixs card, unscrew the case panel, pull out card, slot in new card :/

Plus theres millions of videos on YouTube showing you how if you need any more help :/
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Wii U
3DS XL
iPhone 5S
User avatar
shiwayb 55
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 23 Aug 2004, 14:17
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby fatherofthenoo » 03 Jul 2012, 21:48

dwhlufc wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly haven't a clue what Microsoft and Sony have in store for us. It's very exciting. I hope it's something radically different from current technology. There is no point buying a PS4 or 720 if a PC can already do what they could.

Are you serious?

There's no chance a console from Sony or MS is going to out-do a top end pc, no chance on this planet. There is a point to buying a ps4/720, and that's basically down to accessibility. I haven't the foggiest with pcs and I wouldn't know how to upgrade anything or change settings for games to run at their best. I just like to whack a disc in and off we go.


Ok, let me rephrase it then. If a current PC might already be able do what the PS4/720 can do, then they are going to be very "meh". They need to offer something unique, and do something to differentiate themselves from each other too.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby fatherofthenoo » 03 Jul 2012, 21:51

shiwayb wrote:You can buy a gaming PC all set up for you and with the games at a basic level you just out the Dow in, install and play. The game by default picks the "optimal settings".

And with upgrading its just as easy, e.g. the Graphixs card, unscrew the case panel, pull out card, slot in new card :/

Plus theres millions of videos on YouTube showing you how if you need any more help :/


Cool. It's like a do it yourself games console... I might become PC gamer and abandon consoles altogether :twisted:
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 03 Jul 2012, 21:51

fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly haven't a clue what Microsoft and Sony have in store for us. It's very exciting. I hope it's something radically different from current technology. There is no point buying a PS4 or 720 if a PC can already do what they could.


They've always been able to do what consoles can do... since when has any console been radically different in gaming terms from PCs? The point in consoles is that people don't have to spend hours each time they get a new game trying to set it up.

As for Iwata, this is just damage control. Trying to justify the lack of jump for the Wii-U and to deter consumers from waiting for next gen to start by buying the Wii-U instead.
Image
User avatar
Mmmmgrolsch 74
 
Posts: 11503
Joined: 02 Dec 2008, 12:18
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby shiwayb » 03 Jul 2012, 21:51

Sentinator wrote:If you guys have actually seen the rumoured specs you will see they aren't that powerful. Next generation will be a stop gap that relies on new control inputs (touch screen, kinect etc) to make them stand out.

Seriously WHO CARES about power? When it became obvious Wii U was more powerful than PS3 and 360 I could have said "ha ha eat crow sceptics" but I didn't because I don't care.

And btw, Sony said new systems need to something "drastically different". The headline only implied power. Epic and Crytek are disappointed in the new systems. Then you have Dice who say they are building a new engine for PS4 and 720. The thing is they are building it out of expectations for the new systems.

Some companies and consumers are getting their hopes way too high. I bet most of the Nintendo bashers here would suddenly be singing a different tune and saying "who cares about graphics?" when its revealed the next xbox is no different to Wii U. That being it focuses on "gimmicks" and not power.

Most consumers just want new systems for things to feel fresh. Not to see better graphics.




What have you been smoking?

Rounered specs say the next Xbox could have a IBM 16-Core CPU with a dual GPU !

Who cares about power?

What do you think makes games work?

Hardware!!!

More power = more possibilities!

Better gameplay, more calculations, more scale, basically improve a game in every way!

Again no idea what you been reading but apparently the Wii U isnt even as powerful as a 360 / PS3, having a old ATi GPU :/

More power dosent just equal better graphics, name one Nintendo game with a grand scale like God of War.

Name one Nintendo game that has character animation like Uncharted.

Oh wait not enough power to do it :/
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Wii U
3DS XL
iPhone 5S
User avatar
shiwayb 55
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 23 Aug 2004, 14:17
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Re: Iwata: PS4/Xbox 720 graphics won't be drastically better

Postby shiwayb » 03 Jul 2012, 21:56

fatherofthenoo wrote:
shiwayb wrote:You can buy a gaming PC all set up for you and with the games at a basic level you just out the Dow in, install and play. The game by default picks the "optimal settings".

And with upgrading its just as easy, e.g. the Graphixs card, unscrew the case panel, pull out card, slot in new card :/

Plus theres millions of videos on YouTube showing you how if you need any more help :/


Cool. It's like a do it yourself games console... I might become PC gamer and abandon consoles altogether :twisted:



Why would you feel the need to "abandon consoles" ?

Why not have the best of both worlds like a normal person would?

Honestly fanboys are so blind, thinking to have one you cannot hve the other :/

*of course if you can't afford to have it all, fair enough, though it's still not a reason to hate for no reason :/
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Wii U
3DS XL
iPhone 5S
User avatar
shiwayb 55
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 23 Aug 2004, 14:17
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]