to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Has id Software's John Carmack cracked virtual reality gamin

Your comments on our articles.

VIDEO: We go eyes-on with the amazing homemade VR goggles

Yesterday at E3 a childhood dream came one step closer to (virtual) reality, as John Carmack, co-founder of id Software, showed us what he's been up to since the launch of Rage last year.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Drusus » 06 Jun 2012, 11:49

I don't know I can't get your videos to play.
Drusus 56

Postby volatilis » 06 Jun 2012, 11:54

Neither of those videos work for me. Anyone else having trouble?
volatilis 18

Re: Has id Software's John Carmack cracked virtual reality g

Postby Rob Crossley » 06 Jun 2012, 12:00

We're working on this!

Sorry, new video will be up in a sec :)
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby wwinterj » 06 Jun 2012, 12:02

The videos work for me. Interesting even if the goggles look bad. I hope it works out this time around but it's to early to say if it will or won't.
wwinterj 48

Postby Rob Crossley » 06 Jun 2012, 12:06

Are the videos working okay now?

Let me know and I'll get on it
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby freds1 » 06 Jun 2012, 12:07

Yep, this video can't be found or something. Scratch that, works now.
No need to be careful what you wish for, you probably won't get it.
freds1 55

Postby frazzerr » 06 Jun 2012, 12:22

Videos are working perfectly for me. Really interesting stuff, really seems like he is making good progress. Obviously it won't be out any time soon but good to hear that someone is making a real effort to provide virtual reality gaming :shock:
frazzerr 43

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Postby MisterBedo » 06 Jun 2012, 12:37

frazzerr wrote:Videos are working perfectly for me. Really interesting stuff, really seems like he is making good progress. Obviously it won't be out any time soon but good to hear that someone is making a real effort to provide virtual reality gaming :shock:

Agreed. It looks as though we're goona be getting this tech via a software developer rather than a hardware developer, which seems kinda odd. I can't believe Sony, MS or Nintendo haven't spent some serious time and money investing in this, but maybe that's because of history rather than anything else (Virtual Boy anyone?).

I can imagine a time when a VR headset coupled with a Kinect type interface could really, really make for some cool gaming (and some bruised shins).
GT: MrBedo
I gave Brucie the goat at Twickenham.
MisterBedo 63

Postby flyfletch » 06 Jun 2012, 13:04

MisterBedo wrote:
frazzerr wrote:Videos are working perfectly for me. Really interesting stuff, really seems like he is making good progress. Obviously it won't be out any time soon but good to hear that someone is making a real effort to provide virtual reality gaming :shock:

Agreed. It looks as though we're goona be getting this tech via a software developer rather than a hardware developer, which seems kinda odd. I can't believe Sony, MS or Nintendo haven't spent some serious time and money investing in this, but maybe that's because of history rather than anything else (Virtual Boy anyone?).

I can imagine a time when a VR headset coupled with a Kinect type interface could really, really make for some cool gaming (and some bruised shins).

My money would be on MS if anyone picks it up, it needs serious investment if its going to end up viable, and Sony are skint, and Nintendo....well Nintendo are just Nintendo....whom after this E3 are a complete waste of space in my eyes...
Go ahead and add me on PS3, 360 & Wii U, please note! Weirdo's will be blocked immediately :)
flyfletch 68

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch
Wii Code: Wii U code Fletch76
Steam: Flyfletch1976

Postby martinawatson » 06 Jun 2012, 13:06

Cmon John you crazy bastard , make it so :D
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 64

Postby Cogglesz » 06 Jun 2012, 13:10

Thats nuts, i'd love to be able to just do little personal projects of such an epic scale, after looking at how 3D is making a comeback i'm sure Virtual Reality has a good chance as well, Carmack is a really smart dude, hope he can get everything going soon, it really sounds like he's on to something great!
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 58

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby Jensonjet » 06 Jun 2012, 13:14

Videos work for me... badly, as always on CVG, but I can at least hear what's being said, even if the framerate is horrendous.

Anyway, on topic... I love this guy! I'm not the bigtest fan of Carmack's games (although I've enjoyed a few), but he's always so fascinating to listen to. He's one of the few genuinely interesting people in the gaming industry, which is why it doesn't matter to me whether his latest or his next game is of any interest, it's his attitude and his determination to improve various aspects of gaming that has me interested.

I have to say, I think it's excellent news that he's taken an interest in virtual reality. Many of us have tried out systems at shows, and have fallen in love with the potential of virtual reality headsets for gaming, but as the man says himself, sadly the technology seems to have failed to live up to expectations, and nothing's really moving. And although he doesn't say it himself, I'm incredibly disappointed that the big manufacturers are more interested in bring us wands, wavy-arm-watching cameras, multi-button mice and all the other technology that's supposed to entice gamers, when a decent virtual reality system, one that we and John C envisage, could blow everything out of the water.

What I love about the idea of what he seems to be explaining and it's how I imagined the system working is that we still use a controller of sorts to move around (although that could easily be a mouse/keyboard if we're sitting at a computer) but use our heads to look around a full view rendered space.

I would hope in the future, when John's pulled the industry kicking and screaming from it's obsession with stupid 3D glasses/TV combinations, jumping around and waving our arms about, and swiping the air with plastic handles, he ensures (although I'd expect nothing less) that the system allows all games to work on a virtual reality set without developers needing to do much work. We know how much they charge for a small map pack... if they have to do too much work to get their games working with VR then they'll price themselves out of one possible gaming future.

I really want to see this as an alternative to playing games on a TV or a monitor. I don't think it should be like the plethora of controllers and change the way we game or create new genres of game. It needs to inconspicuously sit alongside our controllers or keyboards, yet give us an alternative and potentially far more enjoyable way to play our first-person shooters, driving and flying games. And, as one who hates the genre... tough luck third-person games. This isn't for you... move on!
Jensonjet 47

Postby mrlister » 06 Jun 2012, 14:01

VR is all I have ever wanted from gaming. Dammit.
mrlister 45

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby zinaptik » 06 Jun 2012, 17:47

over the last few days the only videos that worked for me were the live streams, no other video works, it just blank with not even a play button. I know you seem to like your own service, but just switch to youtube its 100% universal.
zinaptik 46

Postby corkscru74 » 06 Jun 2012, 17:52

Jensonjet wrote:Many of us have tried out systems at shows, and have fallen in love with the potential of virtual reality headsets for gaming, but as the man says himself, sadly the technology seems to have failed to live up to expectations, and nothing's really moving.

That would be the VIRTUAL part then :lol: *chortle, guffaw*

Can't see Sony being too eager to back this as they're still trying to push their HD and 3D TV Screens. While I'd love this to become...a reality, the general apathy towards putting on 3D glasses in your living-room makes me wonder if the mainstream would ever dream of wearing a VR headset. But then, if waggle-gaming become a thing there's no reason this couldn't :D
corkscru74 49

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Next