to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Last of Us: 7 min E3 gameplay video released

Your comments on our articles.

Naughty Dog's PS3 exclusive continues to impress

Sony's released an impressive E3 gameplay video for Naughty Dog's promising new IP, The Last of Us.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Last of Us: 7 min E3 gameplay video released

Postby Imaduck » 05 Jun 2012, 04:03

Agreed. Hope they stick with their Spartan approach - the sort of hardcore scavenging aspect is brilliant. Looks like it has all the makings of a great game. The challenge lies, I imagine, in telling a compelling story and keeping the environments changing.
One of the bit problems with games like Stalker is that after a while of eating nuclear rats in greytown with your dead friends, it can get a tiny little bit depressing and stale :roll: . You lose that "f**k yeah post apocalypse!" thing and end up with more of a "not another bunch of f**king nutters to wax" as the intrigue of a unique surrounding wears off quickly enough. No gameplay mechanic that I know of can prevent that type of stagnation without proper variety and movement.

I guess it lands on the father/daughter aspect really to make it all stick together. Needs depth.
Imaduck 58

Re: Last of Us: 7 min E3 gameplay video released

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jun 2012, 04:11

Looks amazing, I didn't know Naughty Dog had this kind of brutality in them.

I said it in the E3 thread but I'll say it again, ND and Santa Monica are magicians when it comes to PS3, they always find a way to push the PS3 that bit further.

Anyone else LOL at the guy getting a brick in the face?
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Barca Azul » 05 Jun 2012, 08:13

This just looks better and better the more I see of it!
Barca Azul 62

Postby dwhlufc » 05 Jun 2012, 08:50

I'm still in shock at how good it was visually!
dwhlufc 75

Postby flyfletch » 05 Jun 2012, 09:50

This is the game that stopped me flogging my PS3, and i can only say that so far i have no regrets, it will be staying in the box till this is released! :)
flyfletch 71

Postby sakaspuds » 05 Jun 2012, 10:17

this looks like a brutal mass murderer making his way through a mostly abandoned city with a young girl side kick... tell me you just dont go through the whole game killing people for no apparent reason?
sakaspuds 42

Postby Queen Skillage » 05 Jun 2012, 10:26

sakaspuds wrote:this looks like a brutal mass murderer making his way through a mostly abandoned city with a young girl side kick... tell me you just dont go through the whole game killing people for no apparent reason?

No reason? Would you not protect yourself from gangs of men that would kill you then do unspeakable things to the young girl then?

I'm not sure they look like the type to sit and talk things out over a cup of tea to be honest.
Queen Skillage 63
Global Moderator

Postby kirankara » 05 Jun 2012, 10:28

sakaspuds wrote:this looks like a brutal mass murderer making his way through a mostly abandoned city with a young girl side kick... tell me you just dont go through the whole game killing people for no apparent reason?

yeah, you figured it out, that's the plot :roll:

Did you miss part about those guys trying to kill them? It's post apocalyptic setting, and he's protecting her. If you've ever seen THE Road (great film folks ) then you get the sense of how brutal and desperate life could be in those settings.

also, how is the mass killings of halo, black ops, gears of war, uncharted etc etc any less pointless ??
kirankara 57

Postby flash501 » 05 Jun 2012, 11:27

Killing them for no apparent reason?

Is u high?!

This is Game of the show for me so far.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby El Mag » 05 Jun 2012, 12:29

I'd ask them if they'd like to play Twister or Connect Four.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Coulson1990 » 05 Jun 2012, 12:43

Excuse me chaps, Ellie and Myself were wondering if we could interest you in a game of boggle or team battleship.
Coulson1990 44

Postby RavenxPrime » 05 Jun 2012, 12:47

The AI is rubbish, and you could have easily sneaked past that 1st guy without killing him. He posed no threat to you, seeing as the AI was rubbish enough to not know that you where there lol.

Another style over substance game from Naughty Dog :roll:

I played and completed Uncharted 2, and while it did look good and had some nice scripted set pieces, it did get rather boring and repetative.

This looks much of the same, plus after grabbing your human target that guy behind cover stands up doesn't shoot and waits a couple of seconds so that you can get your aim right, what a joke lol.
RavenxPrime 40

Postby Barry316 » 05 Jun 2012, 12:51

RavenxPrime wrote:The AI is rubbish, and you could have easily sneaked past that 1st guy without killing him. He posed no threat to you, seeing as the AI was rubbish enough to not know that you where there lol.

I played and completed Uncharted 2, and while it did look good and had some nice scripted set pieces, it did get rather boring and repetative.

This looks much of the same, plus after grabbing your human target that guy behind cover stands up doesn't shoot and waits a couple of seconds so that you can get your aim right, what a joke lol.

And you got all that from a 7 minute trailer where you don't know what difficulty it was on? Well done, i'd offer you some crayons but i'm afraid you'd eat them.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby kirankara » 05 Jun 2012, 13:11

RavenxPrime wrote:The AI is rubbish, and you could have easily sneaked past that 1st guy without killing him. He posed no threat to you, seeing as the AI was rubbish enough to not know that you where there lol.

Generally when someone has a hostage being used as human shield, the first reaction is not to shoot. It's kinda risky ya know :roll: Please for love of god dont give up day job and attempt to go into hostage negotiation.

I agree that Uc2 got bit samey and repetitive towards end though, but can be aimed at many , many games, if not all of them. Max Payne 3, barely offered anything new after first level, gears of war is almost exactly same all way through 3 games, Halo series offers little variety etc etc.

We saw a small clip of game, edited to induce excitement, there might be more to this than meets eye. I for one, am hoping so, as more Uncharted seems waste of the post apocalyptic setting
kirankara 57

Postby sakaspuds » 05 Jun 2012, 13:19

kirankara wrote:

yeah, you figured it out, that's the plot :roll:

Did you miss part about those guys trying to kill them? It's post apocalyptic setting, and he's protecting her. If you've ever seen THE Road (great film folks ) then you get the sense of how brutal and desperate life could be in those settings.

also, how is the mass killings of halo, black ops, gears of war, uncharted etc etc any less pointless ??

halo, gears of war, black ops so on, are war games, games set in the battlefield, this game seems to be set in a world long after a massive disaster, where very few people survived, why would the only remaining people wish to kill each other on sight?, don't get me wrong the game looks stunning, but why go to all the effort of making a believable detailed world, with engaging characters then making the plot like an cheesy 80s die hard style movie,
they seem to be making there way to a bridge in the distance, ok fair enough, lets say you're him, you go into that building and hear people in there, you'd turn around and walk straight back out, find a safer way not decide you're going to shoot several men in the face, i do like a bit of face shooting, but why must every game involve face shooting? you almost expect it now, every game has to have you kill something or someone, the fact people think its strange i am pointing it out says more about gamers than games, does killing hundreds of people in lots of different ways really add much to the gaming experience? i don't know that it really does, something to think about :) not having a go at anyone on here just quoting what you said because of the shooters you mentioned
sakaspuds 42

Next