to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Violence overkill: Five games that should tone down the gore

Your comments on our articles.

CVG highlights promising games that risk drowning in their own blood

Though the discussion of violence in games is usually triggered by some misinformed attack by the national press, recently there has been a far more measured debate over the gore-fest of titles on display at E3.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Violence overkill: Five games that should tone down the gore

Postby fatherofthenoo » 16 Jun 2012, 13:52

That was a good read. I agree with it too. Not so much about Tomb Raider mind. It's use of violence appears to remind us that being hurt does look uncomfortable to watch. Pain is something that is missing from almost every game. The only other place I remember it is when "Snake" snaps his dislocated arm back into place. Ouch! Made me wince. Anyway, this is why I am looking forward to Tomb Raider, which is rare these days (me looking forward to a game).

The violence in Beyond and Watch Dogs does seem very out of place, so I hope the scenes in question were a rare moment in what could potentially be a couple of intelligent mature games (another rarity).

God of War does need to bring back some sort of context too, and MGSR is just silly. Skyward Sword showed us how clever use of precision slashes can be used, but MGSR just seem to want to use the feature to intensify the violence. However, I have not played MGSR so I will hold off my final judgement.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Violence overkill: Five games that should tone down the

Postby ilovenewtech » 16 Jun 2012, 14:05

Hi super awesome fellow forum posters how are you today. My stance is this. These are adult themed games for an adult audience. If that's what adults want then who is anyone to say what I/you can/cant play/watch. So I say more violence, more adult themes but tighten up the regulations for under age youths purchasing the games, shops selling to under age youths and some sort of repercussion for parents/guardians who allow under age to play adult/mature themes!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Say NO to censorship and YES to personal responsibility!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome cake for everybody yeah!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Postby MagicBoughie24 » 16 Jun 2012, 14:42

fatherofthenoo wrote:The only other place I remember it is when "Snake" snaps his dislocated arm back into place. Ouch! Made me wince.

I can still hear the crunch :shock:
MagicBoughie24 46

Postby Stryker89 » 16 Jun 2012, 14:45

It's true that there really doesn't need to be tonnes of blood on display for a game to appear 'mature'. God of War is just ridiculous at times... Dark Souls is one of the most mature games around, but the extent of the blood in that game is a short spray when you successfully counter an enemy. Even the Hitman franchise, with countless ways to kill your targets, doesn't actually show that much blood.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby billysastard » 16 Jun 2012, 15:31

ilovenewtech wrote:Hi super awesome fellow forum posters how are you today. My stance is this. These are adult themed games for an adult audience. If that's what adults want then who is anyone to say what I/you can/cant play/watch. So I say more violence, more adult themes but tighten up the regulations for under age youths purchasing the games, shops selling to under age youths and some sort of repercussion for parents/guardians who allow under age to play adult/mature themes!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome cake for everybody yeah!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

i find nothing to disagree with in your argument

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby sh4dow83 » 16 Jun 2012, 15:38

I seriously hope some other websites will report on "CVG on an anti-violence crusade?" :roll:

Suffice it to say I wouldn't agree with toning down any gore most of the time.
A major reason why I don't like Diablo III is how mild it appears compared at least to the first one.

And I am by the way saying this as somebody who has not once shot an enemy in Mirror's Edge. I've played through that twice and am planning on a third time soon. Which is why I only kind of agree with Watch Dogs - I think gunning your way through should be a possibility but it sure would be nice if it was constructed in a way that one never has to fire a shot and if there were benefits to not using weapons... unlockables, different story paths, etc.
Last edited by sh4dow83 on 16 Jun 2012, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
sh4dow83 44

Postby dicky1993 » 16 Jun 2012, 15:40

silly cvg telling games we know not much about to tone down
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby Sleepaphobic » 16 Jun 2012, 16:18

Uhhhh no.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby JOHNKARA » 16 Jun 2012, 16:24

CVG, this is a completely pointless article. How can you even suggest that Watch Dogs and Beyond need to tone down on the violence when all we have seen from these games are snippets at E3? I agree with GOW, as this franchise has been milking the theme of wanton violence ad nauseum. But to even throw WD and Beyond into the same bucket is a really poor comparison. You should know better than this......
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 47

Postby Imaduck » 16 Jun 2012, 16:27

Great article. Agreed on all counts. It's not a mtter of "ohh it's too violent for kids" it's more than they're just needlessly sadistic and damage their own purpose eventually. They dilute the effect of moments where true gore is required too. You're so used to it, that it means nothing.

Beyond stands out as the strongest case of shooting itself in the foot from what I saw. Looked incredible ... until she murdered a few dozen people and blew up half the world, then I couldn't work out what made her life worth more than the police doing their job, I also lost all sympathy for her, she does need taken out.
Imaduck 58

Postby Cinaclov » 16 Jun 2012, 16:28

I'm not so sure about Tomb Raider, but Watch Dogs is an absolute yes. It seems like so much more of a great idea without shoehorning shooting elements in. I think it might've been purely for marketing reasons, it probably seems like more of an easy sell with guns included (unfortunately). Here's hoping it's only limited to a few moments through the game.
Cinaclov 63

Postby TheRandyNinja » 16 Jun 2012, 16:33

so i read the first page and totally agreed to much killing for the sake of killing is pointless... but then i carried on reading and the artical just went to pieces. Watchdog looks amazing how boring would it be if it was just a game about hacking, an open world game where you could only hack a phone and some traffic lights YAWN. i like the gritty feel and look of the new tomb raider and showing a woman prevail in the mist of such a huge physical and mental struggle sounds intresting. if your scared of a little blood i think you should stick to playing flower on the ps3 too much sencorship destroys movies and games and is a creative bloock. the only reason i didnt go to the cinema to watch hunger games because the cut out all the violence from the books to apeal to children.... if its for adults lets the adults enjoy it dont water it down and treat us all like children.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby corkscru74 » 16 Jun 2012, 16:35

ilovenewtech wrote:Hi super awesome fellow forum posters how are you today. My stance is this. These are adult themed games for an adult audience. If that's what adults want then who is anyone to say what I/you can/cant play/watch.

Unfortunately, the real world teaches us that just because you're an adult doesn't necessarily mean you're mature.

While there have never been any studies that conclusively prove videogame violence is bad for you there is such a thing as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, something commonly suffered by Army Vets and also civilians who have experienced something truly traumatising. Sufferers of PTSD find it hard to function again in normal society, some even lashing out violently.

PTSD can affect anyone, regardless of cognitive ability. Therefore, it would be possible to imagine someone with a less mature, less capable brain being affected by something lower down on the trauma scales - such as an excessively violent videogame / movie / Turner Seascape.

Perhaps we'll only know how violent media affects our society once the walls have crumbled and we're eating each other's flesh for sustainance.
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby Imaduck » 16 Jun 2012, 16:37

It's not about censoring them, it's about using gore and violence effectively, thoughtfully and appropriately.
Imaduck 58

Postby Gash Gardner » 16 Jun 2012, 16:44

Um CVG do you know the definition of gore? guns don't equal gore so you can wipe watch dogs and beyond off of that list and the gore in tomb raider is to help build the protection thing they want you too feel and god of war wouldn't be god of war without ripping deer man heads off, and in a recent preview you stated that chopping everything up in metal gear revengeance was ridiculously fun! So make your mind up
Gash Gardner 46

Next