to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary focuses on a younger Sam

Your comments on our articles.

Fisher's former voice actor Michael Ironside admits he's old to resume the role

Ubisoft has released a developer diary for its newly revealed Splinter Cell: Blacklist.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary focuses on a younger Sam

Postby burnsyboy2004 » 05 Jun 2012, 12:04

I'm sorry, but this is just like a nightmare come true. Lack of stealth, lack of darkness, set in a shyte desert setting, and to kick you in the nuts when your down, NO MICHAEL IRONSIDE?!!

Sam Fisher IS Michael Ironside, not some douchenozzle with a £453 haircut who sounds like David Beckham trying to cough up flem!!!

I was hoping for a mix between Chaos Theory/Conviction for this, but its not meant to be.......

No deal Ubisoft, Splinter Cell is dead :(
burnsyboy2004 37

Re: Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary focuses on a younger

Postby Mobius01 » 05 Jun 2012, 12:14

burnsyboy2004 wrote:I'm sorry, but this is just like a nightmare come true. Lack of stealth, lack of darkness, set in a shyte desert setting, and to kick you in the nuts when your down, NO MICHAEL IRONSIDE?!!

Sam Fisher IS Michael Ironside, not some douchenozzle with a £453 haircut who sounds like David Beckham trying to cough up flem!!!

I was hoping for a mix between Chaos Theory/Conviction for this, but its not meant to be.......

No deal Ubisoft, Splinter Cell is dead :(

That covers everything I was gonna say.

R.I.P. Splinter Cell :cry:
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby sigourney beaver » 05 Jun 2012, 12:43

there is no excuse for the lack of michael ironside you should of made the game to fit around him if he is too old
sigourney beaver 44

Postby Lsnake » 05 Jun 2012, 12:56

I was never a fan of Splinter Cell before, but I completely see where you fans are coming from. It's like replacing David Hayter with some yuppie to voice Snake in a new MGS. Perhaps it's easier for me, who's definitely getting this new Splinter Cell, and not having any connections to the previous entry apart from some knowledge about Sam and the previous games.

If Mark Hamill can do The Joker, why shouldn't Ironside do Sam?
Lsnake 46

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Jun 2012, 13:07

Most awkward EPK ever :mrgreen:

Answering questions with a MoCap rig on: check.
Michael Ironside giving one last interview as Sam Fisher on his way to the accounting desk: check.
Not showing a single image from the game: check.
Removing stealth from stealth-action: ...in progress?

I'm not gonna be too judgemental though, MGS prequel turned out to be arguably one of the (if not the) best in the series, so if they thought some new blood was needed I'll give Ubi the benefit of the doubt.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Mobius01 » 05 Jun 2012, 13:07

In an interview on Youtube for ConViction, Ironside thought Sam was in his thirties so you see why he thinks he's too old. Someone said that Ironside wanted to add to the character but Ubi wouldn't let him. Arseholes :evil:
Mobius01 50

Postby bubblyofart » 05 Jun 2012, 13:35

I dont believe this...I thought that the reason MI wasn't in the trailer was because they were still working on his VO for the rest of the game and had step in for the demo...

Well this is utter crap!

MI = Sam Fisher, if MI wasn't able to/forced to give up the role then the game should have retired Sam Fisher as the boss of a new Echelon and then brought in new blood or something like that. Something similar to what they're doing with The Bourne Legacy.

Oh well if Blacklist goes to pot, the franchise could always end with Conviction for some fans anyway.
bubblyofart 47

Postby Obscure_Metaphor » 05 Jun 2012, 13:46

I don't get why they didn't go down the "introducing the next generation" route. have a co-op game that has Sam Fisher training up his replacement. you get drop in out co-op that has a narrative based reason to exist, and Michael Ironside can bow out without pissing off all the fans.
Obscure_Metaphor 40

Postby JOEuk91 » 05 Jun 2012, 13:57

They could have done the body motion capture and add Ironside's voice afterwards, but that's just it, as they said in the video this way is alot easier. Somehow I don't think using this new method is worth losing the very thing that made the character, especially since the characters don't even look any different to Conviction. The way I see it is Ironside was dumped in favour of a new, mainstream-friendly younger action hero character and action gameplay. Not only does Sam sound different, he even has a different face, couple that with the game completely straying away from its dark stealth roots, and you have a completely trashed franchise.

So what I'm basically trying to say is Splinter Cell is dead, f*ck you Ubisoft, sticking your fingers up at your core fans who established the brand is always appreciated, completely ignoring what they want to get more money. How people were applauding it and not booing at the E3 conference is beyond me, sell out accomplished.
JOEuk91 42

Postby The Bossman » 05 Jun 2012, 14:15

Garbage, I'm sure Ironside could have made his voice sound younger then they get that guy to do the motion capture but whatever. Never buying a Splinter Cell game again if it keeps going in this direction, bring Ironside BACK.
The Bossman 46

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby eastldn » 05 Jun 2012, 14:51

i don't understand is this not a sequel to conviction saw a video on gametrailers where they said it was? then why is he YOUNGER?
eastldn 43

Postby ukdruid » 05 Jun 2012, 17:17

No Michael Ironside = no sam fisher, you cannot just change the main characters voice after over 10 years worth of games, why is it voice actors need to always mocap, why not you know, just use their voice since thats what they're hired for.

Splinter Cell is now dead to me, even though i enjoyed the demo at E3 and them finally adding spy vs merc again that was sorely missed from the last SC games, wont persuade me to buy this game, sorry ubi you messed up badly here.
ukdruid 42

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 06 Jun 2012, 00:04

I've yet to see anything of the game that doesn't tell me "This is the same slightly enhanced game engine from Conviction". The animation of Sam running and crouching and climbing is all the same. The only thing that requires motion capture from the looks of it is the cutscenes which.. don't exactly look as if they were created in a way which brings voice and motion together. They still look like voice and action was done separately which pretty much makes their whole "we needed younger" argument, void.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Mobius01 » 06 Jun 2012, 00:14

That's not Claudia Besso voicing Grim either. What's their excuse for not using her voice :roll:

Ubisoft are f*cking idiots. Kicking the core fans in the balls to cater for the ADHD kiddies with lots of 'pew pew'.
Mobius01 50