to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo shares fall again

Your comments on our articles.

Lacklustre E3 performance turns more investors away

Nintendo's shares fell an additional 0.99% today in Japan, indicating the company's investors still haven't warmed to the Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Paul_27 » 07 Jun 2012, 11:55

thats because theres no price or hard drive except that it will take a external hard drive and not forgetting a release date

wont go above £350 for the wii u unless they do a bundle package
Paul_27 29

PSN ID: x_vodka_paul_x

Re: Nintendo shares fall again

Postby Frogster8 » 07 Jun 2012, 12:03

£350?! Insane. I won't be getting if its £100. Imagine how much your 2nd controller will cost for multiplayer? Too many controllers is an issue for me too now. Its hard to play a normal multiplayer if two mates are playing on a tablet, ones on a wiimote and the others on a pro controller. Not to mention that since I never really liked pikmin there's nothing there for me. If I want to dance I'll join a dance class and if I wanna stay fit I'll go outside... Failed comeback for Ninten-doh!
Frogster8 42

PSN ID: Hamster Davis

Postby Callous » 07 Jun 2012, 12:05

Well their stock fell after the 2010 conference as well,when they revelead the 3DS....and that was their best conference in years and widely regarded as the "winner" of E3.

Still..very bizarre E3 for Nintendo (and everyone bar Ubisoft) this year.

I mean no new 3DS games announced from Nintendo (and others previously announced like Animal Crossing,fire emblem and Brain training were missing)..and nothing really from 3rd parties either (other than Castlevania)...

..and only 1 new core game announced by Nintendo for the wii U, in the form of project P-100 (their best game...which they didn't even show at the conference). Very odd. If they're not going to use E3 to announce new games..then when and where are they?
Callous 8

Postby me4pd » 07 Jun 2012, 12:06

Well. You've picked out all the negatives but there are some positives. They've just been lost in an impenetrable labrynth of mis-management. We have to remember that E3 is for the industry not for us so the emphasis was always going to be on covering everything-including the huge-selling Just Dance 5s etc but of course that only means a lack of depth in certain other areas. I can only suppose a series of Directs and TGS will give us what we need. But a lack of a vision extending beyond the launch period is at the centre of the real reason behind any loss of confidence by investors.

EDIT to take account of above post: It was a TOTALLY bizzare E3. It seems like absoolutely everyone was holding back. Whilst we can expect that from the Cold War attitude between Sony and MS Nintendo have always just done their own thing. So why a change now? Is this a change of general strategy to match the other two? Let's hope not because we, and clearly investors, have hugely different expectations of Nintendo and we'd be losing a very distinctive force in the industry.
me4pd 48

Postby flyfletch » 07 Jun 2012, 12:12

Im glad their shares are falling, after that car crash of an E3 showing, they deserve it, maybe this will make them think out their so called strategy a bit more...
flyfletch 71

Postby SuperCinos » 07 Jun 2012, 12:16

Callous wrote:Well their stock fell after the 2010 conference as well,when they revelead the 3DS....and that was their best conference in years and widely regarded as the "winner" of E3.

Still..very bizarre E3 for Nintendo (and everyone bar Ubisoft) this year.

I mean no new 3DS games announced from Nintendo (and others previously announced like Animal Crossing,fire emblem and Brain training were missing)..and nothing really from 3rd parties either (other than Castlevania)...

..and only 1 new core game announced by Nintendo for the wii U, in the form of project P-100 (their best game...which they didn't even show at the conference). Very odd. If they're not going to use E3 to announce new games..then when and where are they?

The 3DS was talked about in a 1 hour conference the following day. They did mention this during the Nintendo conference. You can still watch the repeat on E3.Nintendo.com fyi.

I would also consider ZombieU a new core game. It's certainly one of the better games shown this E3.
Last edited by SuperCinos on 07 Jun 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
SuperCinos 53

Postby Paul_27 » 07 Jun 2012, 12:21

no nintendo showed a bit of everything in an hour time

if the console goes between £250 and £350 ill be happy as long as there are bundles with extras and a few games
Paul_27 29

PSN ID: x_vodka_paul_x

Postby wwinterj » 07 Jun 2012, 12:25

Paul_27 wrote:wont go above £350 for the wii u unless they do a bundle package

£350 what?! I could get a Xbox 360 and a PS3 for that price. :|
Personally I'm going to be reasonable and say I won't pay over £200 for the Wii U. Not only is there a lack of games announced for it at the moment but it's no different from current gen consoles. The gimmick tablet controller isn't a reason for me to pay over the odds. Don't get me wrong it's neat and all but it's not a must have for me.

I'll be honest I would have been happy if Nintendo just used the pro controller with there console as all I want from Nintendo is a good online and there games in HD. None of this expensive gimmick rubbish.
wwinterj 50

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby Gambini » 07 Jun 2012, 12:31

Nintendo have forgotten what they do best... "simple".

With the Wii, everyone just "got it", but with the Wii U (Most stupid name ever...) they haven't been able to define it.

Is it a next gen console? Well, kinda but not really...
Is it a Wii 2? Well, kinda, but not really...
Is it an enhancement to the Wii motion controls? Well, kinda, but not really...
Are there any new games, exclusive or otherwise, that demonstrate what the Wii U is? Well.... no, not really. Just some that use the tablet and some that use motion and some which are remakes of last years games... :roll:

It's a mess. What they should have done is simply brought out a vastly (technical) superior console to the PS3/360 and people would have lapped it up. None of this tablet controllers, motion nonsense... they did that with the Wii and they won.

Now was their time to show the world they can compete with the "hardcore" gamers too with the worlds first "next-gen" console.

But they didn't.
Last edited by Gambini on 07 Jun 2012, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby stealth » 07 Jun 2012, 12:32

who cares, both sony and microsoft started e3 with lowest stock levels since the 80s............

nobody cares
stealth 47

Postby Gambini » 07 Jun 2012, 12:35

stealth wrote:who cares, both sony and microsoft started e3 with lowest stock levels since the 80s............
nobody cares

The difference is that what Sony/MS do in the next 14-18 months can make a positive impact on those low stock prices (plus they still have their next console announcements to make)....

Nintendo has just made their biggest announcement of 2012 and their stock is going the other way...
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby Zabba 2 » 07 Jun 2012, 12:41

The problem for me was that 90% of their first party reveals/coverage were Mario games. Let's be honest, we don't tune into Nintendo's conferences primarily for the third-party titles, so to see mostly Mario was a huge disappointment. Why? Not necessarily because we don't like Mario games, but when Star Fox, F-Zero and Metroid haven't had an original release in years...and they know this...you have to ask yourself what they're playing at.
Zabba 2 65

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 07 Jun 2012, 12:42

stealth wrote:who cares, both sony and microsoft started e3 with lowest stock levels since the 80s............

nobody cares

You see that's funny because that is actually a big factor in what makes the commercial world go round, as for Ninty; you reap what you sow..... and it saddens me greatly.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby AJDarkstar » 07 Jun 2012, 12:43

Yeah, but most of those investors are idiots. Does anyone remember the story of the one who only bought shares because Kyoto was his birth place? He had no interest in games at all. Moronic.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby Lsnake » 07 Jun 2012, 12:44

"We have to show the benefits of the Wii U device from different angles in order to reach the mother, the father and the children."

I'm glad they remembered to mention the average, single grown up player, who's pretty much only had two choices so far, the PS3 or 360. Just to make it clear, I went out, bought a Wii, and after playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros and Twilight Princess, I packed it back in the box and stored it. I haven't touched my Wii for over a year.

Hey Nintendo, what about me? With that, I mean the guy who's alone, works all day, comes home at night and wants to dump down into the couch for a few hours to enjoy some real gaming? Well, seems like both Sony and Microsoft still remembers me.
Lsnake 46

Next