to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Did Uncharted 2 win E3 2012?

Your comments on our articles.

Nathan Drake's exceptional ability to hang off rickety things has inspired a generation.

Game developers play a lot of games. In 2009 a fair few of them played Uncharted 2, and decided that they quite liked it. The formula of grunts, groans, spliced action with cut-scenes, mega-set pieces and ducking behind furniture really tickled them. Likewise, that bit when Drake climbed up the dangling train? That was just... awesome.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Did Uncharted 2 win E3 2012?

Postby YouStoleMyKill » 07 Jun 2012, 18:07

Best game iv played yet and this article is spot on.
YouStoleMyKill 37

PSN ID: Connor_mufc_1985

Re: Did Uncharted 2 win E3 2012?

Postby flash501 » 07 Jun 2012, 18:21

The problem now though is that it's being overdone. The big dramatic set pieces lose their impact when we see them in every second game we play.
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Padua » 07 Jun 2012, 18:41

flash501 wrote:The problem now though is that it's being overdone. The big dramatic set pieces lose their impact when we see them in every second game we play.

I found that even with Uncharted 3. Some of it just felt rehashed - however gorgeous it looked.
I personally preferred the train scene in 2 over the plane scene in 3.

I particularly loved the "drugged-out" chase in Uncharted 3 - that was spectacular. It pays to be original!

So looking forward to the next Uncharted even though it will probably come out next-gen - but I can wait for such goodness :lol:
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby djreplay » 07 Jun 2012, 19:04

I couldn't help but think U2 when watching the Star Wars footage and a little during Tomb Raider.
djreplay 57

Xbox Live: u crazy fools
PSN ID: djreplay

Postby Imaduck » 07 Jun 2012, 19:14

I think this is a fair analysis in some ways. However, all ND really did was be first to properly include sort of "Indy" style sequences properly as nobody else seemed to have bothered yet (for some crazy reason). Came down to tech etc., being in the right place at the right time with the right team. I think overall it's a bit of a silly attitude though as everything is based on everything before. There'd be no UC without TR and there'd be no TR reboot without UC. Also noticed especially in stuff like one of those Luigi's Mansion things on "NIntendoland" I think it was, a sharp similarity to Pacman. The old roots are still there in the background.

Pong won E3 2012 judging by the amount of shooters :lol:
Imaduck 58

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 07 Jun 2012, 19:26

Good article raises a good point.

If you haven't played UC2, have a play of it tonight. UC2 was that massive leap in gaming this generation was screaming out for. I loved it and it hasn't aged a day. UC2 and UC3 are the only games I have bothered platinum trophy-ing, the gameplay just doesn't get boring.

I have high hopes for Tomb Raider, but my general dislike for anything Star Wars makes me think the new game in development will be unable to develop its own gameplay to be any better than UC2. But it does look very pretty. We'll see.
Bring back Super Skidmarks. Cow racing FTW.
Jimmy Luxury 48

Postby IplayVideogames » 07 Jun 2012, 20:10

Uncharted 2 is the best game of this generation so far, so no wonder everyone wants to borrow from it. Isn't necessarily a bad thing either if they end up anywhere near it's league.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Postby Godlike Ape » 07 Jun 2012, 20:18

I for one am glad of this. Every time I see anything to do with the Uncharted series, it reminds me how badly I need to buy a PS3.
Godlike Ape 42

Postby TheBusterMan » 07 Jun 2012, 20:23

UC2 is a much better game than UC3.I guess they just couldn't top it.
TheBusterMan 47

Postby michaeljpitts83 » 07 Jun 2012, 20:26

No the gaming gen is not about coping each other,,,,, by the way when is someone going to make a FPS about modern or old wars that you can play against real people all day, so you dont have to make even a real game, ok maybe like a 1 hour real game then just online??? Anyone just one game like that please. lol. Serious though I hated that fad so bad and hope the paintball online is over! Thank God if it is. And I agree with others, no better game to follow out their then unscratched 2. 3 was iffy. But 2 was maybe the greatest game I have ever played this gen at least. Problem was it was easy to be that good in a gen that was more about downgrading to win then upgrading.
michaeljpitts83 4

Postby Budly Moore » 07 Jun 2012, 21:23

I played the whole of UC3 in 3d and loved every second of it, but, have to say, most of the foundation was layed down by UC1 and Tombraider before it.
[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/mogwha][img]http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/544/mogwha.png[/img][/url]
Budly Moore 49

Postby michaeljpitts83 » 07 Jun 2012, 21:40

Budly Moore wrote:I played the whole of UC3 in 3d and loved every second of it, but, have to say, most of the foundation was layed down by UC1 and Tombraider before it.

Im telling you Uncharted 2 is the best one by far. 3 was ok, but it lacked compared to 2. And I think the reason why was they had to get to "THE LAST OF US." So their was some early jumping off their to get on the next great thing. Now on its own 3 is a great game compared to your average 3rd party BS out their. But compared to Uncharted 2, its just does not even come close. "got to play 2." Uncharted 1 and 3 are so far from it. But to play Uncharted 2. You have to know the story of Uncharted 1.
michaeljpitts83 4

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 08 Jun 2012, 04:52

michaeljpitts83 wrote:
Budly Moore wrote:I played the whole of UC3 in 3d and loved every second of it, but, have to say, most of the foundation was layed down by UC1 and Tombraider before it.

Im telling you Uncharted 2 is the best one by far. 3 was ok, but it lacked compared to 2. And I think the reason why was they had to get to "THE LAST OF US." So their was some early jumping off their to get on the next great thing. Now on its own 3 is a great game compared to your average 3rd party BS out their. But compared to Uncharted 2, its just does not even come close. "got to play 2." Uncharted 1 and 3 are so far from it. But to play Uncharted 2. You have to know the story of Uncharted 1.

It's called an "opinion". Many may enjoy one thing but it doesn't mean a fact.

I'm fine with games taking little things from other games but when everyone starts taking from the same one, that's when the idea ends up being milked to death a long with the original idea becoming less great than it first seemed. Uncharted to me is already stale after the (in my opinion) immensely disappointing and blandly told 3rd game and the inspiration that other developers are seemingly taking and putting into their own games will only make me yawn if imitation is their only approach.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Fr33Kye » 08 Jun 2012, 05:36

Seriously i was just saying this to a friend. Uncharted influenced so many games at e3 and i was afraid they wouldnt get recognition.

And it's not just explosions, it's the design, animation. It heavily influenced many different kinds of action games. Tomb raider takes uncharted's design to a conclusion i hoped uncharted would go, but they still attempt to achieve different things. Uncharted sticks with clean action with great design. Tomb raider takes it's level design farther and makes everything more violent and intense. Even an open world scifi game like watchdogs has learned from uncharted. Even a STAR WARS GAME has learned from uncharted! It's done so much!
Fr33Kye 70

Postby rena_man » 08 Jun 2012, 08:16

Star wars 1313's climbing and shooting looked so much like uncharted.
rena_man 14

PSN ID: Rena_man
Steam: rena_man

Next