to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batman ca

Your comments on our articles.

Still enjoyable, even if Beenox are no Rocksteady

Every superhero has a power that developers need to nail. For Green Lantern it's the ability to construct literally anything imaginable - understandably, this is hard, and that's why there are no good Green Lantern games.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batman ca

Postby dookiephonic » 29 Jun 2012, 13:16

If only Suckerpunch made Spiderman games :roll:
User avatar
dookiephonic 54
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 12:11

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 29 Jun 2012, 13:34

dookiephonic wrote:If only Suckerpunch made Spiderman games :roll:


Well they already did with infamous. Which was well. OK . Beenox make good spiderman games, Shattered dimensions was great and Even edge of time although it might as well of been a beefy bit of dlc was still an enjoyable semi sequel.

I just want to see more superhero games. Like green lantern and the Hulk. Its a shame free radical just got axed because after the work they did with prototype they would of been ideal for it.

Green Lantern i think woould be well made by the brains behind Scribblenausts. Purely because it kind of is the closest thing to a green lantern game (powerwise) without actually being about (insert your favourite green lantern here).
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 8978
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby l1nc » 29 Jun 2012, 13:47

I picked the game up this morning and so far I'm loving it. The combat is good the city looks awesome and It's got a cool collect em all comic book thing I'm addicted to. I think the game is well worth the money and I'm well happy.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 42
 
Posts: 374
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 09:49
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby ensabahnur » 29 Jun 2012, 14:39

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
dookiephonic wrote:If only Suckerpunch made Spiderman games :roll:


Well they already did with infamous. Which was well. OK . Beenox make good spiderman games, Shattered dimensions was great and Even edge of time although it might as well of been a beefy bit of dlc was still an enjoyable semi sequel.

I just want to see more superhero games. Like green lantern and the Hulk. Its a shame free radical just got axed because after the work they did with prototype they would of been ideal for it.

Green Lantern i think woould be well made by the brains behind Scribblenausts. Purely because it kind of is the closest thing to a green lantern game (powerwise) without actually being about (insert your favourite green lantern here).


Yeah i thought Radical Entertainment did pretty well with the Prototype games, the sequel was brilliant and the closest to a proper free roam superhero game there's been this gen. Pity Activision dumped them, hopefully someone will pick them up. Wasn't it them that did the Hulk Ultimate Destruction game which was also a hell of a lot of fun?

As for Suckerpunch, InFamous 1+2 were great games but not without their niggles, but i don't see them capturing the webswinger correctly either. The story for both InFamous games was pedestrian and just trundled along in the background. Cole could also control like a s**t on a stick sometimes, don't think it would mesh with Spidey's movement. If anyone would do it justice it would have probably been Radical Entertainment.

And nobody will ever make a great Green Lantern or Superman game, GL's power is controlled by his will and imagination so to be limited to a few chosen power moves diminishes his effect. And Superman is just too powerful, you'd have to introduce the usual macguffin of some sort of depowering ray.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
User avatar
ensabahnur 68
 
Posts: 5023
Joined: 04 Sep 2006, 13:33
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby jamster_1992 » 29 Jun 2012, 14:52

looks cool
jamster_1992 23
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 May 2012, 15:05
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby Drazkul » 29 Jun 2012, 15:47

Like Treyarch's 2004 gem, webs stick to buildings rather than vague spots in the sky. You'll hold the right trigger to swing automatically, and though it feels a little hands-off in comparison, skill comes from rhythmically releasing the button to swing at different heights, speeds and angles.


I've seen gameplay footage from a lets play and i can certaintly say this isnt true - even the guy commentating realises his webs are hitting nothing above him while he swings around.
Drazkul 52
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2012, 10:34
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Drazkul
PSN ID: drazkul
Steam: Drazkul

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby sonic_uk » 29 Jun 2012, 16:10

I wasn't interested in this game at all, fully expecting yet another crappy movie tie in game, but after seeing and reading a few reviews yesterday along with some gameplay footage I went out and bought the game earlier today. I got the impression it was similar in style to the recent Batman games which are excellent, and the game indeed looks pretty good fun. I'm going to give it a try sometime soon (got a huge backlog to get through too). Even the guy in the store said he was very surprised at how many copies they'd sold today, I don't think they were expecting it to be so popular.

ensabahnur wrote:And nobody will ever make a great Green Lantern or Superman game, GL's power is controlled by his will and imagination so to be limited to a few chosen power moves diminishes his effect. And Superman is just too powerful, you'd have to introduce the usual macguffin of some sort of depowering ray.


Superman 64? Lol, just kidding!

Seriously though, I think it would be difficult to make a decent Superman game, I mean the guy is practically invincible, so unless every enemy is made out of Kryptonite it would be difficult to pull it off convincingly. I mean, a Superman game where you, for instance, go around beating up thugs and muggers etc would be ok in the 8/16 bit days because no-one thought of stuff like that back then. In those days a game was just a good, fun and usually (depending on the game) simple way to escape reality, but in today's very critical industry with more complex games and with equally critical/fussy/vocal gamers I don't think something like that would wash.

What was the Hulk game like Btw (the most recent one)? It got mixed reviews but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
User avatar
sonic_uk 56
 
Posts: 3420
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby ShadowBoxer » 29 Jun 2012, 16:40

sonic_uk wrote:
Superman 64? Lol, just kidding!

Seriously though, I think it would be difficult to make a decent Superman game, I mean the guy is practically invincible, so unless every enemy is made out of Kryptonite it would be difficult to pull it off convincingly. I mean, a Superman game where you, for instance, go around beating up thugs and muggers etc would be ok in the 8/16 bit days because no-one thought of stuff like that back then. In those days a game was just a good, fun and usually (depending on the game) simple way to escape reality, but in today's very critical industry with more complex games and with equally critical/fussy/vocal gamers I don't think something like that would wash.

What was the Hulk game like Btw (the most recent one)? It got mixed reviews but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.


Even though it got terrible reviews, I feel Superman Returns for Xbox/Ps2 pretty much nailed the mechanics of a superman game. The most important thing for a superman game is getting his powers right - particularly flying and superman returns perfected that. It was only brought down by its lack of a story and empty open world. I also respect the fact that the developers of that game stayed faithful to the character even though that meant making him pretty much invincible.

The last hulk game was the 2008 movie tie in and it was average at best. If you want the perfect hulk game get Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Same developer as prototype but its much better than prototype. Best hulk game ever, arguably one of the best superhero games ever.
ShadowBoxer 13
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Jun 2012, 22:13

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby ensabahnur » 29 Jun 2012, 16:53

sonic_uk wrote:

What was the Hulk game like Btw (the most recent one)? It got mixed reviews but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.


Superman Returns? Terrible!! The only good Superman game i've played was The Death and Return of Superman on the SNES way back in 94, it was a side-scrolling beat-em-up like Streets of Rage. In fact there were a few superhero games like that back then, a few Spiderman ones, Batman Returns. Either that or they were vs fighting games.

The recent Hulk game actually wasn't too bad if you just wanted to go on a rampage. Not a great looker but fun for a muck around. Probably worth spunking a fiver on. Though if Ultimate Destruction is on the BC list for 360 i'd recommend getting that instead.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
User avatar
ensabahnur 68
 
Posts: 5023
Joined: 04 Sep 2006, 13:33
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby vladimirimp » 29 Jun 2012, 17:32

How can 'massive spoilers' be a negative in a game review based on a film? Would the novel of the movie be marked down for the same thing (or, as it seems, a novel of a sequel to the film)? What was the reviewer thinking? What a breathtakingly stupid thing to write.
vladimirimp 54
 
Posts: 269
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 21:13

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby ShadowBoxer » 29 Jun 2012, 18:37

ensabahnur wrote:
Superman Returns? Terrible!! The only good Superman game i've played was The Death and Return of Superman on the SNES way back in 94, it was a side-scrolling beat-em-up like Streets of Rage. In fact there were a few superhero games like that back then, a few Spiderman ones, Batman Returns. Either that or they were vs fighting games.


I'm sure the death and return of superman was a fun game but it wasn't a superman game, it was streets of rage with superman skin.

Superman Returns is the best because you feel like superman with all of his powers and the ability to fly around a city. Overall the game wasn't great but the mechanics were spot on. Take that game, give it a budget, reasonable development time, and something resembling a script and voila, you have a GREAT superman game.
ShadowBoxer 13
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Jun 2012, 22:13

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby wishface » 29 Jun 2012, 19:48

Spoilers? Lmao! Seriously what do people think happens in the new movie? Good grief.
wishface 41
 
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Feb 2009, 23:55
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby SavageEvil » 29 Jun 2012, 21:08

Lol, a Superman game. Superman is the worst super hero ever created. It's not bad enough that his entire city is full of fools who can't see the remarkably similar features between Kent and Supes, but as Supes this idiot forgets to use his brain to dispatch enemies. Anyone with half a brain would dispatch supes foes easily with his plethora of abilities and super speed which no one but the Flash is fast enough to deal with.

Spiderman needs to be built more like the Batman games, lots of stealth and using the playfield to your advantage. Spidermans world must be built around him, the team that made Hulk Ultimate Destruction were amazing, their Hulk game was fun as hell, not without it's glaring flaws but it captured Hulk rampaging beast abilities quite well. Hulk's move set is what made the game fun, he could jump super high, he could pick anything that was moveable, run faster than cars, run up and along walls. Spiderman, he's nimble and agile(meaning lots of reasons to have him skillfully perform parkcour type moves while web swinging), he should be quite agile on foot as well as cat like in mid air, jumping should be rather amazing and allow for jumping off walls to perform rebound attacks, walking and running up walls should be a given aside from that annoyingly slow wall crawling(abused to the point of I'm sick of seeing it used). Shattered Dimension completely made me mad, what is with wall that I can't climb on, who makes walls like that? Hate when devs get lazy and limit the character like that, proof that the game was built first then the character tossed in later.

Batman succeeds because he has no super powers. Has pretty normal abilities but has all range combat capabilities and phenomenal strength and lots of gadgets. The world he resides in is built to increase stealth ability, singling out enemies and silently taking them down increases success rate, diversionary tactics work as well. This is what makes Batman Arkham so good. Hopefully someone else can use a super hero in a great way in a game again. Will give Spiderman a try out soon.
SavageEvil 51
 
Posts: 866
Joined: 15 Nov 2002, 03:23
Location: United States

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby illage2 » 29 Jun 2012, 21:23

No interest in this game. No interest in Marvel any more.

Whose to blame? DISNEY!
ImageImage
User avatar
illage2 54
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: 30 Dec 2010, 08:20
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: Amazing Spider-man review: Spidey's best yet - but Batma

Postby ShadowBoxer » 29 Jun 2012, 22:06

illage2 wrote:No interest in this game. No interest in Marvel any more.

Whose to blame? DISNEY!


Disney has nothing to do with this game or the movie.
ShadowBoxer 13
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Jun 2012, 22:13

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]