to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The next console generation will be the last, says Crytek CE

Your comments on our articles.

Tablets, smartphones and browser games 'will apply massive pressure on home systems'

The Wii U, PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 will likely be the final trio of systems that close out a thirty-year era of home games consoles, according to the outspoken CEO of games outfit Crytek.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The next console generation will be the last, says Crytek CE

Postby Cogglesz » 04 Jun 2012, 10:16

Lol i doubt that, consoles will move with the times just as phones and computers have, i'm mainly pc gamer but i could never see it being PC only and phones wont ever recreate console experiences and if they do, its because ninty, sony or microsoft has brought out a new phone that streams to your tv and has good controls but the games console would still dominate, in my opinion as long as nintendo are around, consoles wont be going away anytime soon, this is as dumb as saying bluray will be the final format for recorded video, sure we'll have netflix, lovefilm etc but it doesn't mean theres nothing to be made from physical media
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Re: The next console generation will be the last, says Cryte

Postby Izo » 04 Jun 2012, 10:22

I wonder if he'll backtrack over this statement like he did over his comments on second hand games.
Izo 71
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Postby JuiKuen » 04 Jun 2012, 10:31

Even if he's right (somehow I doubt it), it will be my last time in gaming. The Wii U is the last console for me I reckon. I might backtrack on it if Nintendo bring out another console I like, but no way will I be investing in anything Sony and especially MS have to offer
JuiKuen 49

Postby snake2011 » 04 Jun 2012, 10:35

definitely getting a PS4 & PS5 if Sony do it some devs seem to not be in touch with real gamers.

wiiu will not waste my money on it has nothing that says buy me imo.
Last edited by snake2011 on 04 Jun 2012, 10:39, edited 2 times in total.
snake2011 23

Postby damoxuk » 04 Jun 2012, 10:36

PErsonally not interested in Wii-U at all unless specs are quite a step up from ps3/360 otherwise my 360/ps3 will just play the same games yet with all my achievements/trophies/friends list.

PS4/720 on the other hand i'm ready for - been playing in 1920*1200 res on PC for years now so it's about time my TV got full use out o it's 1080p res (oh add 60fps and i'm happy).
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 04 Jun 2012, 10:40

I find it rather stupid to expect consoles to be replaced by smartphones!
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby stealth » 04 Jun 2012, 10:43

doubt it
stealth 47

Postby rhyfel » 04 Jun 2012, 10:51

every time this guy opens his mouth crap comes out he wants to go away and make a decent game for a change and not just a graphical demo with all show and no go.
rhyfel 37

Postby lordirongut » 04 Jun 2012, 10:52

I know Balladeer will hate my guts, but only one symbol can really sum up my thoughts on this statement:

:roll:
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 67

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby STE MO » 04 Jun 2012, 11:12

Really consoles are not going to be around, that's interesting because I prefer to play games on my BIG TV and not some little screen. I enjoy using a control pad and relaxing in my nice big sofa with a big mug of coffee and cake. That's gaming to me.
STE MO 51

Postby bamozzy » 04 Jun 2012, 11:15

hmmm does he know something the rest of us don't??

Maybe the Mayans were correct - maybe a few years out but still correct! Unless something radical changes I can't see the next gen being the last. Technology will continue to grow, develop and improve so the next gen will reach a point when it will be 'dated'.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby budge » 04 Jun 2012, 11:15

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:I find it rather stupid to expect consoles to be replaced by smartphones!

Nuff said.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Stewox » 04 Jun 2012, 11:37

a guy who has relesed one shoddy crappy pc port tweaked ito modern warfail says this

believe me im a hardcore gamer, long story short i have abandoned crytek and their opinions are irrelevant and totally non-credible ... i will not buy crysis 3 unless months after the release i will check if its s viable option ... they can do whatever they want with graphics and editor, if the gameplay is a mw clone the game is useless.

stupid statements like these only lower my chances of ever giving a f**k about their codolized multi-port screwed-up games .... crysis 2 was no true PC game neither true console game ... but wtf is true on the 360 anyway ... all broken pc ports sticked on analog controls, thats why i play nintendo only ... the age of analog FPS is finally over.
Stewox 23

Postby gnokgnik » 04 Jun 2012, 12:39

"Today's gamers buy a game for 99 cents, download it and play it for 15 to 20 minutes per day over a period of two months, and then they move on."

Well,I've heard about a game called... Call of duty. Yes, COD for short. A "few" people play it, and a "little" more than 20 minutes a day I think ...

COD on a phone or tablet, give me a break. :roll:
gnokgnik 51

Postby alan666 » 04 Jun 2012, 12:45

I think it will be a lot more to do with how the publishers want to sell their games, developing hardware like consoles costs a lot of money & they get this back via the games so publishers may ultimately force Sony, Nintendo & Microsofts hand.

Will people continue to pay £250+ for a console with old tech that will be superseded in a couple of years with the upgradability of PC's, i can see Sony maybe integrating the Playstation platform into blu-ray players or having a port on blu-ray players that you plug in a PS5 which contains a CPU & GPU, or maybe has a app that you buy so you just stream the games from a cloud.

I will change before the PS5 & Xbox1440, if the PS4 & X720 are out next year then there will be a six year wait until the PS5 & Xbox1440 would be released so that will be the year 2019 or 2020, just look how powerful the iPhone has got in the last five years & the games it can play, no i am not saying phones will take over but look how small they are compared to the power they pack.

Hmmm i dunno, he may have a point.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next