to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Poll: What's the best broadband for gaming?

Your comments on our articles.

Which pipe do you like?

Broadband provider O2 is offering an Xbox Live Subscription plus 2100 points for just £1... if you subscribe to its All Rounder or Works packages for a year.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Hey Pablo » 25 May 2012, 15:35

Anyone except Orange. Their default router, the DGN1000, actively shuts down connections to Xbox Live and has broken port forwarding tools.
Hey Pablo 36

Re: Poll: What's the best broadband for gaming?

Postby KittyKibblez619 » 25 May 2012, 15:42

Hey Pablo wrote:Anyone except Orange. Their default router, the DGN1000, actively shuts down connections to Xbox Live and has broken port forwarding tools.

Same for PS3 :(
"Smile Like You Mean It."
Currently playing;
XBOX 360 - Minecraft.
PS Vita - Escape Plan/LBP Vita.
PS3 - Skyrim.
KittyKibblez619 26

Xbox Live: KittyKlaws619
PSN ID: KittyKlaws619

Postby Toasted_PSP » 25 May 2012, 15:53

Virgin are the only company to offer high speed broadband in my area so I have no choice but to go with them.

Sadly the best ISP for gaming closed down when NTL and Telewest merged to form Virgin. Blueyonder gaming was awesome back in the day with a great website and forum and some really fast servers for online games, it was staffed by people that read the forums who would change map rotation and mods been ran if there was popular demand amongst the regular users. I was often able to get a single figure ping rating in their servers :shock: , If you know what proper ping ratings are rather than these phone style bars console games use you will know how good that was, particularly at a time when Broadband was still pretty slow compared to the speeds we get today.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby mowglippml » 25 May 2012, 15:55

I've had years of mostly reliable & fast service from Virgin throught the cable network, I never tried it wirelessly though. I currently am on a 1 year old BT Home Hub which is terrible wirelessly and even hardwired it gets horrendously slow at peak times (which seems like most of the time).
mowglippml 42

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 May 2012, 15:56

Virgin is without a doubt the best for gaming once set up correctly. BT I'd by far the worst due to the s**tty routers they use that are anti-gaming. And O2 is a great service for your a average broadand needs and by far the best customs service and best value for money.
Having been with most of the providers I wouldn't do without virgin if I can get away with it as cable is the way to go, but their customer service is p**s poor and they have a tendency to pretend your speed is ok if you have issues. However put your foot down once set up right it's nigh on flawless.

Edit- I forgot about Orange, avoid them like a plague! How the f**k they are still providing broadband (more like dial up) ill never know.

Also Virgin offer their best package with no 'peak' restrictions so you get full speed 24hrs a day.
Last edited by Mmmmgrolsch on 25 May 2012, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 May 2012, 15:58

I used to be on Sky BB but switched to Virgin earlier this year.

On Sky BB unlimited 20mbs, my PS3 would lose connection a good few times per night, I regularly would get kicked out of multiplayer games, at least 1/3 of my losses on FIFA 12 were down to the PS3 randomly losing the internet connection, regularly suffered from poor download speeds, usually on average between 5-8mbs via wireless.

Since switching to Virgin 30mbs deal, our experience has been much better, my PS3 no longer randomly loses connection and my download speeds have greatly improved, usually on average 10-15mbs again via wireless. I'm able to download 2.5GB demos & games on my 360 within 25 mins with Virgin.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Lady Gagagged » 25 May 2012, 15:59

If I lived in a cable area I'd go with virgin. My mates have virgin and weekends are fantastic for them but a bit slow and knackered for me.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby mowglippml » 25 May 2012, 16:02

Toasted_PSP wrote: Blueyonder gaming was awesome back in the day

I totally agree.
mowglippml 42

Postby damoxuk » 25 May 2012, 16:06

Very limited list there. Thing is it's not the speed of the connection when it comes to gaming but the time it takes to communicate back and forth. Unfortunately the big ones tend to lump gaming in with psp traffic.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby Sleepaphobic » 25 May 2012, 16:06

Guys just how bad is the throttling with Virgin?
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 May 2012, 16:15

Sleepaphobic wrote:Guys just how bad is the throttling with Virgin?

I've had no issues so far. If I'm planning on downloading something of a decent size (over 2GB) I tend to wait til 12-1am to to avoid peak times.

I think most use BT in my area though.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 May 2012, 16:20

I consume on average 100GB of data a month and never been throttled.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 May 2012, 16:25

I consume on average 100GB of data a month and never been throttled.

@Dodo, what are you using for your speed tests? Speedtest.net? Because if you're paying for 30MB on virgin through cable you should get 30MB I've never had 1-2MB less than what I'm told but then again I kick off when I have it installed and it's not what I'm supposed to be getting.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby KittyKibblez619 » 25 May 2012, 16:30

I have Virgin with the Super Hub and 50MB line although we have recently been updated to 100MB.

Since getting this I have had no problems with it.

Had Orange and Sky both with issues connecting or staying connected. Downloads were awfully long as well.
"Smile Like You Mean It."
Currently playing;
XBOX 360 - Minecraft.
PS Vita - Escape Plan/LBP Vita.
PS3 - Skyrim.
KittyKibblez619 26

Xbox Live: KittyKlaws619
PSN ID: KittyKlaws619

Postby ladycroft142 » 25 May 2012, 16:38

I'm in Ireland and because of my location I don't really have a choice in provider so I'm stuck with slow speeds and an unreliable connection. I might as well use the toilet pipe as my broadband pipe is just as s****y. :(
ladycroft142 45

Xbox Live: LadyLuck142
PSN ID: ladycroft142

Next