to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Zelda Wii U still in R&D phase - Miyamoto

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo looking for the right way to "bring Zelda to a very big audience"

Zelda was used to showcase Wii U's graphical capabilities when the console was unveiled at E3 2011, but it appears that the franchise's debut on Nintendo's new console may be a way off.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Zelda Wii U still in R&D phase - Miyamoto

Postby lordirongut » 08 Jun 2012, 12:28

To be honest if they make something even half as good looking as that tech demo then I'll buy a Wii U instantly. Although I want something a bit more varied and open than Skyward Sword, as well.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: Zelda Wii U still in R&D phase - Miyamoto

Postby toaplan » 08 Jun 2012, 13:03

"Nintendo still seeking to identify the best way to "bring Zelda to a very big audience".

I'd start thinking about going multiplatform... at least as a back-up plan, in case the WiiU doesn't take off.
toaplan 73

Postby Cogglesz » 08 Jun 2012, 13:48

Can't really go wrong with Zelda, kinda worried though, theres many reasons i love playing zelda and the cryptic challenge is one of them, i'd freak if it went total casual on us, i also want it to be a dark game, windwakers my favourite zelda game if i'm honest but i've seen and played too much of the bright happy link, that dark link hasn't really been around since the N64 days and since we've got some hd on the go they really should just go dark with it, optional motion controls too, i'm not a fan of waving my arm around for many hours, its lovley for the first hour or two but it does get tiring.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby Stryker89 » 08 Jun 2012, 14:07

lordirongut wrote:To be honest if they make something even half as good looking as that tech demo then I'll buy a Wii U instantly. Although I want something a bit more varied and open than Skyward Sword, as well.

I disagree. If they bring out something with worse graphics than the tech demo,I'll be disappointed. That was the Zelda everyone wants- gorgeous graphics, huge bosses. Granted people were initially disappointed with Wind Waker and look how that turned out, but with a new HD console, Nintendo should really aim to push the graphics in the new Zelda game.
I agree about Skyward Sword though- that's personally my least favourite Zelda game because of how limited it felt in comparison to say, Twilight Princess.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby Gash Gardner » 08 Jun 2012, 14:28

Really hope they don't dumb it down just so my nan can play it
Gash Gardner 45

Postby matty2000uk » 08 Jun 2012, 14:35

I'd say Zelda Wii U is still 2 years away at least. Prob not worth worrying about yet. I was more disappointed there was no Zelda 3ds.
matty2000uk 45

Postby cglev » 08 Jun 2012, 14:42

If people didn't like the motion control side of things, surely they should just go back to GameCube or n64 style controls. Ocarina and wind waker controls were excellent.
cglev 16

Postby timtimity » 08 Jun 2012, 14:49

Using Zelda for the Wii U tech demo may have been a mistake for Nintendo. I get why they used Link, but they've now set the expectations for the Zelda game. Anything less than what we've seen will be disappointing.

Obviously, graphics aren't everything and I'm sure whatever Nintendo produce will be great to play, but initial impressions count too.
timtimity 29

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 08 Jun 2012, 15:08

"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren't able to do that or didn't like it as much and stopped playing partway through it," Miyamoto added.

Those people wwere utter fools. Skyward sword is possibly my favourite game of this gen and my new favourite zelda. It was spot on in every respect.

It's just a shame that it didn't come ou at the beginnng of the wiis life rather than its end. Things might be very different if it did.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby shadowsblaze » 08 Jun 2012, 18:33

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren't able to do that or didn't like it as much and stopped playing partway through it," Miyamoto added.

Those people wwere utter fools. Skyward sword is possibly my favourite game of this gen and my new favourite zelda. It was spot on in every respect.

It's just a shame that it didn't come ou at the beginnng of the wiis life rather than its end. Things might be very different if it did.

It was hardly spot on. The shield bash move only worked half the time (checked this with several controllers in case one of them was faulty - they all suffered the same problem). Bowling the bomb often changed to a skyward slash instead. Unlike previous Zelda games where all the areas felt interconnected, Skyward Sword's were totally the opposite. The 'zones' themselves felt completely lifeless and to top it off there were very few hidden areas or secrets to find. Compared to the other Zelda games this felt completely boring.

If they really want to shake the series up, get rid of Link, the Master Sword and all the usual weapons and have Zelda herself as the character you play. Instead of a sword, give her a staff. Instead of using bombs or hookshots, get her to use magical skills based on the elements. Turn the whole thing around. The series is Legend of Zelda, it's time it actually meant something.
shadowsblaze 55

Postby lordirongut » 08 Jun 2012, 19:04

Skyward for me had three main flaws that I think they need to address in Zelda on the Wii U:

1: Skyloft was empty - The 'hub world' - whether it's an ocean, a field or whatever, needs to lead to interesting things and have things in it.

2: The 'three areas' were limited and repetitive - Twilight and the other Zeldas have thrived on visual variety and have rarely felt repetitive - in Skyward you were in Eldin, Faron and Lanayru for the entire game and often had to tread on already-trodden land. The next Zelda needs some more variety.

3: The sword controls lacked refinement - Probably a criticism of the Wiimote than Skyward itself, I often found myself making input errors without meaning to. I'd at least like the option of traditional controls on the next Zelda, or some kind Wiimote + Plus.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Dragovian » 08 Jun 2012, 19:20

Stryker89 wrote:I disagree. If they bring out something with worse graphics than the tech demo,I'll be disappointed. That was the Zelda everyone wants- gorgeous graphics, huge bosses. Granted people were initially disappointed with Wind Waker and look how that turned out, but with a new HD console, Nintendo should really aim to push the graphics in the new Zelda game.
I agree about Skyward Sword though- that's personally my least favourite Zelda game because of how limited it felt in comparison to say, Twilight Princess.

Well said. I don't understand how they've got staff at Nintendo with enough instinct and passion to create something as good as the Zelda HD demo, then the higher-ups seem to sit around trying to reinvent the wheel every time, wasting years and years. I know it takes a long time to make a game, but maybe they're overthinking it?

My favourite Zeldas are Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, by the way, so I'm not biased towards any one style, but there's no denying it: that demo worked. Everything was just right about it.

Would it be so bad if they just got a straightforward Zelda game out there? Awesome graphics, perfect controls (Wind Waker is best - dual analogue + L and R, shield control etc), a decent overworld to explore, bosses, dungeons and a few sidequests? The ones they spend longest on don't seem to be any the better for it. Twilight Princess was good but Skyward Sword was so wrong, to my mind.
Dragovian 34

Postby Balladeer » 09 Jun 2012, 12:12

Nintendo still seeking to identify the best way to "bring Zelda to a very big audience".

OH f**k OFF.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby stealth » 09 Jun 2012, 12:17

i cant wait to see the 3ds one
stealth 47