Sony announces intriguing Wonderbook for PS3

Your comments on our articles.

Harry Potter creator JK Rowling to publish content

Sony's announced Wonderbook for PlayStation 3, a unique concept that mixes literature and augmented reality.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony announces intriguing Wonderbook for PS3

Postby adnanrules » 05 Jun 2012, 03:16

This was the most embarrassing thing to show at E3, Sony...oh god. GOTY for sure
adnanrules 25

Re: Sony announces intriguing Wonderbook for PS3

Postby m00dy29 » 05 Jun 2012, 03:27

adnanrules wrote:This was the most embarrassing thing to show at E3, Sony...oh god. GOTY for sure

Well I don't know who was more embarrassed...Sony or that woman trying to open the door with her wand! :lol:
m00dy29 53

PSN ID: I_R_MuNkY

Postby Imaduck » 05 Jun 2012, 03:30

I thought it was interesting if a bit daft. Kids would be fascinated, but eh, how many kids did you see in the crowd? Kind of a 5th wheel really too. The joy of books is that every person envisions the events etc. differently, this envisions them for you. Bullet meet foot.

Still, I thought it was a nice idea.
Imaduck 58

Postby zinaptik » 05 Jun 2012, 03:32

far far too much time spent on this, I really doubt it will be a popular thing beyond 5 year olds, and even then they will be asking for black ops 2 not some wand crap.
zinaptik 47

Postby Drusus » 05 Jun 2012, 03:33

By intriguing do you mean boring thing to show a room full of journalists and a bunch of hardcore gamers on the net.

It might do lots of cool things for storytime but E3 isn't the best place to show it off, it'll get lost behind AAA games and during the conference just looks embarrassing, Nice Idea like the sesame street kinect but silly place to launch.
Drusus 59

Postby wwinterj » 05 Jun 2012, 03:34

This was.... a perfect time to go and get some food and a coffee. Thank you Sony! :D
Last edited by wwinterj on 05 Jun 2012, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
wwinterj 51

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby m00dy29 » 05 Jun 2012, 03:35

Imaduck wrote:I thought it was interesting if a bit daft. Kids would be fascinated, but eh, how many kids did you see in the crowd? Kind of a 5th wheel really too. The joy of books is that every person envisions the events etc. differently, this envisions them for you. Bullet meet foot.

Still, I thought it was a nice idea.

Totally agree...I actually quite liked the look of it. Not something I'd go for but was different.
m00dy29 53

PSN ID: I_R_MuNkY

Postby Drusus » 05 Jun 2012, 03:41

Also, Tolstoy is an author, Garth Marenghi is a dream weaver and J.K.Rowling is a book shoveller.

She's closer to a word combine harvester than an author.
Drusus 59

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jun 2012, 03:55

I can see kids being interested in this but it felt like an eternity waiting for this segment to end for me, the only major problem I had with Sony's conference.
TheLastDodo 77

OMG CANT WAIT FOR THIS !

Postby wonderbook4life » 05 Jun 2012, 04:47

I have litterally been waiting for this release all my life. It looks f**king magical. Sony, I must admit I had given up faith (living in my cupboard under the stairs) but now my life has meaning. Thank you soo much for Wonderbook, cant wait to preorder all 6 copies for all of my children and me. This tops so many classics, my life will be complete. I have a special spot in my cabinet reserved, somewhere between Scarface and the Gruffalo.

Without doubt the highlight of E3!!!!! Keep this work up, and once again, Thanks!! You have made my night.
wonderbook4life 1
New user

Postby billysastard » 05 Jun 2012, 06:09

Drusus wrote:By intriguing do you mean boring thing to show a room full of journalists and a bunch of hardcore gamers on the net.

no, i think they meant absolute sh*t, who is it aimed at, gamers couldn't care less, the mentally challenged (and jboo) would find it too complex and if you had children you'd prefer to develop their imagination by encouraging them to read a proper book and playing not by having them shown what to think

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Barca Azul » 05 Jun 2012, 09:46

Probably something that my daughters would love and keep them entertained. Looks quite interesting, but have to see how it would really work.
Barca Azul 63

Postby gamerdude2 » 10 Jun 2012, 03:01

What the Hell!! Can't they just make a proper harry potter video game, like what they are doing for kinect but with or without the move . I honestly just want a cool harry potter combat or duelling game.

DH pt2 had a good concept of third person shooter, but they made the spells act exactly like normal weapons.

Stupefy was ok but impedimenta should have acted like the force push in infamous or fus ro dah from skyrim .

Confringo should been a fire ball that explodes and that sets fire to a part of the ground for a period of time.

You should not be able to walk around with protego for unlimited time, you should have to activate it by pressing a button and aim in the direction the spell is coming from with a directionnal button. It should dissapear when a spell hits it.

The only thing the other hp games had that worked was Wingardium leviosa, yet the srewed it up in DH pt1 and removed it in DH pt2.

Expulso sould be like a greande that explodes on contact.

All the spells should be as I described them but with a magic effect.

Apparate should like a white smoke light aura glow like in the movies for the good guys, and a dark cloud of smoke for the bad guys.

Make the gameplay more difficult, original and interresting not repetitive. Just because it is an action game, does not mean it has to be only about taking down the same enemys over and over,
gamerdude2 2
New user

Postby gmcb007 » 10 Jun 2012, 14:47

You take Harry Potter well too seriously .

Anyways I find this to cancel out the whole point of books for kids as aren't they supposed to help kids use their imagination? Seems like this does the work for them.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby gamerdude2 » 08 Jul 2012, 17:38

I might take it too seriously because the harry potter saga had or still has potential to be a great video game. I mean, as many others, I had read all the books when I was only a kid and saw all the movies. Both the books and movies were criticly acclaimed so why the hell couldn't the video games be as well. The reason for that is because EA was not serious about this since it was movie game.

For that i find them incredibly stupid since they could have made alot more profit because they didn't have to go and get fans since there were already fans due to the the books and movies,everything was practically given to them to succeed. In other words, they threw away a pretty good business oppurtunity.

As for the thing you said about it that it does the work for the kids since they won't need to use of their imagination, I completely agree having read the books as a child, thus making this, from my own first impression, a downhill product for the franchise.
Last edited by gamerdude2 on 14 Jul 2012, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
gamerdude2 2
New user

Next