to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Miyamoto: Modern games take too long to start being fun

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo looking to its old games for inspiration

Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto says that Nintendo is holding internal discussions to figure out how it can make modern games more instantly rewarding - like it's old classics.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Miyamoto: Modern games take too long to start being fun

Postby Drusus » 14 Jun 2012, 20:26

That's a very good point. I remember thinking very highly of Saints Row the Third not because it was super special but because I felt like a super hero from the start and was having fun straight away. Similarly I loved the Uncharted 2 start for it's epic oh my god I'm going to die feeling.
Drusus 58

Re: Miyamoto: Modern games take too long to start being fun

Postby Balladeer » 14 Jun 2012, 20:32

Every word this man speaks is gold. Or possibly not gold, but just obvious things that no one else seems to notice. I'm fed up with tutorials and training levels. Give us a sword, put us in a world, certainly have some hint signs but no compulsory flipping tutorials (or if there are make them fun and potentially lethal). That's one of my major banes with gaming. I want to feel like a hero, damn it!
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby mkwuk » 14 Jun 2012, 20:42

What's ironic is that Nintendo themselves have always been the masters of incorporating tutorials seemlessly into the gameplay - almost all of Zelda's dungeons act as training grounds for new equipment you find along the way.

I only wish Ninty would free Shigsy from some of his responsibilities so he can concentrate on one or two major projects and possibly some new IP.
mkwuk 44

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 14 Jun 2012, 20:42

Games that ease you into the world with a tutorial that you don't even notice is perfect, why would we need to take that away? I don't want to see games becoming dumbed down with just a jump button.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Agent75 » 14 Jun 2012, 21:00

The modern Nintendo seem to be obsessed with console controllers. They've totally milked Mario over the years, plus they just seem to knock out Zelda etc. They've now jumped on the remake bandwagon, but I must admit that I'd like to see Wave Race 64 on the 3DS. The big guns at Nintendo sit back and talk about this and that, yet they never seem to release anything that has the wow factor. They've had something like 5 years to organise the Wii U launch, but there's nothing on it that says wow. Nintendo just lives in it's own world. The Wii was a generation behind the PS3 and Xbox 360, the Wii U will catch up, but then next gen will come along (PS4 and Xbox 720), so once again, Nintendo will be a generation behind. It releases very little games for it's consoles, most of which are sequels or remakes. But I'll admit that I'm looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, the next Mario Kart and the next Mario Galaxy. But let's be honest, Nintendo fans are expected a lot better from Nintendo.
Agent75 48

Postby fatherofthenoo » 14 Jun 2012, 21:25

Agent75 makes a good point, they do seem to repeat themselves, but it must be hard on Nintendo. Fans are screaming "make something new" but at the same time they say "keep that classic feel". Wtf are they supposed to do? Anyway, to the topic. That instant fun feeling is something from a different time. Gaming was new and exciting. Games were few and far between so we made the most of each one and loved them. Games now are kind of throw away. Complete, next one, complete, next one. And creativity seems to be kind of exhausted too. Not just in games but all entertainment media. Doesn't everything feel like the same model but with a different coat of paint? I think what Nintendo wants to do is try and bring back that feeling we used to get from gaming, but I don't envy them because I sure as hell can't think of a way to do it.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Cinaclov » 14 Jun 2012, 22:04

Nintendo is looking to its past for inspiration. That's new.

Oh, wait...

I mean Nintendo are a fantastic company, my favourite games tend to come from them, but this feels abit like non-news to me. The last new IP was Pikmin wasn't it (unless you count Miis), which sort of demonstrates the point.

And on a different note, they state Zelda as being an example of a complex game, and how they were looking at ALTTP as an example of how to 'un-complicate' the series... but based on the definition of complex provided I'd say that every Zelda from the original onwards is. I can see their point using Mario, the original has no tutorial or anything yet everyone knows how to play it, that's a great goal to go back to and aim for, but I'm not convinced Zelda is the franchise they need to try and force in that direction. Or maybe it is and I'm entirely missing it. There's a good chance that whatever they come up with will be fun so... yeah :P [/ramblingpost]
Cinaclov 63

Postby stealth » 14 Jun 2012, 22:47

thats fantastic

i definitly see alot of mario world in mario U

i mean the 1 giant world map, yoshi babies, the backgrounds are ripped form the game
stealth 47

Postby dr_akiman » 14 Jun 2012, 23:16

This was exactly my problem with Skyward Sword. Took an age to get into, and I felt my hand was being held all the way through, breaking up the gameplay needlessly.

I understand the need for tutorials when there are so many controls, but I think there should be an option to skip it all and just learn the old-school way of trial-and-error mashing buttons.

And a separate point: voice-acting instead of text would also help immerse gamers in the world and speed things up...
dr_akiman 5
New user

Postby stealth » 14 Jun 2012, 23:30

every company should think about this
stealth 47

Postby thelazyone » 15 Jun 2012, 00:40

fatherofthenoo wrote:Agent75 makes a good point, they do seem to repeat themselves, but it must be hard on Nintendo. Fans are screaming "make something new" but at the same time they say "keep that classic feel". Wtf are they supposed to do? Anyway, to the topic. That instant fun feeling is something from a different time. Gaming was new and exciting. Games were few and far between so we made the most of each one and loved them. Games now are kind of throw away. Complete, next one, complete, next one. And creativity seems to be kind of exhausted too. Not just in games but all entertainment media. Doesn't everything feel like the same model but with a different coat of paint? I think what Nintendo wants to do is try and bring back that feeling we used to get from gaming, but I don't envy them because I sure as hell can't think of a way to do it.

I agree with the modern side of the gaming, so many games are being released that they are all beginning to merge into this sloppy regurgitated slosh. I don't see any innovations anymore, one of the reasons why I'm always excited to see Nintendo's potential products is because they try something new. At least they try but their focus is always centred around being fun and not some all singing dancing multimedia smart box thingy.

There's a lot of people that forget that games should be ultimately fun and not this online competitive serious experience that pretty much floods the market today. Gamer's have changed and I'm sad to say that I'm not amazed by it like I was in the 90's.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby TheLastDodo » 15 Jun 2012, 00:54

Have to disagree with Miyamoto.

Most modern games I've played start off good then lose their steam about half way through then become a chore to finish.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby SpandexArmstrong » 15 Jun 2012, 03:51

Do modern games even need tutorials anymore? All games play nearly the same anyway: hold this to aim, hold this to shoot, cover, melee, or press this to let the game play itself....
I hate on-screen prompts, such as press X to reload, hold R2 to climb etc. once or twice is ok, but when youre being told through the entire game it sucks ass.
And regenerating health has to go. In Halo it makes sense, any other game it just cheapens the experience. Its like playing in cheat mode!
SpandexArmstrong 45

PSN ID: Me0wgRavY

Postby Padua » 15 Jun 2012, 07:59

Is this not the difference between a core gamer and a casual gamer - realisation of when something is fun?

A core gamer wants a challenge and appreciates the reward from investing their time in the game (e.g SKYRIM) to the extent if they feel they are short changed by absurdities the s**t hits the fan (e.g. Mass Effect 3)

The casual gamer just wants to pass some minutes whilst they take a crap or waiting for something. :|
I am both type of gamer myself and both have their virtues.

I think boring games take too long to start being fun. Games are great at every age - past or present.
Still remember the warm fuzziness when I first saw Bat N Ball on a Grandstand system in Dixons :lol:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby JuiKuen » 15 Jun 2012, 10:23

Well, what do you expect? The world is full of clueless people and hence they all need their hand holding. I mean, WTF:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/901988-a-th ... from-a-pig
JuiKuen 49

Next