to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why I dread multiplayer

Your comments on our articles.

Richard Cobbett says the best way to wreck a game is to share it with other people

After writing "hell is other people", it's said that the philosopher Jean-Paul Satre sat back in his chair, smiled to himself, and enjoyed a moment's transcendent joy that the other people he had to deal with had never come armed with a plasma rifle or - worse - a headset. Nothing destroys a great game like letting other people into it.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Why I dread multiplayer

Postby jonbwfc » 23 Jun 2012, 20:14

+about 1 milion.

Hey, you? Yes, you. GET THE HELL OUT OF MY GAME.
jonbwfc 58

Re: Why I dread multiplayer

Postby dwhlufc » 23 Jun 2012, 20:37

I really enjoyed it a year or so back but now i just can't be bothered with it.

When I watched the "Watch Dogs E3 trailer I was really hyped and thought it looked great.......until the end when the camera panned out to reveal another player in your game. Hopefully you won't have to play it online once it's released otherwise I won't bother with it.
dwhlufc 76

Postby sh4dow83 » 23 Jun 2012, 20:47

Well... it depends on the friends you have and the game. I do enjoy games that are well-designed for co-op. Army of Two for instance was great fun.

But playing with strangers, I feel similar pointlessness. First of all, it doesn't feel like it means anything to me. They might as well be bots. It's not about their skill, it's the detachment from them (I don't see/hear them) that makes it seem that way to me.
And if you dare to plug in a headset in order to try to connect to people... you know... talk about tactics, a little friendly banter, etc. - HAHA! At least on XBL that was... simply impossible. Aside from Tony Hawk 8. That was played by largely pleasant people (and in 2011, still).
Which is why I stopped using my XBL subscription for a year after about 1-2 months.
Last edited by sh4dow83 on 23 Jun 2012, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
sh4dow83 44

Postby Stryker89 » 23 Jun 2012, 20:52

I love the occasional co-op mode like Horde or Firefight, but Versus modes can do one. I can't stand it! Not the fact that I'm rubbish at it (OK, maybe a little bit...), but as the article said, there's really no point to it. You don't gain anything from playing multiplayer, it's just one meaningless round after another. I prefer to play through single player campaigns which actually have meaning and emotional value.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby illage2 » 23 Jun 2012, 20:56

He's right. 100%.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby sulli456 » 23 Jun 2012, 21:04

See i can't do co-op, I don't use a mic, so it is either frantic typing or trying to guess what we should do. And i don't like people relying on me to do something, i like to figure it out on my own and not look like an idiot, hence why i haven't bothered with portal 2 co-op as much as i would like to.

General multiplayer i can ignore everyone, nobody seems to use tactics and when playing things like CS:S or max payne 3 we have time to type and figure it out if they are that type of person. But i don't bother with it much, i prefer the story the solitude of singleplayer being the best because in multiplayer i am painfully average at best. If i get in the middle of the scoreboard i have had a good match.

I agree with this feature.
sulli456 47

Postby TechnoWolf » 23 Jun 2012, 21:07

I'm so glad there are still people who love single player as much as I~
TechnoWolf 61

Postby billysastard » 23 Jun 2012, 21:13

get used to it.

greedy scum can make far more profits with lower expenses by making other paying customers provide the "entertainment", making a decent single player game or even a social multiplayer game takes a lot more work and its much harder to sell an "online pass" for a single player game, same goes for dlc.

we can just hope that as with ea and take 2 their share continue to plummet and eventually they get the message that we are sick of being ripped off and they start making games again instead of the current online marketplaces with a bit of a game attached.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Imaduck » 23 Jun 2012, 21:25

Fantastic article. Hit the nail on the head. Thought I was part of some sort of dying breed for a while. Respect :)
Imaduck 58

Postby Dragovian » 23 Jun 2012, 21:28

Brilliant article.

I've tried online multiplayer and I just don't get it... even with friends. It's not that I'm anti-social. Something like Golden Axe is much better with someone in the same room as you, and I'm glad the internet lets people hook up. What bothers me is series that were never multiplayer are being turned into MMOs, like Dragon Quest X. To my mind, it's ruining a lot of what was good about them.
Dragovian 34

Postby sh4dow83 » 23 Jun 2012, 21:28

billysastard wrote:greedy scum can make far more profits with lower expenses by making other paying customers provide the "entertainment"

Don't forget games that heavily rely on mods here.
I wonder how well e.g. those Elder Scrolls Games would sell if users wouldn't provide all those great mods.
sh4dow83 44

Postby sh4dow83 » 23 Jun 2012, 21:34

Dragovian wrote:Something like Golden Axe is much better with someone in the same room as you

I agree. That reminds me that I actually only once tried playing with a friend online (usually I'm in the same room with them). And it really wasn't much fun. Only hearing his distorted voice that cut out now and then... again - so detached... many of the subtleties of human contact missing.
sh4dow83 44

Postby photoboy » 23 Jun 2012, 21:49

Excellent article! It perfectly captures all the reasons why I don't like or play multiplayer. It's also why I'm really sick of the increasing number of games that think they need to include MP in order to compete. I'd much rather the time and energy spent on developing an MP mode be spent on improving the single player experience (especially in games like Mass Effect 3).
photoboy 49

Postby Stryker89 » 23 Jun 2012, 21:52

I should also add that this is exactly why co-op modes in Resident Evil/Dead Space is such a bad idea. It'll completely take out the suspense and believability from the game. I don't want to be walking down a dark corridor with my friend yapping on in my headset about how "Kate Upton would SO totally get it". I want to be on my own, engrossed in a world that's exactly how the developers originally intended it.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby sh4dow83 » 23 Jun 2012, 22:10

Stryker89 wrote:I should also add that this is exactly why co-op modes in Resident Evil/Dead Space is such a bad idea. It'll completely take out the suspense and believability from the game. I don't want to be walking down a dark corridor with my friend yapping on in my headset about how "Kate Upton would SO totally get it".

LOL gotta play with friends who are more mature then :P
Sure, if such games would be co-op only, it would be horrible. But I don't see where the problem lies if it's optional. I doubt e.g. RE5 would have been a better game without co-op. I had issues with other things and as far as I read, the same was true for many other fans of RE4 or even the "original series".
sh4dow83 44

Next