to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony says it's 'absolutely too soon for a Vita price cut'

Your comments on our articles.

Platform holder's "laser focus is to increase content" on the handheld

Sony has ruled out an imminent PS Vita price cut.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony says it's 'absolutely too soon for a Vita price cut'

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 06 Jun 2012, 15:08

From the value for money standpoint, we think we have a good price for what the system is.

As a Vita owner, I have to agree. A 199€ price tag would've been better to kickstart the Vita but the value is here nonetheless. Besides, a price cut before christmas is inevitable. However...

(...) our priority is to achieve the potential through more games and services.

Then why were there only a couple of games showcased during the conference? Enough with the free apps, time to bring out the big guns Sony. There's not a draught of actual releases (between Resistance, MK, Little Deviants, Motorstorm and Uncharted I have no immediate worry about my Vita collecting dust) but the lack of announcements for the next 12-18 months is weird to say the least. The 3DS at launch was way too expensive compared with its tech and had a poorer line-up, but at least there were many AAA games on the horizon.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: Sony says it's 'absolutely too soon for a Vita price cut

Postby Sentinator » 06 Jun 2012, 15:24

There is no chance this will sell 10 million by the end of March unless there is a price drop. Call of duty might pick up sales but it won't set it on fire like that.
Sentinator 38

Postby Data Ghost » 06 Jun 2012, 15:28

After E3 I'm putting my Vita on eBay on the very next free listing weekend.

I've been in two minds whether to keep it or not since I bought it as an impulse purchase. Sony don't seem to be backing it at all, no TV ads (that I've seen) etc. Its E3 showing was almost non-existent.

So I'm selling it now while its still worth something, I don't think there is a market for a handheld like the Vita anymore. Its crazy how many people still don't have a clue that it even exists. Its dead in the water despite a few decent titles on the way.
XBL: Data Ghost
PSN: DataGhost
Data Ghost 28

Postby TheLastDodo » 06 Jun 2012, 15:33

I like his gusto but I think he's wrong.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby dubplate240 » 06 Jun 2012, 15:52

absolutely too soon for a price cut

... has anyone told Zavvi? :D

I'm still loving my Vita but really needs a major push on software. AC3 and COD look amazing but only 2 standout titles until Christmas??? (Gravity Rush doesn't count as out next week)
dubplate240 54

Xbox Live: mattyb240
PSN ID: mattyb240

Postby Jon Ahmad » 06 Jun 2012, 15:56

I love the Vita but unfortunately I predict a disaster of epic proportions for Sony. It's a sexy piece of kit with amazing tech specs, sublime controls, some gorgeous tiles but...the issue is price. We're going to see a repeat of DS vs PSP solely based on the number of software available and price. The 3DS has now achieved a robust user base with some lovely looking games for all ages and genders. The Vita, while boasting monster specs has so far failed to gain a firm foothold in the market. The story in Japan is abysmal and I think it's a great shame if the Vita sounded the death knell for future hand helds from a company that once had an iron grip on the gaming market. I hope I'm wrong. :(
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 52

Postby Imaduck » 06 Jun 2012, 16:11

The thing is Mr Sony, you may NEED a price cut to protect the longevitiy of the product. If you'd had adequate game support from the start, this wouldn't even be a question.
Imaduck 58

Postby Agent75 » 06 Jun 2012, 16:19

It's on the cards that the Vita will scrape along at that price. Typical hard faced Sony will painfully make gamers wait for a price drop, but when it happens, it won't drop by much. No console can keep knocking out enough games, but I get the feeling that most Vita games will be cross format. All this talk about games such as Call of Duty and Monster Hunter won't make a lot of difference. Anything over £149 just isn't worth it, more so for a handheld.
Agent75 48

Postby shev » 06 Jun 2012, 16:56

dubplate240 wrote:I'm still loving my Vita but really needs a major push on software. AC3 and COD look amazing but only 2 standout titles until Christmas??? (Gravity Rush doesn't count as out next week)

I think you forgot Littlebigplanet(which has the potential to be every mobile game in one, plus some unique stuff) and Sound Shapes. There's also the FFX and MGS HD remake/collection and hopefully we'll see Soul Sacrifice and Ragnarok lost odyssey released this year. Sure, one could hope for more but I at least am content for now. I am a bit worried about next year's titles though. The only titles I can come up with right now which have been confirmed and are on my radar for next year are Bioshock and Warrior's Lair. Would really like to see a new MGS, GTA, KIngdom Hearts and Final Fantasy game (other than the upcoming psp game type-0). Oh and one must not forget the multiplat (psv/ps3) crossplay games such as Sony smash bros and sly cooper.
shev 46

Postby FASELI » 06 Jun 2012, 16:59

This is great news, I whole heartedly agree; a price cut is simply not needed. Maybe this is because I am currently considering selling mine before months end on a very well known auction site.
Hate never sleeps but it sure can hibernate.
FASELI 38

Postby liquidtmd » 06 Jun 2012, 17:07

It isn't looking good for Vita.

I haven't invested and have no interest, and funnily enough I do believe there's still a market for a dedicated handheld.

However:

- Price, being about £205 new from a few online sites in the UK with no games. That's about £35 more than a new 320GB PS3 and £50 more than an Ipod 8GB or a 3DS (and thats with a game). For a Vita and a couple of games at £25 at least a pop + £30 16GB memory card, I can start to look at low end but decent running Laptops from the right places.

- Games. Their E3 Vita spoke volumes who are have knowledge of the games industry and did nothing to inspire confidence they would add to awareness of those who don't.

At this point being candid, I'd be more inclined to snap up an old PSP with all the games from its back catalogue and it's community known emulation features (of all those Snes / Megadrive games I already own...obviously)
liquidtmd 10

Postby RandyChimp » 06 Jun 2012, 17:10

Can't disagree with the guy. You get what you pay for, it's a decent handheld with amazing graphics and awesome potential. The focus for now should be games, the price cut should come later. It's only been four months.
"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to shut the f**k up!"
RandyChimp 38

PSN ID: RandyChimp

Postby TheLastDodo » 06 Jun 2012, 17:10

The best bit was when they admitted they had something like 25 new Vita games to play on the show floor but didn't realise it would've been a good idea to show more of them at the conference :lol:

"I'm getting lots of tweets from people saying, 'where are PS Vita games?' That was, in retrospect, our fault - not looking at every angle when we designed the programme for the show. We have 25 new games, Vita titles, playable on the show floor."
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Arti » 06 Jun 2012, 17:48

well the majority can't afford a 205 pound machine(then add ons games etc). where's the logic in selling a ps3 at a cheaper price than the vita.
Arti 32

Postby billysastard » 06 Jun 2012, 18:09

well once again this weeks media create figures are out and vita is still trawling the bottom of the barrel.

not a single psv title in the top 20

as for hardware it did sell a few more but its still dire.

| 3DS | 101,075 | 55,212 | 1,875,730 | 6,157,874 |
| PS3 | 14,799 | 14,771 | 573,331 | 8,209,717 |
| PSP | 10,547 | 10,617 | 404,276 | 19,133,638 |
| PSV | 7,551 | 6,675 | 277,686 | 717,671 |
| WII | 5,825 | 6,149 | 230,120 | 12,393,341 |
| 360 | 2,719 | 3,069 | 34,978 | 1,571,022 |

those figures are this week, last week, year to date and lifetime.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Next