to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Pikmin 3: Hands-on with Wii U's rocky sequel

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo holds back on Pikmin 3's long-awaited reveal

So it only took an entire console generation for Nintendo to give us the Pikmin sequel we wanted. And yet, surprisingly, Pikmin 3's E3 reveal doesn't feel like a game two generation ahead of the originals.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Pikmin 3: Hands-on with Wii U's rocky sequel

Postby superdudeguy » 06 Jun 2012, 01:01

Nintendo can't seem to do anything right this e3. Pikmin 3 looks good to me, but I agree when I saw it live on the conference I thought it didn't look too much better than Pikmin 2.
superdudeguy 5

Re: Pikmin 3: Hands-on with Wii U's rocky sequel

Postby TechnoWolf » 06 Jun 2012, 07:05

Hey CVG mind doing a visual comparison between pikmin 2 and 3? I want to see how big the graphical jump really is.
TechnoWolf 61

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 06 Jun 2012, 09:29

Why would you want to play with the GC controls. they're shite compared to the wii ones which were spot on.

Seriously wondering what the hell is wrong with gamers now. When did seeing the upteenth sequel for a series that hasn't even changed its engine in 6 years and brings absoutely nothing new or interesting to the table ever top seeing a sequel that everyones been clamouring for years.

I think the collective cynicism of gamers and every journos want to be charlie brooker is killing any joy left in this hobby and the collective well of bitterness is going to sink any creativity or fun left in gaming.

The biggest threat to modern gaming is the audience.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Zaphod_B » 06 Jun 2012, 10:09

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Why would you want to play with the GC controls. they're shite compared to the wii ones which were spot on.

Seriously wondering what the hell is wrong with gamers now. When did seeing the upteenth sequel for a series that hasn't even changed its engine in 6 years and brings absoutely nothing new or interesting to the table ever top seeing a sequel that everyones been clamouring for years.

I think the collective cynicism of gamers and every journos want to be charlie brooker is killing any joy left in this hobby and the collective well of bitterness is going to sink any creativity or fun left in gaming.

The biggest threat to modern gaming is the audience.

Excellent point. I've been feeling this for a while, a pandering to the vocal forumites that borders on the obscene. I tend not to bother with Nintendo coverage anymore because so many journalists just pick on any aspect to complain about for a whole article, regardless of any actual pros and cons they could be weighing up. I wouldn't mind if CoD and co had the same critical eye turned on them, but endless sodding FPS's are lapped up without any critical comment. Sad.
"Never eat more that 2 Pan-Galatic Gargle Blasters unless you are a 30-ton Mega Elephant with Broncal Phemonia"
Zaphod_B 43

Postby me4pd » 06 Jun 2012, 11:02

How much better did you think a bloody blade of grass or ripple of water was going to look?
me4pd 48

Postby Stryker89 » 06 Jun 2012, 11:08

This is why Nintendo's conference felt like such a failure. Pikmin 3 and Super Mario Bros U should be brilliant games in their own right, and they probably will be. The problem however, lies in the fact that both games look near enough identical to their respective predecessors. Pikmin in particular has missed an entire generation of consoles, and should probably look a lot better than it does. In that respect, it feels like Nintendo only revealed one truly new game- Nintendo Land.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby cult » 06 Jun 2012, 11:09

TechnoWolf wrote:Hey CVG mind doing a visual comparison between pikmin 2 and 3? I want to see how big the graphical jump really is.

Edge says the following
the biggest question that lies over Wii U is just how well it will stand against the coming next generation. On the evidence of what we saw today, the answer is not awfully well.
No game shown looked technically out of the bounds of 360; Arkham City arguably looked worse.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 06 Jun 2012, 14:45

Stryker89 wrote:This is why Nintendo's conference felt like such a failure. Pikmin 3 and Super Mario Bros U should be brilliant games in their own right, and they probably will be. The problem however, lies in the fact that both games look near enough identical to their respective predecessors. Pikmin in particular has missed an entire generation of consoles, and should probably look a lot better than it does. In that respect, it feels like Nintendo only revealed one truly new game- Nintendo Land.

I think it says more about how great the Original looked at the time. there's definately an improvement in the graphics. Look at the cherry in the background of the 2nd screenshot. It looks real. But personally i have a feeling that pikmin 3 doesn't really push the WiiU in any serious and more than likely started off life on the wii and then they moved development to the wii u.

The biggest problem nintendo face is that most gamers seem to be more interested with looks than gameplay these days. I have a feeling that come TGS we may start seeing the games that'll really push the hardware and show us what its capable of.

Most of what we've seen so far are ports. Except zombiU which looks fantastic. What the wii needs is a demo of 1313 or waking dogs. we need to know that something next gen is coming. or like the dreamcast people will just wait for the next playstation.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66