to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo shares drop following disappointing E3 press confer

Your comments on our articles.

Investors respond negatively to Wii U showing

Nintendo shares fell today in Japan in response to what's generally felt to have been a weak E3 press conference.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby snipeshotsamurai » 06 Jun 2012, 16:03

In other words the shareholders were p***ed off that they didn't reveal a price or release date for the Wii U just like everyone else
snipeshotsamurai 53

Re: Nintendo shares drop following disappointing E3 press co

Postby Imaduck » 06 Jun 2012, 16:10

I'm not surprised. To my mind, they had the entire show in their hand, and they basically dropped it, then stood on it. They had the only new console there. They barely showed any of it, they didn't tell us what it could do, what it cost, when it was out...... That's 2 E3's now and the Wii U has been terribly presented at each, we still know jack s**t about it really. They're displaying a base incompetance and inability to sell an idea when they basically barely even need to try! :|
Imaduck 58

Postby XypherCode » 06 Jun 2012, 16:11

Games! That's the only thing lacking in Nintendo's conference. They did their all in showing off the hardware...but...
Where are the games?! Where's the 1st party games like Metroid and F-Zero, or even a Kirby game?
It's great that a new Pikmin and Mario game is coming but that alone and the presented software line-up won't cut it. Where the hell is EA and Capcom's support? Well I can understand that they might not be ready to show any software for the platform, but still.
They had a grand full stage presentation to show off the platform but they didn't even reveal the "main" operating system UI, just Miiverse. No settings screen, etc. :(
We'll just have to wait in the coming months for another presentation from them just like they did before launching the 3DS. I just hope more games comes up.
XypherCode 24

Postby photoboy » 06 Jun 2012, 16:21

Yeah because the mother and the father will have tuned in to a live E3 webcast to hear what new games are coming out...

Get a grip Nintendo, it's not hard to launch a new Nintendo console, you've been doing it for over 20 years. Just show the new controller and run a bunch of trailers for the new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart and Smash Bros titles. If you're feeling really generous also throw a bone to the Wave Race, Pilotwings and Starfox fans too.

Nintendo-land and ports of Mass Effect 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 are not going to cut it.
photoboy 48

Postby me4pd » 06 Jun 2012, 16:43

I wrote a whole god damn essay before stupid 'yes-we use 234 TB of your RAM' cvg froze everything up.

If Nintendo was guilty of anything yesterday it was misunderstanding criticism of Wii U. Stop trying to exlpain the concept. Leave it. We aren't idiots, we just don't know what it looks like. Or rather, we got a good idea from 3rd parties but we got nothing from you. And that's really the point. 3rd party games will, for the most part, be inferior to Nintendo's own titles yet after yesterday I'm more interested in the 3rd party games than 1st party. On a Nintendo machine. I know everyone will moan' wah wah they're al1 0ld gamez wot we h4v seen bfore' etc etc but a) I haven't played them and b) the gamepad will make a difference because without it most of those games could have been played 10 years ago or more albeit with worse graffx and perhaps on smaller scales. The trick is to do them right. But how is that going to happen if Nintendo doesn't ram the machine and its games down our throat and show everyone how it's supposed to look instead of pussyfooting round the issue, terrified of upsetting us like some guardian-reading community-outreach-leader-eco-beacon?

Message to board of directors NCL: we all know something is going on in Kyoto: how can there not be new iterations of the games we're clamouring for and with all the money you made with wii how can you not be sweetening the deal for 3rd parties? So why are you hiding it all? You've had two opportunities to demonstrate a long-term vision for the games and just haven't bothered. The company seems to have been struck with lethargy or laziness. Yesterday just about covered the bases: casual crud, token 3rd party stuff and a few first party titles. But the depth left a lot to be desired and points out lack of confidence. I think we can be certain that that is unwarranted but that is just faith and I'm not a 'believer' I'm a scientist-I need evidence.

So get going.
me4pd 48

Postby SkarZ » 06 Jun 2012, 16:55

I think you guys summed it up perfectly. Nintendo just kicked thier own arse's, and misjudged the whole thing it wasnt as if miss Wii fit was gonna tune in to a GAMES conference was it lol.

Amazing and after all this time thier still as ignorant as ever.
SkarZ 7
New user

Postby RustySpoon80 » 06 Jun 2012, 17:11

This has got to be an E3 first. A company shows its new console and their shares drop.
It seemed like Nintendo spent more advertising their FB &Twitter websites than actually showing us why this system exists.
I think it will get confusing if you can use a wii-mote, the gamepad or a classic controller. Games are going to have to take advantage of 3 control systems.
The games that have been shown taking advantage of the gamepad just look like gimmicks (choosing dance moves...WTF!).
Will this be Nintendo's new Virtual Boy, only time will tell.
RustySpoon80 55

Postby flyfletch » 06 Jun 2012, 17:14

"The device has to win support from within the family. So we have to show the benefits of the Wii U device from different angles in order to reach the mother, the father and the children."

What a load of b*****ks!!!! So that was the reason for one of the worst E3 showings i have ever witnessed?? And it seems im not alone Nintendo, your f**king shareholders dont even trust you any longer!!! We have been telling Nintendo for years to either cut out the gimmicks or, cater for both the hardcore and the gimmick crowd...and what have they done? practically7 neither!! Although the gimmick crowd were slightly better catered for!

If Nintendo go down the tubes after this, and there is a real possibility of that if this really is all they have to show, then the blame lies firmly at their own feet, they showed a complete lack of of innovation and real fear of going out of their comfort zone and at last catering for the people who actually kept Nintendo going during the days of the SNES/Gamecube/N64...US,THE REAL GAMERS!!! not the grannies and grandas and other gimmick drawn individuals!

Right now im feeling a deep resentment towards Nintendo, but, they could still bring me back on board by doing the right thing!!!
flyfletch 71

Postby christophalus » 06 Jun 2012, 17:22

photoboy wrote:Yeah because the mother and the father will have tuned in to a live E3 webcast to hear what new games are coming out... .

EXACTLY. Yes Nintendo it's fair enough that you want mum's/grannies and great uncles to know about Wii U's features, but they're not watching E3!!!! :evil: Most of the population don't even know what e3 is! It's worrying how clueless and un-focussed ninty are being at the moment...such a mess
christophalus 23

Postby sh4dow83 » 06 Jun 2012, 18:04

I lol'd at the headline but when I read that it's just about 1.8%... come on... that might just as well be a market hiccup.
sh4dow83 43

Postby KesMonkey » 06 Jun 2012, 18:14

photoboy wrote:Yeah because the mother and the father will have tuned in to a live E3 webcast to hear what new games are coming out...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that from a teenager, but you're old enough to have a grandchild. The average age of gamers is now 37 years old, i.e. most gamers are old enough to be a parent.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby Barca Azul » 06 Jun 2012, 19:43

sh4dow83 wrote:I lol'd at the headline but when I read that it's just about 1.8%... come on... that might just as well be a market hiccup.

The Nikkeie 225 was up 1.81% though, and at opening they were -3%. Made some ground back later.

I still don't understand why they don't get professional public speakers for these events than CEO's. Clearly Reggie (Pete) is rubbish at it. Less corporate woodeness and more passion. Its not an investors release, its marketing FFS! Maybe an odd word from the big cheese in all cases with Reggie, not the whole show though!
Barca Azul 61

Postby Balladeer » 06 Jun 2012, 20:34

Let's face it: Shigsy is their guiding star. He knows what we want, and he makes it. What they'll do when he leaves I don't know.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby liveswired » 07 Jun 2012, 00:06

I'm not surprised - their conference was incredibly boring - not enough gameplay and too much talk - though the Wii U gamepad is ingenius!

But understandably with 5 months to launch Nintendo want to keep a tight lid on most of its features.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 51

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby Noobsaibot » 07 Jun 2012, 00:32

Imagine if this console saw the demise of Nintendo from the hardware market itself? If it does, at least SEGA went down swinging with months and months of high quality titles. Nintendo are on course for the equivalent a fat person falling down a stairs in slow motion and breaking their neck.

Don't think it cant happen - A "traditional games" audience that dislikes it + a "casual" market that don't know what to make of it = a world of trouble down the line. To be honest, I don't think Nintendo dropping out of the hardware race would be as tragic as people make it out to be. Nintendo still make great games (when they can be arsed) but they haven't really made a truly successful console for traditional gamers since the SNES when you think about it. Looks like they have saturated blue ocean with brown. :(

I don't care anyway - only two groups won e3 for me. Ubisoft and PC gamers who don't have to deal with all this dancing/smartphone connected/tv rubbish.
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 67

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Next