Sony: Free games for PS Plus members, PSOne Classics on Vita

Your comments on our articles.

Subscribers to receive InFamous 2 and LittleBigPlanet 2 tomorrow

Sony's announced it is "expanding" its PlayStation Plus service to deliver free PlayStation 3 titles to paid subscribers.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony: Free games for PS Plus members, PSOne Classics on Vita

Postby Padua » 05 Jun 2012, 03:11

That is freaking awesome. I've been waiting for Infamous 2 to be discounted.
Was just thinking of whether to renew my PS Plus and now I have a good reason to keep it. :mrgreen:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Re: Sony: Free games for PS Plus members, PSOne Classics on

Postby wwinterj » 05 Jun 2012, 03:32

Not really free when you're paying a subscription service plus you'll never own the games yourself. On top of that I see downloading games to be a pain in the ass for folk who have rubbish Internet(like myself). This won't make me want to subscribe to PS Plus sorry Sony.

Still it's great news for folk who already use PS Plus I suppose.
wwinterj 51

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby zinaptik » 05 Jun 2012, 03:36

what happened to the new subscription package and higher price points with more freebies. free old/newish ps3 games are fine but, was expecting something more radical. it took about 6 hours to download shift 2 so I cant really see myself doing that very often.
zinaptik 47

Postby Imaduck » 05 Jun 2012, 03:47

A good point winter. Wasn't this North America only too? Or at least only confirmed for North America so far?

To my mind, there's various pros and cons. You are paying for it, absolutely, but in a way that "feels" nice, it feels like you're getting stuff for free which tends to = :P . On the other hand, if you're serious about gaming on your PS3, you'll probably have all the big titles. Must be a tricky balance to work out whether it's worth it for you personally or not. In some ways MS's way makes life "easier" - you get no f**king choice :lol:
Imaduck 58

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jun 2012, 04:00

Never understand the "it's not really free" argument with PS Plus.

Do you go to the cinema and then complain when you can't take the film home with you?
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Imaduck » 05 Jun 2012, 04:06

No, but you don't walk in without paying, therefore - not free. I don't think anyone was looking to stir things up, just an observation.
Imaduck 58

Postby Troo Gamer » 05 Jun 2012, 04:12

If MS offered something similar no one would complain so why complain about this?

Optional service at the end of the day
Troo Gamer 33

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Jun 2012, 04:19

I know that, but some people (winter doesn't appear to be one) actually seem to think that they should just be handed everything for free to keep forever.

PS Plus offers amazing value even if you don't technically own the stuff on offer, you pay 35 quid for a 1 year sub and get something stupid like £250 worth of PSN, PS1, PS2, PS3 games then there's discounts plus invitations to exclusive betas.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Suhn-Sol-Jashin » 05 Jun 2012, 06:15

wwinterj wrote:Not really free when you're paying a subscription service plus you'll never own the games yourself. On top of that I see downloading games to be a pain in the ass for folk who have rubbish Internet(like myself). This won't make me want to subscribe to PS Plus sorry Sony.

Still it's great news for folk who already use PS Plus I suppose.

Really so, 12 games that all cost about 30-60 dollars THIS MONTH, is not worth buying a years worth of subscription for one of those?

You get hundreds of games every year. 50 dollars for that is TOTALLY worth it.

Plus, the rubbish internet, is your problem, not Sony's.
Suhn-Sol-Jashin 6
New user

Postby Suhn-Sol-Jashin » 05 Jun 2012, 06:17

zinaptik wrote:what happened to the new subscription package and higher price points with more freebies. free old/newish ps3 games are fine but, was expecting something more radical. it took about 6 hours to download shift 2 so I cant really see myself doing that very often.

With PS Plus, you can set your downloads and updates so that you download stuff in the middle of the night while you're asleep, while your PS3 is off. All you need is an internet connection.
Suhn-Sol-Jashin 6
New user

Postby Suhn-Sol-Jashin » 05 Jun 2012, 06:21

TheLastDodo wrote:I know that, but some people (winter doesn't appear to be one) actually seem to think that they should just be handed everything for free to keep forever.

PS Plus offers amazing value even if you don't technically own the stuff on offer, you pay 35 quid for a 1 year sub and get something stupid like £250 worth of PSN, PS1, PS2, PS3 games then there's discounts plus invitations to exclusive betas.

This. Everything stated here is exactly what PS Plus is, you pay a small amount of money for a ton of games. Except, you know... You're getting Infamous 2 and LBP 2 with it... Which is already about 100 dollars at Gamestop.
Suhn-Sol-Jashin 6
New user

Postby Barca Azul » 05 Jun 2012, 07:49

So when are they releasing the info that will make "if your not a PS Plus subscriber...you soon will be"

Its hardly groundbreaking this, they had full (old) games before.
Barca Azul 63

Postby gamefreak666 » 05 Jun 2012, 08:10

Yes, Jack Tretton said "starting tomorrow, in the US, PS+ subscribers will get....".

Not quite the overhaul that the service was promised and based on the 3 games listed most people will have them already (I own 2 of them and don't want the 3rd one).

Also, announcing that the Vita is getting PS1 classics and then acting like this was a new and wonderful thing, when it should have been on the system at launch.

I was expecting good things from Sony at this E3 but have been left bitterly disappointed.
gamefreak666 39

Xbox Live: gamefreak6667
PSN ID: gamefreak666
Wii Code: 8623 0448 1050 6217
Steam: 3DS:- 1848-1694-2515

Postby sigourney beaver » 05 Jun 2012, 08:15

do we know when the vita will get ps1 games?
sigourney beaver 45

Postby robbo1337 » 05 Jun 2012, 08:16

At £3.33 a month or less (buy PSN credit much cheaper than the advertised price from online stores) you own much more than you do with a Netflix, LoveFilm or Spotify account and for around half the price.

OK, so some of the games aren't yours for life but some are (LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Wipeout, Dead Nation, Infamous, etc). The discounts off DLC and games to buy on the PSN more than make up for the cost of around £32 a year (if your sub costs you more than this, you're not shopping around enough: FACT).
This is the space where clever things gets said?
robbo1337 39

PSN ID: robbo1337
Steam: robbo1337

Next