to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why I Love... Fallout

Your comments on our articles.

Rob Taylor pines for Bobby Pins and Pip Boy 3000...

"War. War never changes..." Ron 'Beast' Perlman is a bona fide B-movie hero, but of all his bizarre roles he'll never, ever top that iconic line - four words that'll forever send a shiver down my spine. Maybe I'm biased.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Why I Love... Fallout

Postby budge » 20 May 2012, 15:14

Why. Fallout. Was. Ruined. By. Freezing. Every. Five. Seconds! :(
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Why I Love... Fallout

Postby The_Inebriator » 20 May 2012, 15:19

My favourate bit is at the end of Fallout 3 when you fire up that massive capitalist stomping robot who says "Democracy is not a choice!" while dealing some out decidedly right wing justice.
The_Inebriator 35

Re: Why I Love... Fallout

Postby illage2 » 20 May 2012, 15:59

I can't say I liked Fallout 1 & 2, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas are very very good.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 20 May 2012, 16:05

The_Inebriator wrote:My favourate bit is at the end of Fallout 3 when you fire up that massive capitalist stomping robot who says "Democracy is not a choice!" while dealing some out decidedly right wing justice.

Embrace democracy, or you will be eradicated!

Spoilers for Fallout 3 DLC

Such a shame to see him get blown up. :(
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby Dralel » 20 May 2012, 16:14

***MINOR SPOILERS***
One of my favourite quests on FO3 was entering the hotel, going room-to-room, blowing the sh** out of Super Mutants. Then heading to the rooftop, you're informed you must hold and defend, where waves of enemies come rushing at you.
***END OF SPOILERS***
Yeah, this game is amazing.
Dralel 36

Steam: Dralel

Postby Cogglesz » 20 May 2012, 16:39

Fallout is one of my favourite series, the story and the characters and the enviroments are insane, i can spend a good hour looking through the fallout wiki timeline, its absolutley massive and theres always things you miss, i love the feel the games give me, people will always moan about the recent games bugs but i'm a fan of the lot of them, one of the first things i was thinking during my first time playing skyrim was how awesome fallout 4 is going to be when it comes around, i can't wait!

Also i agree about the 4 words voiced by Ron perlman, epic intro.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby dicky1993 » 20 May 2012, 16:52

i f**king loved fallout 3 can't wait till i get going with new vegas ultimate edition!
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby Reegeee » 20 May 2012, 17:33

Best mission on FO3 for me was I think on the Point Lookout DLC, where you have that magic mushroom or whatever it is and everything goes mental.

Still have to do the NV DLC so I'll look forward to that.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby gmcb007 » 20 May 2012, 18:43

Fallout is my favourite series in present time. It was such a breath of fresh air when I picked up F3 when it came out and found myself getting more than 2 weeks gameplay out of it on my first run!

My only real criticism with the recent games is that they reuse too much of the enviroment models and buildings to the point that some locations just feel like a fan-made mod. Its even more disheartening when you look at the amazing concept art done by the late Adam Adamowicz and then you compare it to the actual game contents.

Seriously guys, if you're big fallout fans then you have to see the fantastic concept art.

I can't wait to see Fallout 4 now that it will have an updated engine. I just hope its more like the FO3 waste with more freedom than the NV wasteland that had factions making up a large amount of the map, oh and the fact that there was well too much pointless map icons.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby PevMaster » 20 May 2012, 19:24

gmcb007 wrote:Fallout is my favourite series in present time. It was such a breath of fresh air when I picked up F3 when it came out and found myself getting more than 2 weeks gameplay out of it on my first run!

My only real criticism with the recent games is that they reuse too much of the enviroment models and buildings to the point that some locations just feel like a fan-made mod. Its even more disheartening when you look at the amazing concept art done by the late Adam Adamowicz and then you compare it to the actual game contents.

Seriously guys, if you're big fallout fans then you have to see the fantastic concept art.

I can't wait to see Fallout 4 now that it will have an updated engine. I just hope its more like the FO3 waste with more freedom than the NV wasteland that had factions making up a large amount of the map, oh and the fact that there was well too much pointless map icons.

I do agree with you when you say the environmental models are recycled, but there is definitely a lot more freedom in New Vegas. The element of choice...is just so incredibly astounding. Everything you do has so much of an effect, it even comes close to Mass Effect when it comes to choice.

The map is much larger than F3's and the reason there's a lot of faction territory is because New Vegas is a lot more alive than the Capital Wasteland, which was heavily hit by the nukes. New Vegas fared better, and therefore there is far more life in the Mojave Wasteland.

Still loving your icon, btw ;)
PevMaster 33

Postby jm3811 » 20 May 2012, 19:36

Fallout seems to lack the wow factor that you get in Bioshock. The concept is excellent but the visuals are nothing compared to a MGS and the voice acting is terrible. So it falls short by today's standards. I did not try Vegas; perhaps it has a style that makes it more appealing. If not that would be the way to go.
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby PevMaster » 20 May 2012, 20:41

One of my favourite Fallout moments is when you enter The Strip in New Vegas. In hindsight, it was quite small but it brought so many great quests to my plate. Or, erm, Pip-Boy.

But the moment in New Vegas DLC Old World Blues when you meet your brain is great as well, if a bit...weird.
PevMaster 33

Postby corkscru74 » 20 May 2012, 23:09

jm3811 wrote:Fallout seems to lack the wow factor that you get in Bioshock. The concept is excellent but the visuals are nothing compared to a MGS and the voice acting is terrible. So it falls short by today's standards. I did not try Vegas; perhaps it has a style that makes it more appealing. If not that would be the way to go.

Ah yes, Bioshock and Metal Gear Solid, those classic open-world RPGs.... :roll:

I avoided Fallout 3 on release, I'm not a massive fan of futuristic settings. Then I picked it up cheap and my opinion was turned on it's head. I love the progression, from cowering behind pillars, hiding from supermutants at the start of the game...then one-shotting them from half a mile away later on. VATS was a revelation too. VATS made playing a Sniper character a viable option for me (I can't do shooters on consoles, when the action gets going I start to panic and fire everywhere but the enemy) and for that I salute it.

Can't wait for Fallout 4!!! :lol:
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby gmcb007 » 21 May 2012, 00:01

PevMaster wrote:
gmcb007 wrote:Fallout is my favourite series in present time. It was such a breath of fresh air when I picked up F3 when it came out and found myself getting more than 2 weeks gameplay out of it on my first run!

I do agree with you when you say the environmental models are recycled, but there is definitely a lot more freedom in New Vegas. The element of choice...is just so incredibly astounding. Everything you do has so much of an effect, it even comes close to Mass Effect when it comes to choice.

The map is much larger than F3's and the reason there's a lot of faction territory is because New Vegas is a lot more alive than the Capital Wasteland, which was heavily hit by the nukes. New Vegas fared better, and therefore there is far more life in the Mojave Wasteland.

Still loving your icon, btw ;)

Haha thanks! :o

You've got a point with the freedom in F:NV. But I feel there wasn't as much big buildings or old military bases to loot that didn't already contain a faction you're trying to keep sweet.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby STE MO » 21 May 2012, 00:06

budge wrote:Why. Fallout. Was. Ruined. By. Freezing. Every. Five. Seconds! :(

That was what New Vegas was like for me, but being a hero, I stuck with it, although I didn't put as many hours into it as F3, as I got it as a stop gap to Skyrim, never the less it's a great series and well deserves Fallout 4 to be even better. Bring it on Vault overseers!
STE MO 51

Next