Mario Wii U shown off in Nintendo Direct

Your comments on our articles.

First footage shows HD platforming

Nintendo's shown off the first footage of its Mario platformer for Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mario Wii U shown off in Nintendo Direct

Postby sakaspuds » 03 Jun 2012, 23:36

good news, a 'pro gamer pad' much like the 360 pad :D and we found out why so much ram is being reserved for the os, it does a lot of things that are normally handled by games such as content creation and sharing, a good show all in all the redesigned pad looked good, the nintendo network also looks cool
sakaspuds 42

Re: Mario Wii U shown off in Nintendo Direct

Postby Barca Azul » 03 Jun 2012, 23:44

sakaspuds wrote:good news, a 'pro gamer pad' much like the 360 pad :D and we found out why so much ram is being reserved for the os, it does a lot of things that are normally handled by games such as content creation and sharing, a good show all in all the redesigned pad looked good, the nintendo network also looks cool

Will this not dent there handheld market though?
Barca Azul 63

Postby charliecheswick » 03 Jun 2012, 23:53

Yep,i enjoyed the presentation. Some really cool features for the pad and the Nintendo Network looks like great fun with video calling and twitteresque in game communication. And looks like the option of a black console at launch is go! WOO HOO!! Think the Wiiverse main user interface could take a bit of time to get used to but it is unique and looks like fun.....there's that word fun again. Like the option of the pro controller too so it was a win for me. Was that a second camera on the rear of the U pad?
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby stealth » 04 Jun 2012, 00:08

i need that
stealth 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 04 Jun 2012, 00:21

Yay lazy nintendo game!
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Stryker89 » 04 Jun 2012, 00:39

Really beautiful backgrounds, brilliant style.
HOWEVER... With New Super Mario Bros 2 coming out in August, and this in October/November, it's definitely a bit overkill. I'd much prefer a 3D Mario game but the sad fact is they don't sell as well as the 2D games.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby stealth » 04 Jun 2012, 01:11

it looks like mario world

and if its for launch the wii u will sell out
stealth 47

Postby Imaduck » 04 Jun 2012, 03:16

Bit of an anticlimax when they could make the exact same thing on the Wii right now and the formula (in these screenshots) was playable on a Gameboy. I get it, it's what the fans want - as shown by Stealth's multiple orgasms, but it just seems kind of lazy to me.

It's like having a relic Fiesta, and being limited to like 40 mph, then buying a Ferrari and limiting yourself to 40mph and just rejoicing at how fast you can now get there.
Imaduck 58

Postby Cogglesz » 04 Jun 2012, 09:31

Yeah it looks pretty much the same as the wii version, saying that though i've not seen it in action, just these pictures.
A few graphical touches will do it good and i've played NSMB's wii on my pc before in hd and it looked great but i'm sure they'll probably add in some gimmicks to go with the new controller, it could be awesome, also i think nintendo really need to get making an exclusive game that is graphically strong, of course zelda would be the franchise to do that, still got the ninty conference to go, i feel like this was just a taster.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 04 Jun 2012, 09:37

From these screenshots, it would be easy to sum up the Wii U as the Wii and Xbox Live combined. Certainly disappointing.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby charliecheswick » 04 Jun 2012, 09:44

I wouldn't dismiss it as lazy or something that is doable on the Wii based on 5 seconds of footage. Iwata said that tomorrows presentation is almost exclusively for showing software and why the second screen will enhance gaming. Bit short-sighted to think the controller will not add essential fun new gameplay elements......imo.
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby stealth » 04 Jun 2012, 10:44

Dont listen to them, they are just insecure

They know the game is awesome and if its a launch title its going to sell out
stealth 47

Postby Cinaclov » 04 Jun 2012, 11:56

Barca Azul wrote:Will this not dent there handheld market though?

I was thinking almost the opposite actually. First of all because I'd imagine it has to be in range of the Wii U to function to any meaningful standard.

But also up until now we've had multiplayer games like Fourswords and Crystal Chronicles which sort of failed because of the requirements - For both those games on GC you needed a GC, a copy of the game, a GBA for each player and a connection cable. Last gen everything went wireless, cutting out the biggest problem (in my experience anyway) but no one seemed to bother making games that utilised it (even though the Wii and Ds install base was massive :/). Now we have a screen included with the console, as well as a big DS (and hopefully 3DS in the future) install base we're more likely to see games emerge that use seperate screen multiplayer (or at least I hope so anyway, they've been some of the best local multiplayer experiences for me). Hopefully, following this thought process we'll get more inter-console connectivity, which would possibly encourage more sales.

So, example, it's quite unlikely someone would have 2 DS's to play a multi-screen multiplayer game on Wii. But it's more likely that someone would have a 3DS and a Wii-U, meaning if a Wii-U Fourswords (or equivalent, I'm just using it as an example) came out and a friend showed up wanting to play multiplayer it you could. And we all know that getting someone to try something and enjoy it makes it more likely they'll buy it themselves.

But it all depends on how inter-connected the two (3, if you include DS) consoles are. Based on past form though I think we're at least guaranteed Pokemon based connectivity...
Cinaclov 63

Postby gguru1 » 04 Jun 2012, 13:50

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:From these screenshots, it would be easy to sum up the Wii U as the Wii and Xbox Live combined. Certainly disappointing.

Easy yes. But also patently incorrect.
gguru1 8
New user

Postby Imaduck » 04 Jun 2012, 15:19

I wasn't trying to pass definative judgement or be a dick with what I said. It was just a sort of "first impressions" thing. There's often so much hype that the end product doesn't have a hope of living up to it. Helps to have a little picking holes and balancign the scales. Sets realistic expectations which is more enjoyable for everyone. It sucks when something you're really looking forward to is overhyped then despite being brilliant it feels like a let down to part of you as it doesn't reach that imaginary mark you've built up.
Imaduck 58

Next