to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why I Love... Half-Life

Your comments on our articles.

From Gordon Freeman to Portal 2, Valve's rich universe continues to deliver

What's the iconic moment from the Half-Life universe? Perhaps it's being woken by the G-man's pep-talk in Half-Life 2 as your past and future flashes before your eyes.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Why I Love... Half-Life

Postby daffy88 » 23 Jun 2012, 22:54

I like half life, but at this rate chances are I wont see any kind of conclusion to the story. Not in this life time at least. :roll:

Half life came out 14 years ago. :o

Wish more games would have self contained stories, so that playing sequels isn't necessary.
daffy88 44

Re: Why I Love... Half-Life

Postby bubblyofart » 24 Jun 2012, 00:21

5 years?! That's not too bad then, considering no news of HL2 emerged for almost 6 years between HL and HL2.

Hopefully the long wait isnt just for Valve's new console but also the fact they're making HL3 rather than HL2:Episode 3, because I don't want to see the series end on an Episode but a full blown game.
bubblyofart 47

Postby Imaduck » 24 Jun 2012, 03:20

I'm at "that time of the month" again ...... thinking about Half-Life every day non-stop :|
Imaduck 58

Postby liquidsoap89 » 24 Jun 2012, 05:30

Nova Prospect is better than Ravenholm.
liquidsoap89 50

PSN ID: liquidsoap89
Steam: willisc_89
xFire: liquidsoap89

Postby corkscru74 » 24 Jun 2012, 09:52

Half Life changed everything. I remember going to a mates house during a free period when I should have been studying for my GCSEs and watching the monorail intro for the very first time. Magical.

I remember getting a seemingly innocuous copy of PCZone in the post and wetting myself when I saw the HL2 logo on the front cover. Then taking a day off work on release day and playing ALL day.

But I think the most important thing that Half Life did for the gaming community was to bring modding to the forefront of people's minds. Sure, people had been modding games pretty much since day one, but Counter Strike showed you could make money from it and TF, Day of Defeat and a dozen others (They Hunger!) showed that the modding community can extend a games life by years.
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby IplayVideogames » 24 Jun 2012, 12:23

I never understood the appeal of Half-life or Portal. Both games barely explain what to do (although I understand that is a positive for a lot of people) and both games give me motion sickness (which is probably the main reason I dislike both games.) However, Team Fortress 2 is pure genius (also for some reason doesn't give me motion sickness.)
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Postby Welsh Jester » 24 Jun 2012, 12:24

This series stomps all over Halo in quality, can't wait for Black Mesa and then Half Life 3.

I'll definitely upgrade to the newest graphics card if need be when it's announced, like Half Life 2 was worth buying a 6800 ultra for back in 2004 even if it didn't keep blazing fast framerates.

Hopefully they are developing Source engine 2 for the 3rd game and can base future games like Left 4 Dead 3 on it.. awesome.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby jtake9 » 24 Jun 2012, 13:00

I am also someone really looking forward to Black Mesa!! I will always be a sucker for the first Half Life mainly because i was at the age where roaming through a dark alien infested underground laboratory gave me the rose tinted heebies.
jtake9 25

Postby bubblyofart » 24 Jun 2012, 15:02

corkscru74 wrote:Half Life changed everything. I remember going to a mates house during a free period when I should have been studying for my GCSEs and watching the monorail intro for the very first time. Magical.

I remember getting a seemingly innocuous copy of PCZone in the post and wetting myself when I saw the HL2 logo on the front cover. Then taking a day off work on release day and playing ALL day.

But I think the most important thing that Half Life did for the gaming community was to bring modding to the forefront of people's minds. Sure, people had been modding games pretty much since day one, but Counter Strike showed you could make money from it and TF, Day of Defeat and a dozen others (They Hunger!) showed that the modding community can extend a games life by years.

OMG! Someone else who finally acknowledges the greatness of THEY HUNGER! That was an epic zombie game with a fantastic story, never did dl the final part of the game to see how it concluded though. I'v gotta go back and find it in my cupboard
bubblyofart 47

Postby DoomGuy84 » 24 Jun 2012, 15:27

Im currently playing through Half Life 2 at the moment for the first time, i bought the original xbox version for £2.50, the frame rate suffers badly at times but im still loving it. I cant believe i'd never played it before its an absolutely incredible game. Its a lot more exciting than HL1 i think because i thought HL1 had a bit too much focus on puzzles and platforming. The Ravenholm level is superb, really creepy with a ghost town feeling to it. I'd read people complaining about the vehicle sections but i thought they were excellent and were a nice break from the normal levels. Cant wait for HL3 now!
DoomGuy84 30

Postby Pokeymike » 24 Jun 2012, 20:32

I started a new HL2 game recently on my newly upgraded PC. I've lost count of the number of times I have played through this game. I know I have completed it on PC, Xbox, and 360 over the last few years.
The Ravenholm level is still my favourite. Fabulous game and eager to play the next one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
POKE 23609,255
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokeymike 42

Postby Agamon » 24 Jun 2012, 21:04

Most over rated games ever....V are just waiting until they are backed into a corner and need a killer app. I hope its never released
Agamon 38

Postby Imaduck » 24 Jun 2012, 21:47

I respect your right to be a dick.
Imaduck 58

Postby paperywhiteboy » 24 Jun 2012, 22:01

Imaduck wrote:I respect your right to be a dick.

I concur.
paperywhiteboy 53

PSN ID: PETRIMOV

Postby bakagami » 25 Jun 2012, 06:30

Agamon wrote:Most over rated games ever....V are just waiting until they are backed into a corner and need a killer app. I hope its never released

trol-lol-lo-lo
bakagami 5
New user

PSN ID: death_by_wabbit
Steam: shinitaru

Next