Exclusive: A Frank chat with EA's Gibeau

Your comments on our articles.

The publisher's Labels president looks to the future...

Electronic Arts Labels boss Frank Gibeau has command over some of the most lucrative and popular games franchises in the world.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Exclusive: A Frank chat with EA's Gibeau

Postby plightstar » 15 Jun 2012, 11:09

Nice, though next time you guys speak to EA, push them to bring back the Road Rash series. Carmageddon is being brought back through a kickstarter project. All we need now is an up to date Road Rash with the classic Bikes and soundtrack.
plightstar 34

Xbox Live: PLIGHTSTAR1
Steam: plightstar

Re: Exclusive: A Frank chat with EA's Gibeau

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 15 Jun 2012, 12:03

Well that confirmed my fears about the next Dead Space. The fans didn't want multiplayer. At all. that was the point we were trying to make.

Saying that going to see a horror film with friends is better than watching it alone just shows they have lost the plot. the two are just not comparable. The experiences vary wildly. Isolation is what drives horror in videogames, as soon as you give someone a buddy you empower them too much. you figure out ways very quickly to work together to kill and overcome anything.

Dead space - the isolation - being in space = potentially the worst game in the series.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby rivariad » 15 Jun 2012, 12:31

why dont i hear anything related to Nba Live 13 ?
rivariad 46

Postby RoOhDiNi » 15 Jun 2012, 13:05

Who ever that guy with the coop idea was should get fired.

Yeah, it's fun to go see a horror movie together with friends, as you can look at your friends scared face and make fun of them (but you ain't even get to see your friends face over the internet),
but ultimately it is less scary.
But all this doesn't matter anyway, since passively watching a movie is nothing like actively playing a game.
You lose the sense of isolation. You don't feel responsible for what is about to happen as you'll be able to blame your friend, thus the scares won't get to you in the same way they'd get to you in singleplayer.

Instead of taking a look at moviegoers, they should have looked at what really makes a scary situation to be in.
It is always when the "group" splits that tension builds up - isolation is key.
Last edited by RoOhDiNi on 15 Jun 2012, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 15 Jun 2012, 13:07

Agree totally with the first two posts, Dead Space will loose too much of it's draw with MP and Road Rash NEEDS to be redeveloped for this gen!

Also CVG a frank chat would go more like this; 'So EA why do you think most gamers think you are cu**s?

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 15 Jun 2012, 13:13

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Agree totally with the first two posts, Dead Space will loose too much of it's draw with MP and Road Rash NEEDS to be redeveloped for this gen!

Also CVG a frank chat would go more like this; 'So EA why do you think most gamers think you are cu**s?

Agreed it felt more like advertising, than a frank chat and honest talk.

It was mindless pluggnig of what they've got coming out and all it did was confirm that EA still treat there devs like crap and care more about a metacritic score and sales than actually making something of note or interest. Case in point how he distanced himself from the run and outright mocked Harmonix despite Rock Band being incredibly successful.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 15 Jun 2012, 13:21

For me EA has become far too reactionary. I'm not the type who berates sequels (I love COD for my sins) but EA seem to just offer an experience which is largely drawn from the ideas and work of other publishers or developers ultimatley lacking an ability to get hold of a IP and really develop and support it, unless it is by way of ridiculous advertising budgets or trolling the competition.

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby richomack360 » 15 Jun 2012, 13:30

CVG - you ask us how to improve this site. Simple. Stop articles like this, it was a blatant product plugging shambles, it wasn't an honest chat as he didn't really mention apart from what we know
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby billysastard » 15 Jun 2012, 21:08

ea sports, its in the dlc.

online with everything not because its wanted but so they can make a pathetic single player game and rely on their customers to provide the entertainment, better yet (for ea) they can then lock massive chunks of the game behind a paywall and even better (for ea of course) they can sell additional multiplayer maps which cost little to make compared to a proper expansion pack.

i read the article expecting at least some "frank discussion" like maybe "congratulations on winning the worst company in america award, why do you think you are so hated by your customers?" but no, all we get is an advert for ea's upcoming crippleware.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon