BioWare Backtracks: 4 things changed in the new Mass Effect

Your comments on our articles.

Smart clarifications or obvious patch jobs? You decide...

Despite fan outrage aimed at the original Mass Effect 3 endings, BioWare promised it would only "expand and clarify" the conclusions presented in the Extended Cut DLC.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

BioWare Backtracks: 4 things changed in the new Mass Effect

Postby ToriksLV » 26 Jun 2012, 17:52

It wouldnt be a suprise If Mass Effect 4 would be announced in the near future.
ToriksLV 23

Re: BioWare Backtracks: 4 things changed in the new Mass Eff

Postby damoxuk » 26 Jun 2012, 18:00

Hey why not post another article about Mass Effect 3's ending today?
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby sta1ny » 26 Jun 2012, 18:10

**SPOILERS**

I was really happy with the extended endings although I'm a little confused which is the true "perfect" ending as they all seem to be positive (apart from the new 4th one)

BLUE- become a reaper/sort of god and shape the world to fit everyone.

GREEN- everyone is the same and equal, no more war?

RED- no more reapers and Shepard seems to survive.

My opinion is that Shepard beat indoctrination in the 'RED' ending and then woke up back in London (final scene) and we will truly beat the game via DLC at some point.

Before ppl start moaning, this is just MY opinion/wishful thinking but if it didn't happen I'm happy with what Bioware has done.
sta1ny 27

Postby KMakawa » 26 Jun 2012, 22:46

SPOILERS - MY OPINION OF THE CUT.

I chose the Synthesis ending during my main playthrough, and I chose it once more during the DLC Cut - I stuck with my original decision as I have done, always with Mass Effect - so that my character is a true form of what I would do - not rigging the way things turn out, or what happens in the game.

Synthesis, I believe was and still is (now due to the light being shone by the Cut) is the best option - I believe. Shepard may of died sure, however no war, all has been merged to one, and reapers have provided knowledge from all the previous civilizations and added it to this current civilization. Thus allowing humanity to rebuild, grow and more importantly - have peace throughout the galaxy.

I was constantly told "Nahh, its the wrong decision!!!" - doesnt feel that way now.

Proud that I have stuck with my laurels.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Postby Imaduck » 27 Jun 2012, 03:08

SPOILERS

I chose blue, still best or second best I reckon although red has something going for it now. Glad they made each of those listed items make some f**king sense now. Indoctrination theory may have been better though frankly. ME3's still full of holes that only that theory could cover and there's still an ending where Shephard wakes up back in London..... lolwut, woopsie daisies Bioware.
Last edited by Imaduck on 27 Jun 2012, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Imaduck 58

Postby bamozzy » 27 Jun 2012, 11:07

KMakawa wrote:SPOILERS - MY OPINION OF THE CUT.

I chose the Synthesis ending during my main playthrough, and I chose it once more during the DLC Cut - I stuck with my original decision as I have done, always with Mass Effect - so that my character is a true form of what I would do - not rigging the way things turn out, or what happens in the game.

Synthesis, I believe was and still is (now due to the light being shone by the Cut) is the best option - I believe. Shepard may of died sure, however no war, all has been merged to one, and reapers have provided knowledge from all the previous civilizations and added it to this current civilization. Thus allowing humanity to rebuild, grow and more importantly - have peace throughout the galaxy.

I was constantly told "Nahh, its the wrong decision!!!" - doesnt feel that way now.

Proud that I have stuck with my laurels.

I chose Synthesis too and feel that is the 'best' option.

Red means that all Synthetics die - including Edi and Geth
Blue means that all Organics die
Green means that both Organics and Synthetics live in Peace and Harmony and that Shepherd sacrifices him/herself for this - although according to the Starchild s/he lives on in a spiritual sense.

Personally I was a little touched by her name being added to the memorial wall although I had half expected him/her to live on in some form - maybew not physical - although that could be possible (like Edi) but more like the starchiild. Maybe s/he will in future Mass Effect games
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 68

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby HarleyQuin » 27 Jun 2012, 12:13

What ever ending you choose it still dosn't make much sense,personally i'd of liked no stupid star child and humanity and all others the other races blowing the reapers sky high,or turning the reapers against each other and killing each other.I'm sure they could think of a new baddie for mass effect 4.
HarleyQuin 16

Postby lb50 » 27 Jun 2012, 12:18

bamozzy wrote:I chose Synthesis too and feel that is the 'best' option.

Red means that all Synthetics die - including Edi and Geth
Blue means that all Organics die
Green means that both Organics and Synthetics live in Peace and Harmony and that Shepherd sacrifices him/herself for this - although according to the Starchild s/he lives on in a spiritual sense.

Personally I was a little touched by her name being added to the memorial wall although I had half expected him/her to live on in some form - maybew not physical - although that could be possible (like Edi) but more like the starchiild. Maybe s/he will in future Mass Effect games

How does the blue ending mean all organics die? Have you even seen it? The Reapers fall back, and later help rebuild Earth and the Mass Relays.
lb50 1
New user

Postby Black Mantis » 27 Jun 2012, 14:09

HarleyQuin wrote:What ever ending you choose it still dosn't make much sense,personally i'd of liked no stupid star child and humanity and all others the other races blowing the reapers sky high,or turning the reapers against each other and killing each other.I'm sure they could think of a new baddie for mass effect 4.

Bioware have been hinting at the new bad guys already, further hints will be in the 1st bit of story dlc. I wouldn't expect them to show up in that though, best to leave it till next-gen. I do wonder what will become of The Reapers though...
Black Mantis 67

Postby KMakawa » 27 Jun 2012, 15:01

Black Mantis wrote:
HarleyQuin wrote:What ever ending you choose it still dosn't make much sense,personally i'd of liked no stupid star child and humanity and all others the other races blowing the reapers sky high,or turning the reapers against each other and killing each other.I'm sure they could think of a new baddie for mass effect 4.

Bioware have been hinting at the new bad guys already, further hints will be in the 1st bit of story dlc. I wouldn't expect them to show up in that though, best to leave it till next-gen. I do wonder what will become of The Reapers though...

Yeah, I noticed when chatting to the "Catalyst" when asking "Who built the Crucible" he was like "It would take too long for me to tell you who, and there is not enough time for that." ..or something along those lines - basically it was something BEFORE the Reapers, good enough hint to Mass Effect's direction methinks.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Postby dwp1slyfox » 27 Jun 2012, 15:44

I think the synthesis ending was the best. EDI survives. Shepard becomes immortal. Anyone see a correlation to religion in Shepard's death, resurrection, and life eternal? Shepard sacrifices himself so that many may be "saved" and in doing so, becomes incredibly powerful and godlike. Also, the significance of Bioware giving the commander the name Shepard. No first name. A herder of people, in effect, himself a collector (Oh the irony). Interesting that this was the choice the illusive man wanted all along, but he did not have Shepard's strength, character, or conviction and was indoctrinated. It appears Shepard escaped that fate (I think). In the synthesis conclusion, Shepard says he is "the man who fought to become the one who could lead the many". It is interesting however that the synthesis and destroy options both lead to damage to the mass relays and leave many civilizations back in the "stone age" before interstellar space flight. If Shepard chooses not to accept the options the catalyst gives him/her, humanity is obliterated but future civilizations use the collective knowledge gained to defeat the reapers and the relays are undisturbed. There are questions I still have, but that's what DLC is for I guess. The endings are alot better than what was previously offered, that's for sure.
dwp1slyfox 1
New user

Postby Imaduck » 27 Jun 2012, 16:21

SPOILERS

I'd say Control was best personally. Shephard paid the price for everyone, never again will the Reapers be a threat, now they'll help if needed, mine were busy repairing the damage they did including the relays!. The peace and unity created remains, nobody had anything forced on them. Basically Shephard paid one final price and everyone else got to keep their freedom and inherited a lasting peace. What's not to like?
Imaduck 58

Postby cell989 » 27 Jun 2012, 20:10

All of you who choose CONTROL or SYNTH have successfully been INDOCTRINATED :lol:
cell989 4

Postby Imaduck » 28 Jun 2012, 15:13

As an IT fan - go away.
Imaduck 58

Postby Jodmeister » 28 Jun 2012, 17:43

dwp1slyfox wrote:I think the synthesis ending was the best. EDI survives. Shepard becomes immortal. Anyone see a correlation to religion in Shepard's death, resurrection, and life eternal? Shepard sacrifices himself so that many may be "saved" and in doing so, becomes incredibly powerful and godlike. Also, the significance of Bioware giving the commander the name Shepard. No first name. A herder of people, in effect, himself a collector (Oh the irony). Interesting that this was the choice the illusive man wanted all along, but he did not have Shepard's strength, character, or conviction and was indoctrinated. It appears Shepard escaped that fate (I think). In the synthesis conclusion, Shepard says he is "the man who fought to become the one who could lead the many". It is interesting however that the synthesis and destroy options both lead to damage to the mass relays and leave many civilizations back in the "stone age" before interstellar space flight. If Shepard chooses not to accept the options the catalyst gives him/her, humanity is obliterated but future civilizations use the collective knowledge gained to defeat the reapers and the relays are undisturbed. There are questions I still have, but that's what DLC is for I guess. The endings are alot better than what was previously offered, that's for sure.

I've always thought the name of Shepard was somewhat obvious in its "messianic" meaning. This was stressed again for me when I watched the little cutscene at the end of the credits again - the child asks their grandfather about more stories about "the Shepherd".

So far I haven't tried the "I'm not choosing" option yet; not sure whether having a full galaxy at war level (100% and ~7000 war assets) makes any different to that outcome.
Jodmeister 38