Starhawk review: Campaign is a missed opportunity, but multi

Your comments on our articles.

Lightbox builds, and improves, one of the PS3's best...

While it's not mentioned in the same breath as other PS3 heavyweights such as the Uncharted, God Of War and Resistance franchises, Warhawk has always been something of a cult favourite among Sony shooter fanboys.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Starhawk review: Campaign is a missed opportunity, but multi

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 09 May 2012, 12:13

As an xbox fan, got to give it to sony, they really are bringing some fantastic exclusives to the platform.
Two Pennys Worth 57

Re: Starhawk review: Campaign is a missed opportunity, but m

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 09 May 2012, 13:00

Knocking a multiplayer game down for lack of decent single player? Yet BF3 didn't get knocked for one of the worst campaigns in a FPS game? Baffled.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby rena_man » 09 May 2012, 13:16

So pumped for this game, it's gonna be my main multiplayer game for a long time, I'm hoping.
rena_man 14

PSN ID: Rena_man
Steam: rena_man

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 09 May 2012, 14:07

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:Knocking a multiplayer game down for lack of decent single player? Yet BF3 didn't get knocked for one of the worst campaigns in a FPS game? Baffled.

In your opinion, i know the bf3 single player wasn't as innovative as some would of liked and used the same structure as BLOPs but i really enjoyed it, i've noticed you always find an opportunity to bring it up and slag it off.
Two Pennys Worth 57

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 09 May 2012, 15:20

Edit- double post.

Whilst I'm here, BF3s SP was just badly programmed, it was trying to be like CoD but looked silly for it.
Last edited by Mmmmgrolsch on 09 May 2012, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 09 May 2012, 15:21

I haven't mentioned BF3 since around November. Also, the highlight was the rat biting my finger, wasnt just my opinion. My point is that CVG ripped into BF3s crap campaign themselves which is why I'm confused. They didn't moan about BF3 not having the full package, instead said its ok because it's primarily an Online game.
I'm not in any way disagreeing with this review, heck I don't even care about the game. I'd just like to see some consistency across the board, can't be that difficult surely?
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Postby stevied » 09 May 2012, 16:12

A f**king brilliant new and inovative game that s**ts on all the f**king cod clone after cod clone that gamers have had to put up with FOR YEARS!!!! and you give it a f**king 8???

Am I living in a world were retards have somehow taken over the world through top jobs an have further spread the aids by only employing grade A retards to work for them????

By the way BF3 was s**t MP and s**t SP, if that game was released 5-10 years ago by another game dev (graphics of the time taken into account) it would have died on its f**king ass and all the copies sent to the desert to join its gaming equivalent f**king E.T on the atari. Its a kids game made for children FFS

Anyway f**k BF3 starhawk looks amazing and plays amazing so thankyou for making a great game guys!!!!
stevied 24

Postby veato » 09 May 2012, 17:09

stevied wrote:A f**king brilliant new and inovative game that s**ts on all the f**king cod clone after cod clone that gamers have had to put up with FOR YEARS!!!! and you give it a f**king 8???

Am I living in a world were retards have somehow taken over the world through top jobs an have further spread the aids by only employing grade A retards to work for them????

By the way BF3 was s**t MP and s**t SP, if that game was released 5-10 years ago by another game dev (graphics of the time taken into account) it would have died on its f**king ass and all the copies sent to the desert to join its gaming equivalent f**king E.T on the atari. Its a kids game made for children FFS

Anyway f**k BF3 starhawk looks amazing and plays amazing so thankyou for making a great game guys!!!!

Go and have a lie down son before you hurt yourself
What I'm Playing Most: Ni No Kuni (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / Kerbal Space Program (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 48

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby kirankara » 09 May 2012, 20:33

I hear ya mate.

bf3 campaign was pooh, it was slightly more enjoyable than the sp in mw3 imo, but was still pooh.

I dont see giving game a 8 as laying into it though. As a package an 8 seems fair. From wording of review it's clear that the sp is bad and mp is damn good.

If they gave bf3 a 9 (cant honestly remember) and laid into sp then I'm in agreement, there is definitely need for consistency. This has a much smoother framerate than either console version, no screen tearing from what I can see, and seems to be a very good mp game in own right with an element of innovation.

Cant say I thought bf3 was very good tbh, and I loved BC2, somehow it just didnt sit well with me.
kirankara 57

Postby dadada_999 » 09 May 2012, 22:23

As someone who has played Warhawk, I am one to say that final verdict on this game should have taken into consideration the MP and SP modes at a ratio of 80 to 20. So far the single player mode seems to have dragged down the score for this game by more than a point, and this seems to be the case for every reviewing site with the exception of IGN. You guys have mentioned Battlefield 3. To be fair, the single player did affect its overall score to the extent that it wasn't quite the rival of MW3 that everyone wanted. However, this comparison isn't exact. Those who bought BF3 did in fact expect a good campaign, as good as the ones in BF2, and Bad Company games. Those like myself who consider Starhawk to be the sequel to the multiplayer-only Warhawk are not going to care in the slightest for the campaign. Warhawk had no single player period, and for a long time, the joke was that the opposing sides could well be cats vs dogs! In warhawk, multiplayer, online gameplay was all that counted, and to veterans who waited 5 years for Starhawk it is all that matters. It is a bit disappointing that the campaign doesn't seem to be great. I didn't really expect the devs to get it right the first time. On the other hand i can see how if a reviewer was to compare this with a triple-A title like say Gears of War, well this game isn't going to get a high score.
dadada_999 3
New user

Postby stevied » 10 May 2012, 14:42

I just get a little p**sed at the gatekeepers of the computer game industry (review sites and mags) that hype and give a review based on hype to games that need to be reviewed as a bad game.

This industry is a crock of s**t right now but brilliant games can be made (indie) with little money and a little soul. The odd game that bypasses the dumbed down generic copy and paste model of games in this generation need to be highly praised if they give a fun and new experience to gamers.

The reason i get so mad is that i dont want the next gen (consoles) to repeat the most boring and complete 10 steps back game development that has sucked the industry dryfor the last 5+ years.

If mags and sites cannot give an actual review based on the game as a whole and in the game industry in general then whats the point of them? I dont want to read reviews that keep up the status quo of a corrupt industry trying to give people validation that there dumbed down generic copy and paste model of games is they way things are and that everyone enjoys them so get with the program.

We've settled into a comfortable, lazy and quick fix way of gaming that is going to come back and bite everybody in the ass.

My generation (im 28) has had to put up with a complete 5-10 year step back in games, we've had the odd gem dont get me wrong but its 5-10 years of wasted time, ideas, inovation and industry standards of gameplay.

What about the generation of gamers that has now matured 18-21 and over, you think these guys want the a repeat of the same s**t that they've been playing since they first bought there xbox360/ps3/pc?

It will change for the better i know but a good old moan never hurt anyone
stevied 24

Postby ashadian » 11 May 2012, 10:24

Looks a brilliant game to me! Defo getting it ASAP!
ashadian 60

Postby rmorgan779 » 11 May 2012, 19:18

i loved warhawk read the review for starhawk great went and got it this morning all i can say is think twice this game is gloss and polish the depth of building things is shallow to say the least the game is i would have to say boring and a massive dissapointment warhawk was excellent i just cant believe it just another red faction in my opinion a payed for review i would have to say
rmorgan779 31

Xbox Live: rmorgan779
PSN ID: azreal779