id Software's John Carmack not excited by next-gen

Your comments on our articles.

...unless VR gaming is involved

id Software's John Carmack has said he's "not all that excited" by next-gen hardware, claiming that new consoles will only result in prettier versions of what we already play.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

id Software's John Carmack not excited by next-gen

Postby Cell Fish » 20 Jun 2012, 05:38

Well, the same could be said for every generation. Basically we get prettier versions of what we already play, with the only big change so far the jump from 2D in the 16-bit era to the 3D in the 32-bit era. I don't mind, as long as they still can produce fun games. And hopefully the next generation will not only just look better, but also have a lot of improved AI.
Cell Fish 39

Re: id Software's John Carmack not excited by next-gen

Postby diablomaster000 » 20 Jun 2012, 05:53

This is coming from the guy who hyped up rage more then fable 3. Worry about making games that actually run on a pc when the game launches. Next gen is just a label for more epic games.
diablomaster000 55

Postby veato » 20 Jun 2012, 06:40

Nintendo went and brought motion into the gaming sphere and while only having a tenth of the processing power was able to outsell all of them in all of these ways

....which ultimately appealed more to casual and non-gamers playing Wii Fit and pretend bowling. Look, I quite liked the Wii but I can count the amount of games I bought for it on one hand.

I don't simply want prettier versions of what we have now but as a gamer I don't want another underpowered-but-innovative Wii either.
What I'm Playing Most: Ni No Kuni (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / Kerbal Space Program (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 48

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby Padua » 20 Jun 2012, 08:49

VR is cool if it is done well but is hardly a must have for me.

I'm excited by next-generation games which can't run on current gen machines and current-gen games that would be gorgeous if they were not hamstrung by 5+ year old hardware.

The most immersive experience for me this generation was playing Resident Evil 4 on my Wii and getting so engrossed with the motion controls that I tried to peer around the sides of the TV to see if they were hiding :lol:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby bazzatuk » 20 Jun 2012, 09:14

What's wrong with this industry at the moment? Cars are incremental technology and prettier versions of the previous car shapes, do you hear Audi screaming, 'we're not excited about the next generation of our cars.'
bazzatuk 58

Postby RustySpoon80 » 20 Jun 2012, 09:19

Its not all about the graphics, its also about physics. Imagine playing a game as open as Skyrim, with character models out of a sports sim, with vehicles out of GT/Forza, where every item can be interacted with, every building can be entered.
Clearly this wont be next gen, it's some way off yet.
VR wont work correctly outside of an Arcade as you'd always be bumping into things. I think AR is more likely the next big thing.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby GtheMVP » 20 Jun 2012, 09:26

Nintendo sold a lot of systems, but M$ outsold them massively in the software dept because most gamers don't want s**tty motion controls for most games.

I'm down for new tech, especially displays that wrap around my eyes , but I'll be happy with far more horsepower until it's ready for mass market, or would have mass dev support.

What a funny comment by the guy who made doom 3, which required system upgrades back in the day, but brought nothing new to the table.
GtheMVP 39

Postby rhyfel » 20 Jun 2012, 10:03

i am not surprised john carmack isn't excited by the next-gen, he couldn't make a decent game this gen.
rhyfel 37

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 20 Jun 2012, 10:07

As for VR, Carmack said while a consumer release was unlikely to happen within the year, Sony "conceivably could have a product out in the next year".

I've heard nothing but great things about their previous head-mounted display but the cost is prohibitive for the time being. If they can add motion tracking and cut down costs that'd be a must-have for dedicated hardcore gamers. But I don't see this becoming casual, not until they can beam the video feed directly into unexpensive glasses or whatnot :mrgreen:
Stan_Goodspeed 62

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby sakaspuds » 20 Jun 2012, 10:08

why not have all the next gen runs on 1080p/60 most if not all gamers today have a hdtv, by the time next gen comes around even more people will, having a more powerful console benefits everyone, game developers and gamers, if gamers want hires games with a solid frame rate give it to them, they are your customer :P
sakaspuds 42

Postby wellb_b » 20 Jun 2012, 10:12

He would say that wouldnt he. It would be quality if it was made available to main stream but units sold would probably match the PS Move because of price alone. For parents maybe it would be a case of buying the kid a PS4 for Xmas and maybe two year later they buy the head-unit. To make it a success all games would have to support it.
wellb_b 33

Postby billysastard » 20 Jun 2012, 10:20

GtheMVP wrote:Nintendo sold a lot of systems, but M$ outsold them massively in the software dept because most gamers don't want s**tty motion controls for most games.

if only that was actually true, sadly like many things in gaming its a myth.

the actual facts are that attach rates (game sales per console owned) are all pretty close across all 3 last gen platforms.

Attach rates:
Nintendo (as of April 2012) - 8.53
(Source: [www.nintendo.co.jp] )
Sony (as of 2011) - 8.89
(Source: [www.scei.co.jp] )
Microsoft (as of 2011) - 9.1
(Source: [www.microsoft.com] )

now consider how many wii's were sold in relation to the 360 or ps3 and it become clear that wii software sold way more than software for either of the other platforms. (810.35m for wii, 546.2m for xbox 360).

looks like people did want s**tty motion controls for most games :wink:

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 20 Jun 2012, 10:32

Don't worry, John. We haven't been interested in anything you or ID have done in about 15 years. Since Romero left, basically.
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Postby bazzatuk » 20 Jun 2012, 10:54

billysastard wrote:
GtheMVP wrote:Nintendo sold a lot of systems, but M$ outsold them massively in the software dept because most gamers don't want s**tty motion controls for most games.

if only that was actually true, sadly like many things in gaming its a myth.

the actual facts are that attach rates (game sales per console owned) are all pretty close across all 3 last gen platforms.

Attach rates:
Nintendo (as of April 2012) - 8.53
(Source: [www.nintendo.co.jp] )
Sony (as of 2011) - 8.89
(Source: [www.scei.co.jp] )
Microsoft (as of 2011) - 9.1
(Source: [www.microsoft.com] )

now consider how many wii's were sold in relation to the 360 or ps3 and it become clear that wii software sold way more than software for either of the other platforms. (810.35m for wii, 546.2m for xbox 360).

looks like people did want s**tty motion controls for most games :wink:

I think you are mistaking attach rates in relation to overall software sales, and I think in general the software sales volume is higher on the Xbox 360, making the 360 the more profitable platform for publishers this generation.
bazzatuk 58

Postby Astrosmasher » 20 Jun 2012, 11:17

rhyfel wrote:i am not surprised john carmack isn't excited by the next-gen, he couldn't make a decent game this gen.

you beat me to the punch ... this is exactly what i was going to say
Astrosmasher 29

Xbox Live: Darklord1899

Next