to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Overkill's next project is 'a very cool blend of Payday and

Your comments on our articles.

Stockholm-based studio partners with Valve for "an in-depth collaboration"

Payday: The Heist developer Overkill Entertainment has announced it's collaborating with Valve to create a "very cool blend of Payday and Left 4 Dead". We're as surprised as you probably are.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Overkill's next project is 'a very cool blend of Payday and

Postby rivariad » 21 May 2012, 11:01

its fuckin rubbish then
rivariad 46

Re: Overkill's next project is 'a very cool blend of Payday

Postby cult » 21 May 2012, 12:09

Payday is an underrated gem on PSN.
Well worth a tenner.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Jensonjet » 21 May 2012, 12:10

Excellent news. I love both franchises. I'm not entirely sure how such an amalgamation would work out, but I'm intrigued, and have faith in both developers, and both games. More importantly, if this means 360 owners get to play Payday, and Playstation gamers get to play Left4Dead, then that makes this deal worthwhile regardless of the outcome of the game. Both are excellent co-op games, and both require teamwork and communication, at least on the proper (harder) difficulties. Something very much missing from the usual online gaming suspects. If only the major franchises could incorporate decent 4-player co-op into their games, now that would be great to see. Maybe if this new partnership/game becomes really popular other developers will have a little more faith in 4-player co-op and see the benefit, and potential financial reward of offering this game-type into their games.
Jensonjet 47

Postby Jensonjet » 21 May 2012, 12:17

rivariad wrote:its fuckin rubbish then

Ok, so you don't like either franchises. Co-op isn't for everyone. People with poor communication skills, those that can't work as part of a team, those that believe they're better than everyone else, and that other gamers hold them back, admittedly will never get on with a pure co-op game. And as both these franchises are excellent examples of pure co-op, if the game type doesn't suit you it was always going to be a fruitless task trying to play them. Perhaps you'd be best sticking with adversarial multiplayer where communication is either non existent or minimal and you can play lone-wolf. Some of us can play either way, and some people I guess are limited in how they can play and lack communication and team playing skills. Alternatively perhaps you should just play single player and never have the inconvenience of other gamers overshadowing your abilities.
Jensonjet 47

Postby badgerpog » 21 May 2012, 13:10

Zombie police?
badgerpog 60

PSN ID: badgerpog
Steam: badgerpog

Postby JCHN » 21 May 2012, 13:16

So a team if criminals try to commit several crimes, and every time they do, the government send in their secret army of the undead, with complete police uniforms.
That IS what the game will be, right???
JCHN 56

Postby TimHotston » 21 May 2012, 18:19

I smell a Left for Dead prequel set around the time of the outbreak, here you play a squad that ventures in trying to get survivors out of a town/city. You use the commands to tell them to hide, wait, follow while you and your team clear the route of zombies. The amount of people that you save gives you a score so that you can go through and try and beat your teams top score, also there will be moments in which the team are forced to split up and have some cover one another or have the other teams lives in their hands.

What do you fine chaps think about that?
TimHotston 45

Postby Legend Turtle » 21 May 2012, 21:28

TimHotston wrote:I smell a Left for Dead prequel set around the time of the outbreak, here you play a squad that ventures in trying to get survivors out of a town/city. You use the commands to tell them to hide, wait, follow while you and your team clear the route of zombies. The amount of people that you save gives you a score so that you can go through and try and beat your teams top score, also there will be moments in which the team are forced to split up and have some cover one another or have the other teams lives in their hands.

What do you fine chaps think about that?

Sounds a bit too RTS to me.

I like shooting zombies, I am not a fan of robberies though; what they should do is cross it with an alien invasion where you are retrieving futuristic tech from a zombie-like horde of aliens. That's got 'circus appeal' with nobs on, perhaps literally.
Bureaucrat Conrad, you are technically correct -- the best kind of correct.

Guards! Bring me the forms I need to fill out to have her taken away!
Legend Turtle 44

Postby TimHotston » 21 May 2012, 21:52

What I'm wondering is whether they will incorporate the Left for Dead mythos into that of Half Life like what they did with Portal; perhaps Black Mesa had experiment that went wrong or maybe there are more companies than just Black Mesa and Arpature Science.
TimHotston 45