Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not with

Your comments on our articles.

Rockstar's reinvention rated...

By the time we'd finished Max Payne 3, we'd killed over 1400 people. From start to finish, the game is a violent tornado of death and destruction, and one of the bloodiest, most relentless shooters ever. It has all the cinematic flair, polish, and production values you might expect from a Rockstar game - but it's missing some of the surreal magic that made the original games so memorable.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not with

Postby Stryker89 » 14 May 2012, 17:02

Oh man... I was genuinely expecting higher than that... Oh well, I'll still probably get it.
User avatar
Stryker89 61
 
Posts: 1492
Joined: 30 Jun 2010, 17:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not with

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 14 May 2012, 17:08

I was worried Remedy's lack of development would have a bad result, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT result. Rockstar do great as long as they stick to their own material. I'm okay being told the story from a custscene perspective but only if the story is decently told and at least interesting and engaging. From previews and trailers I don't think I'm honestly interested enough in the story and as great as the multiplayer is being touted, not interested in that at all. This'll be a rental at first. If the review was too harsh and it turns out I enjoy it more than this makes me think I won't, I'll definitely pick it up.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
Image
User avatar
TheCrimsonFenix 70
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not with

Postby Currambo » 14 May 2012, 17:09

The bad points presented in this review don't worry me really, a LONG max payne game, with lots of slow mo headshots is all i want!
And to be honest, having just played through MP2, that game wasnt really that humourous apart from protecting captain baseball bat boy and the odd in-game TV show. I like the humour in Max Payne, but its not the main draw for me!
Good review though!
Can't wait for this game!
Currambo 54
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 22 Mar 2012, 14:37
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby El Mag » 14 May 2012, 17:15

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I was worried Remedy's lack of development would have a bad result, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT result. Rockstar do great as long as they stick to their own material. I'm okay being told the story from a custscene perspective but only if the story is decently told and at least interesting and engaging. From previews and trailers I don't think I'm honestly interested enough in the story and as great as the multiplayer is being touted, not interested in that at all. This'll be a rental at first. If the review was too harsh and it turns out I enjoy it more than this makes me think I won't, I'll definitely pick it up.


Here's the IGN review if you wanted another to compare this one against.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/14/m ... e-3-review
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
User avatar
El Mag 68
 
Posts: 9078
Joined: 14 Sep 2010, 12:20
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby ChotaDon » 14 May 2012, 17:17

Woow seriously CVG your complaining about the game being to long? I dont know about you but the more gameplay the better at least then I get my moneys worth. :?
ChotaDon 23
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 19:51
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 14 May 2012, 17:24

Thanks Mag. Gotta say that review is better in my opinion. Far more informative than this cvg one. It's gone back up on my list now.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
Image
User avatar
TheCrimsonFenix 70
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby Gambini » 14 May 2012, 17:27

GameTrailers just gave this a 7.6 and mentioned the same "one note" gameplay, so it does sound like the SP get's really repetitive :( Shame as I'm only really interested in the SP Campaign.

I really want to pick this up on release, but I just know it's going to be like £20 in a month or so!
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 11:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby BOS_J32 » 14 May 2012, 17:28

Stryker89 wrote:Oh man... I was genuinely expecting higher than that... Oh well, I'll still probably get it.


I wouldnt worry at this point, the reviewing process/scores are broken imo and have been for the past 3 years or so.
It is still to early to know, wait for more reviews and filter out the common pros and cons and read between the lines..
Half the time it seems that the reviewing party only cared to rush out a review to be "first" or early to gain hits and some of those same reviews are questionable in regards to being written as i or you couldve at this moment, WITHOUT playing the game, seems like many are written w/o playing the game or at any length more than say a "demo", happens too often, rushed reviews.. I would like to see all the critics somehow prove that they had played the game through or at any length at all.. I am not saying this is what is happening here, i enjoy this site, all im saying is maybe wait for more reviews before making up your mind either way. Personally i have enough confidence in rockstar that i will be picking up my pr-order and know that this will be a fun game. As long as the game is pretty, action packed and "alive" I dont think "very long/too long" can be a con.. with many games spamming 4-5 hour campaigns which are nothing more than turkey shoots/multiplayer practice, i welcome a good lengthy game so as long as its nice to look at and fun to play
BOS_J32 6
New user
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 14 May 2012, 17:18

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby JOHNKARA » 14 May 2012, 17:28

Two things I took from the review that reaffirm my total commitment to buy this game - in fact it is pre-ordered:

1. "The game is way too long."
2. "It's also punishingly difficult"

These are the two standards that I use to measure gaming genius..............Rockstar U Rock..........

Now, please please please release Manhunt 3. The first game is, to this date, one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences ever.
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 47
 
Posts: 582
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 17:34
Location: South Africa

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby BOS_J32 » 14 May 2012, 17:29

El Mag wrote:
TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I was worried Remedy's lack of development would have a bad result, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT result. Rockstar do great as long as they stick to their own material. I'm okay being told the story from a custscene perspective but only if the story is decently told and at least interesting and engaging. From previews and trailers I don't think I'm honestly interested enough in the story and as great as the multiplayer is being touted, not interested in that at all. This'll be a rental at first. If the review was too harsh and it turns out I enjoy it more than this makes me think I won't, I'll definitely pick it up.


Here's the IGN review if you wanted another to compare this one against.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/14/m ... e-3-review



Yes and they praised the lengthy campaign..
BOS_J32 6
New user
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 14 May 2012, 17:18

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 14 May 2012, 17:30

JOHNKARA wrote:Two things I took from the review that reaffirm my total commitment to buy this game - in fact it is pre-ordered:

1. "The game is way too long."
2. "It's also punishingly difficult"

These are the two standards that I use to measure gaming genius..............Rockstar U Rock..........

Now, please please please release Manhunt 3. The first game is, to this date, one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences ever.


+1 x100
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
Image
User avatar
TheCrimsonFenix 70
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby WHITEyy118 » 14 May 2012, 17:30

ChotaDon wrote:Woow seriously CVG your complaining about the game being to long? I dont know about you but the more gameplay the better at least then I get my moneys worth. :?


That's my exact thought. It's like they want to say negative things about MP3.

Sure a long campaign may be monotonous (for some) but I'd rather that than it be over as soon as it gets exciting. Plus the game has MP (not sure how good it'll be) so it makes a change to get both, a long campaign and MP.
WHITEyy118 39
 
Posts: 371
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 19:03

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby BOS_J32 » 14 May 2012, 17:33

JOHNKARA wrote:Two things I took from the review that reaffirm my total commitment to buy this game - in fact it is pre-ordered:

1. "The game is way too long."
2. "It's also punishingly difficult"

These are the two standards that I use to measure gaming genius..............Rockstar U Rock..........

Now, please please please release Manhunt 3. The first game is, to this date, one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences ever.



lol, i agree !! also the story has been praised in other reviews, words like "masterful", "beautiful"..
also the arcade mode will add more replay value/hours of sp
BOS_J32 6
New user
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 14 May 2012, 17:18

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby luttman23 » 14 May 2012, 17:35

I'll be getting this on the PC, so I won't have a 'right stick' or 'shoulder buttons' and those who buy the game on PS3 wont have an 'A' button. Not everyone buys every game on the Xbox you know, even if it was the console you tested the game on - you're a gaming site not an Xbox site! Phew. Well, having taken out my rage on a small oversight that normally wouldn't p**s me off so much I feel much better. So thanks for that.

I imagine it will play a lot better on the PC, so the later levels may be more fun. How can you complain about it being too long? What's wrong with you?

It's a shame that Max is still pretty much a one trick pony and the amount of lengthy cut-scenes does worry me, I'm sure pressing Esc will offer me a quick fix to the latter problem though. I'll be buying it anyway, when it's on sale a few months after release.

PS: Sorry for getting angry at you, I still love you, you know that, right?
Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories. -Polybius
User avatar
luttman23 47
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 13:53
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Re: Max Payne 3 review: Slick, bloody, beautiful... but not

Postby Stryker89 » 14 May 2012, 17:44

Reviews seem to be very mixed so far. Gamesradar for example, has given it 10/10. I've seen no complaints yet about the gameplay itself, the general consensus is that the shooting mechanics are superb. Most complaints seem to be aimed at the storyline, which is odd for a Rockstar game.
User avatar
Stryker89 61
 
Posts: 1492
Joined: 30 Jun 2010, 17:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]