Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Your comments on our articles.

But does 1313 signal the start of a new generation or the end of the old one?

LucasArts won't even call Star Wars 1313's E3 demo "alpha"; instead, says LucasArts' Matt Shell, it's in "pre production". But here at E3 in its early not-even-alpha state it's the world's first taste of next generation graphics, and it's running on a machine you could own today.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 06 Jun 2012, 11:43

This looks absolutely stunning. This should give my gtx 590 a good workout.
Two Pennys Worth 57
 
Posts: 803
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 19:54

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby kovin » 06 Jun 2012, 12:01

maybe its just me then.
but this didnt scream next gen. pretty but not 'the future'
kovin 61
 
Posts: 2124
Joined: 18 Mar 2006, 18:27
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: GregorKovin

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby wwinterj » 06 Jun 2012, 12:24

kovin wrote:maybe its just me then.
but this didnt scream next gen. pretty but not 'the future'


Nope it's not just you. Much like Watch Dogs this was running on a PC.
Image
Image
User avatar
wwinterj 51
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 22:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby Jensonjet » 06 Jun 2012, 12:26

Aren't all shooter, action, third- and first-person games going to look stunning next generation? Is there a point at which the graphics aren't the selling point, the determining factor to anticipating a new game? I find this trailer odd in that it says absolutely nothing, its graphics show off exactly what we're likely to see of all next gen games and in terms of gameplay, it's another game that revolves around shooting and climbing.

I'm not complaining about that as shooting is one of the main ingredients to my gaming world. But next generation game trailers will have to show me a little more than what amounts to a quick cliche conversation, a few explosions and a character sliding around, appearing to be in peril, but as we all know, at worst, may take a couple of attempts at timing button presses to watch our game avatar escape danger! Surely at some point game trailers will need to be a little more sophisticated and intelligent and demonstrate more than a glimpse at a game engine at work.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much and should accept that the only difference between the marketing of a game now and one in the future will be a demonstration of better animation, improved graphical detail and high resolution textures. In which case, is this not just another pretty looking shooting and climbing game, no? I'll remain optimistic that more games in future have the characters, story, script, acting-quality and cinematic feel of the original Mass Effect and Modern Warfare (outstanding highlights of this generation in my opinion). Isn't it time we were sold the journey and the fight rather than how good the fight can look in high definition!?
Jensonjet 47
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: 04 Oct 2008, 00:05
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby budge » 06 Jun 2012, 12:33

Jensonjet wrote:Aren't all shooter, action, third- and first-person games going to look stunning next generation? Is there a point at which the graphics aren't the selling point, the determining factor to anticipating a new game? I find this trailer odd in that it says absolutely nothing, its graphics show off exactly what we're likely to see of all next gen games and in terms of gameplay, it's another game that revolves around shooting and climbing.

I'm not complaining about that as shooting is one of the main ingredients to my gaming world. But next generation game trailers will have to show me a little more than what amounts to a quick cliche conversation, a few explosions and a character sliding around, appearing to be in peril, but as we all know, at worst, may take a couple of attempts at timing button presses to watch our game avatar escape danger! Surely at some point game trailers will need to be a little more sophisticated and intelligent and demonstrate more than a glimpse at a game engine at work.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much and should accept that the only difference between the marketing of a game now and one in the future will be a demonstration of better animation, improved graphical detail and high resolution textures. In which case, is this not just another pretty looking shooting and climbing game, no? I'll remain optimistic that more games in future have the characters, story, script, acting-quality and cinematic feel of the original Mass Effect and Modern Warfare (outstanding highlights of this generation in my opinion). Isn't it time we were sold the journey and the fight rather than how good the fight can look in high definition!?


Sums up my thoughts on this subject perfectly.
Los Rojiblancos
User avatar
budge 67
 
Posts: 4458
Joined: 18 Mar 2008, 10:51
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby sh4dow83 » 06 Jun 2012, 12:53

What nonsense. These characters are still clearly in the uncanny valley. "Beyond realistic" - you might wanna consult an ophthalmologist...
sh4dow83 44
 
Posts: 375
Joined: 24 Jun 2011, 14:27

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby Jon Ahmad » 06 Jun 2012, 17:26

It looks about half way to me. It's all very well having Pixar quality cut scenes and great set pieces in 1080p but I sincerely hope that for future consoles, software companies utilise at least 40% of the available power for realistic open worlds and moreover, good AI. I just hope it's not another 'Killzone' demo...
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 53
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 17:03
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 06 Jun 2012, 23:10

Looked like your bog standard fancy looking linear driven set pieces to me, with an emphasis on detail hiding blur effects, much like the Watch Dogs. Facial animation wasn't realistic, body animation was same old same old, particle effects just looked like typical average ones. Smoke effects can look perfect if you only see them once and the sparks were pretty much disappearing before they hit the ground and not exactly bouncing individually. There was nothing next gen about this. I think people are listening to the hype and letting that affect them rather than looking at it properly.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
Image
User avatar
TheCrimsonFenix 70
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby mahmoud » 14 Jun 2012, 18:34

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:Looked like your bog standard fancy looking linear driven set pieces to me, with an emphasis on detail hiding blur effects, much like the Watch Dogs. Facial animation wasn't realistic, body animation was same old same old, particle effects just looked like typical average ones. Smoke effects can look perfect if you only see them once and the sparks were pretty much disappearing before they hit the ground and not exactly bouncing individually. There was nothing next gen about this. I think people are listening to the hype and letting that affect them rather than looking at it properly.


I think you're mistaking object based motion blur with the cheap stuff they use on old games and console games. You're nitpicking stuff without knowing what's going on.

The blur you see in Watch Dogs and 1313 are of high quality. They are in no way comparable to what we have currently. The reason we have the cheap effects is because the actual effects, as seen in the demos of Watch Dogs and 1313 (running on PCs), requires new hardware.

I hope you didn't say all of this because you are biased against PC gaming. This is what games in the future will look like, and artistic direction and design will make it more or less obvious, and this is what they look like right now on the PC when they're not shackled by the consoles (multiplatform games).
But this is nothing new, nobody has stopped people modding games graphically on the PC. Just looking at what icehancer for gta 4 does it just mind blowing.

There will be a time where these graphics will be common thing, and we will want more graphics. This will be quickly the new standard, developers better think of good gameplay right now instead of just great graphics. Watch dogs seems to be the kind of games that is generous both in gameplay and graphics.

Patiently waiting.
mahmoud 3
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 18:30

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby stealth » 14 Jun 2012, 18:46

definitly not, it looks boring really
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby TehSlenderMan » 07 Jul 2012, 18:50

Jesus Christ this game looks incredible. Must... Have.... NOW.
Have a Steam, Origin(Sadly) and Battle.net Account.
Steam: Darksiders 2, All CoDs, Saints Row 3, CSS, DoD:s, Killing Floor, DX:HR, CS:GO, many more.
Origin: Battlefield 3, Syndicate, and Mass Effect 3.
Battle.net: Diablo 2 LoD, StarCraft 2, and Diablo 3.
User avatar
TehSlenderMan 31
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 26 Feb 2012, 23:40
Location: United States
Xbox Live: TehSlenderrMan
Steam: Teh Slender Man
Battle.net: SlenderMan#1735

Re: Star Wars 1313: The best graphics you've ever seen

Postby TrantaLocked » 13 Aug 2012, 10:04

Two Pennys Worth wrote:This looks absolutely stunning. This should give my gtx 590 a good workout.


You might be able to play on low with decent FPS!
TrantaLocked 1
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Aug 2012, 10:02


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]