to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Molyneux: Monitoring two Wii U screens can be 'demanding and

Your comments on our articles.

A Microsoft exec also thinks the GamePad could be a problem for twitch-based games

Lionhead founder Peter Molyneux believes the need to juggle two screens when playing Wii U games might prove too demanding for some players.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby TheLastDodo » 08 Jun 2012, 10:33

Glad I'm not the only one that feels like this about flicking between two screens.

Not to mention it could be an immersion breaker in the right game.
TheLastDodo 77

Re: Molyneux: Monitoring two Wii U screens can be 'demanding

Postby Paul_27 » 08 Jun 2012, 10:36

heres an idea, you can choose both or just the wii u tablet or even better use the pro controller :lol:
Paul_27 29

PSN ID: x_vodka_paul_x

Postby Sentinator » 08 Jun 2012, 10:38

Microsoft doing damage control because Nintendo has Mass Effect now. Microsoft was unsure about Wii when that came out. I remember Greenberg saying it's selling as a toy. Look where we are now. The Wii U controller was built for gaming experiences and if developers who have been working on the system say it works.... it works.
Sentinator 38

Postby MrPirtniw » 08 Jun 2012, 10:40

I can see it working really, really well as the motion tracker in Aliens, though!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby JuiKuen » 08 Jun 2012, 10:47

Yes, because SmartGlass is certainly the right way to go :roll: And who would really care for what Molyneux has to say??
JuiKuen 49

Postby SpandexArmstrong » 08 Jun 2012, 10:48

Smartglass anyone?
SpandexArmstrong 45

PSN ID: Me0wgRavY

Postby TheRandyNinja » 08 Jun 2012, 10:48

TheLastDodo wrote:Glad I'm not the only one that feels like this about flicking between two screens.

Not to mention it could be an immersion breaker in the right game.

i had the same thought when im gaming im glued to my tv i dont even think i blink half the time why would i want to look at another screen every few seconds it breaks the immersion of the game. iv seen this before we all know how destracting it is looking at a text or your phone whilst gaming, one screen is enough for me its hard enough to keep track of one let alone two.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby TheRandyNinja » 08 Jun 2012, 10:51

Sentinator wrote:Microsoft doing damage control because Nintendo has Mass Effect now. Microsoft was unsure about Wii when that came out. I remember Greenberg saying it's selling as a toy. Look where we are now. The Wii U controller was built for gaming experiences and if developers who have been working on the system say it works.... it works.

didnt we hear the same thing about the kinect and look how that turned out. working in theory and actually working practically are two diffrent things. i would love to see people play cod with 2 screens, take your eyes off the tv for a minute and your dead .....
TheRandyNinja 53

Postby ingy » 08 Jun 2012, 10:52

I need specs for reading etc, and the thought of having to focus on the tv and constantly adjust to a small screen up close will be an headache induced nightmare.

It you need specs, this is going to be a problem for a great many people.
ingy 64

Postby alan666 » 08 Jun 2012, 10:56

More like to demanding for you 'Molyneux' to develop & program a game that works without it being so buggy it cannot be played.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby SuperCinos » 08 Jun 2012, 10:59

ingy wrote:I need specs for reading etc, and the thought of having to focus on the tv and constantly adjust to a small screen up close will be an headache induced nightmare.

Well I suppose those people should use the pro controller then.
SuperCinos 53

Postby Sentinator » 08 Jun 2012, 11:00

TheRandyNinja wrote:didnt we hear the same thing about the kinect and look how that turned out. working in theory and actually working practically are two diffrent things. i would love to see people play cod with 2 screens, take your eyes off the tv for a minute and your dead .....

Its straw grasping. Its like saying this for Vita "I have to take my hand off the control pad and risk being shot to pick up my stylus and change a gun or use the touch pad to throw a grenade". People don't get bugged by stuff like that.
Sentinator 38

Postby ingy » 08 Jun 2012, 11:08

Sentinator wrote:
TheRandyNinja wrote:didnt we hear the same thing about the kinect and look how that turned out. working in theory and actually working practically are two diffrent things. i would love to see people play cod with 2 screens, take your eyes off the tv for a minute and your dead .....

Its straw grasping. Its like saying this for Vita "I have to take my hand off the control pad and risk being shot to pick up my stylus and change a gun or use the touch pad to throw a grenade". People don't get bugged by stuff like that.

The worries are valid, you're having to look away from the screen to carry out things you would normally do without a second thought, a good controller is one that you forget you're holding, now imagine having to look down at a normal pad every few moments to check what button does what, a few people might be exaggerating a little, but the concerns are real.
ingy 64

Postby TheRandyNinja » 08 Jun 2012, 11:11

SuperCinos wrote:
ingy wrote:I need specs for reading etc, and the thought of having to focus on the tv and constantly adjust to a small screen up close will be an headache induced nightmare.

Well I suppose those people should use the pro controller then.

but i thought the whole selling point was the fancy controller. if your sticking to the xbox like controller then wouldnt you be better off sticking to xbox for a year. apart from the flashy touch pad and them little 90's mii's what does this console actually offer. who would actually pay £250 for a console that will be vastly out done in a years time there whole selling point is that controller without it its just wii hd.
TheRandyNinja 53

Postby cult » 08 Jun 2012, 11:13

There is nothing actually wrong with a screen input system for gaming, inventories, radar, overhead view etc.
The problem is the percieved moving of the main gameplay from a large screen to your lap or large screen obscuring mini tv.
Who wants to look at the tv through another tv?

Its a gimmick that if it works can be brought to microsoft with smartglass and sony with vita integration. If it doesnt work nintendo will have a useless feature built in, the others will make it optional.

Only the games will convince me it works.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Next